The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Between The Pipes

Rate this topic

VIC_CITY

We do have a lot of goalies in our system now...Marky, Demko, Bachmen, Dipietro, Kielly, McIntyre, and now Silovs...could be as simple as Bachmen retiring this season, he has 1 year left on his contract. But I just see no way he gets any games with all the young guys fighting for spots.

But it could be possible they are prepping for a mid season trade. It's Markys net to lose. No way they trade Demko until they see what both have at the start of the season. If they are neck and neck they have some tough choices to make on who they protect come expansion time. You can only protect 1 goalie so there is definitely something brewing behind the scenes if you ask me.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

The OP could be on to something - I also highly doubt we trade Markstrom if he’s posting plus .920 numbers and we are winning often with him net.  Of the two I also doubt Markstrom gets us a number one even if he’s done this - too many goalies have had a great year or two and then been average at best and none of those guys get traded for much. Demko on the other hand has way more appeal - as long as he’s also got decent numbers and could get us a first.  Said it a few days ago that the only way we are getting a first is if we traded a core player or a highly touted prospect...I suggested Miller as a joke.   This scenario could actually happen - and maybe it is Markstrom but like the OP suggests playoffs are the goal and who gives us a better chance to win now and the next couple years?   It’s been a while since we had two good goalies...MD stock has slipped a little but he’s still a good prospect - and like I’ve already said it’s not hard or expensive to get a back-up look at ours from last year one played great for CAR and the other (for those paying attention) some experts think has a decent chance of getting his first chance as a starter...

I suggested we trade Markstrom at the draft, only because he is 29 and the core is early 20s. that was before we signed the FA's July 1.

Markstrom has had one good year. I would love to see him continue that performance into this season. 29 while not old is still a bit older than the emerging core on this team. I still see him as inconsistent as of yet.

Depending on how Demko plays and Markstrom as well we could either have a solid tandem in net like when Luongo and Schneider were here, or we might have complete chaos if neither really takes a step forward. If both play well and we are going to trade a goalie it should most likely be Marky only due to his age. I like that we have competition in goal at all levels of the organization. That's a good thing.

You asked the question who gives us the best chance to win in the next couple years?? I dont believe that question has been answered yet. Is Markstrom the goalie of the last half of last year or the guy we saw struggle the last four or so. Is Thatcher the next Jordan Binnington? If he matures into the role enough maybe thats the best answer to your question. I am not sold on who will take the crease from whom. Its a wait and see situation to me.

Edited by mikeyman109
  • Upvote 1

I agree one of these top goalies will be traded .. If in playoff race this will not happen until season is over? This season will show us if Markstrom can play like a top 10 goalie again like last season..Demko will play well and competition will be great for team..I feel if Demko plays 30 games and his stats are similar to Markstrom, Benning will sign and trade Markstrom.. Vancouver will try and sign Markstrom to new contract during season this will allow them to trade him and not lose him as a UFA in the summer of 2020..

Markstrom should sign for 4.8 million, --- Markstrom should get Benning a middle to late 1st rounder......

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I agree one of these top goalies will be traded .. If in playoff race this will not happen until season is over? This season will show us if Markstrom can play like a top 10 goalie again like last season..Demko will play well and competition will be great for team..I feel if Demko plays 30 games and his stats are similar to Markstrom, Benning will sign and trade Markstrom.. Vancouver will try and sign Markstrom to new contract during season this will allow them to trade him and not lose him as a UFA in the summer of 2020..

Markstrom should sign for 4.8 million, --- Markstrom should get Benning a middle to late 1st rounder......

The only thing i would argue here is that goalies do not tend to get first round picks in trades. and Marky is not the next Patrick Roy

24 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Opinions like this is why so many fans crap all over benning. Unreal expectations.

There is no way marky gets you a first. Hes 30 years old and has only had half a season of success. Even if he has a great year, that's only about 2 half seasons of success (if you deal him at the deadline) and if he is having a great year and we are in a playoff spot.. than why would you trade your starting goalie??

Whatever happens I just hope that benning doesnt treat our goalies the way Gillis did, cause we went from Luongo and Schneider to Markstrom and lack in the blink of an eye. What an implosion of the crease that was, and that's why Gillis doesnt have an NHL job.

I think Demko will show he's capable of winning games this season and Markstrom could become expendable. The future backup position will have Kielly, DiPietro and Silovs battling it out for that spot. Actually though, when I first saw the thread about them signing Silovs, my first thought was DiPietro might not be in their future plans with the emergence of the bigger Silovs. That 7-goals against (0.708 sv%) game DiPietro started in last year was a bit of a disaster and he's nowhere near ready. Maybe the future tandem will be Demko/Silovs?  

• Upvote 1

If Markstrom is re-signed prior to the expansion draft, then perhaps they are looking at moving Demko.

If the Canucks let Markstrom's contract end next year (and expose him to the expansion draft with the hopes of re-signing him after said draft) and protect Demko, then they are more than likely *wanting* to keep him and Demko,  and DiPietro and...

regards,  G.

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

The OP could be on to something - I also highly doubt we trade Markstrom if he’s posting plus .920 numbers and we are winning often with him net.  Of the two I also doubt Markstrom gets us a number one even if he’s done this - too many goalies have had a great year or two and then been average at best and none of those guys get traded for much. Demko on the other hand has way more appeal - as long as he’s also got decent numbers and could get us a first.  Said it a few days ago that the only way we are getting a first is if we traded a core player or a highly touted prospect...I suggested Miller as a joke.   This scenario could actually happen - and maybe it is Markstrom but like the OP suggests playoffs are the goal and who gives us a better chance to win now and the next couple years?   It’s been a while since we had two good goalies...MD stock has slipped a little but he’s still a good prospect - and like I’ve already said it’s not hard or expensive to get a back-up look at ours from last year one played great for CAR and the other (for those paying attention) some experts think has a decent chance of getting his first chance as a starter...

When you do the math, it makes sense for a number of reasons. Obviously you could argue that Demko has more potential and is a cheaper option moving forward, but you can't ignore the path we're on as an organization. So if Markstrom keeps doing his thing, you know Benning is going to double down on him with an extension and it's not going to be 1 or 2 years. Markstrom could easily get a 4-5 year deal on the open market with another solid season. So in that case, Demko's days are likely numbered and like you said, we could easily get a decent backup on 1-2 year deal in free agency.

7 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its hard to say @VIC_CITY but what I do like is they seem to be getting ready for it. Goalies are so hard to predict that it sure doesn't hurt to have a lot of them around. 

Nothings going to happen immediately tho, Mikey hasn't proved himself even at the AHL level, the other guys are development prospects. 

I could see Demko being the guy we keep - or at least not expose to Seattle - tho, mostly for cap reasons if he has a breakout season and Marky can't repeat his performance. Its going to be an interesting year in net thats for sure. 

For sure, anything can happen. This was just a hypothetical assuming Markstrom comes back with another (team) MVP caliber season. I think the Canucks have a lot of belief in Markstrom's ability. Obviously you don't rush to re-sign him given how goalies fluctuate from year to year, but we all saw how good he was. That was the best performance by a Canucks goalie since the Luongo days. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

When you do the math, it makes sense for a number of reasons. Obviously you could argue that Demko has more potential and is a cheaper option moving forward, but you can't ignore the path we're on as an organization. So if Markstrom keeps doing his thing, you know Benning is going to double down on him with an extension and it's not going to be 1 or 2 years. Markstrom could easily get a 4-5 year deal on the open market with another solid season. So in that case, Demko's days are likely numbered and like you said, we could easily get a decent backup on 1-2 year deal in free agency.

The math is just that - we don’t really have a handle on it yet - will Markstrom regress into his career average - will Demko post better numbers? We don’t know yet - yes it’s a possibility and even a fair odds one - but we will have to wait and see how things unfold, MD would also have to do well which is another consideration..

6 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

The only thing i would argue here is that goalies do not tend to get first round picks in trades. and Marky is not the next Patrick Roy

Yep. Demko is the guy that can get us back that 1st, even if it's in the 20-30 range.

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

The math is just that - we don’t really have a handle on it yet - will Markstrom regress into his career average - will Demko post better numbers? We don’t know yet - yes it’s a possibility and even a fair odds one - but we will have to wait and see how things unfold, MD would also have to do well which is another consideration..

Assuming both goalies play really well and let's say we made the playoffs (:towel:), we'd lose our 1st round pick this year. Then I could see Benning trading Demko at the draft. So that would only give us 1 year to judge MD at the AHL level. I'm not sure we'd get a good enough read on him in a year. So we'd definitely need to dip into the free agent market for a shorter term back up. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think Demko will show he's capable of winning games this season and Markstrom could become expendable. The future backup position will have Kielly, DiPietro and Silovs battling it out for that spot. Actually though, when I first saw the thread about them signing Silovs, my first thought was DiPietro might not be in their future plans with the emergence of the bigger Silovs. That 7-goals against (0.708 sv%) game DiPietro started in last year was a bit of a disaster and he's nowhere near ready. Maybe the future tandem will be Demko/Silovs?  

Tough to put any weight into DiPietro's 1 NHL game, playing against one of the best offences in the NHL. I was at that game and he literally got zero help from his teammates. If I was Travis Green I would have been FURIOUS and I'm sure he ripped them a new one back in the locker room. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Why not keep both goalies and let Seattle take the one we don't protect? I don't understand why we have to trade either one because we have a bunch of low tier goalies in the system. It's like I am on crazy glue when I read CDC talk about goalies.

The last expansion draft was between Sbisa and Gaunce and you want to give away Demko or Markstrom??

57 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Assuming both goalies play really well and let's say we made the playoffs (:towel:), we'd lose our 1st round pick this year. Then I could see Benning trading Demko at the draft. So that would only give us 1 year to judge MD at the AHL level. I'm not sure we'd get a good enough read on him in a year. So we'd definitely need to dip into the free agent market for a shorter term back up. 

This is a possible scenario - probably more likely Demko  splits the games, looks good and Markstrom is traded at the TDL for whatever we can get and we also trade for a suitable back-up for the rest of the season.  I’m pretty sure in JB mind and  the rest of the fans we part ways with placeholder team tank Markstrom (because that’s what his primary role has been, at least until he finally broke out (not expected but a pleasant surprise) - as part of us doesn’t really trust it yet.   Two out of six senior THN writers picked Markstrom to lose his starter job this year - Alf agrees ha ha it could happen and then he’s out for sure.  

That’s the real dialogue that we as fans and the hockey world are expecting what your proposing is valid but it’s also not the expectation.   More likely we trade Markstrom for whatever we can get and get back a proven back-up and a pick to even it out or trade him for whatever we can get and make a separate trade for an Elliot type.

I do think it’s a valid point, but also don’t think see the logic in going with Markstrom long term if Demko is posting similar stats, even if it’s against worst competition.  Highly doubtful we’d get a first for Markstrom unless a team is desperate... it could happen... but even then if we are in the playoffs don’t think FA would want to trade either of them even with the ED looming too.   You never do know this could happen, but the odds are stacked against it quite a bit.  Do think the draft is when we will see one them go...

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, IBatch said:

This is a possible scenario - probably more likely Demko  splits the games, looks good and Markstrom is traded at the TDL for whatever we can get and we also trade for a suitable back-up for the rest of the season.  I’m pretty sure in JB mind and  the rest of the fans we part ways with placeholder team tank Markstrom (because that’s what his primary role has been, at least until he finally broke out (not expected but a pleasant surprise) - as part of us doesn’t really trust it yet.   Two out of six senior THN writers picked Markstrom to lose his starter job this year - Alf agrees ha ha it could happen and then he’s out for sure.  

That’s the real dialogue that we as fans and the hockey world are expecting what your proposing is valid but it’s also not the expectation.   More likely we trade Markstrom for whatever we can get and get back a proven back-up and a pick to even it out or trade him for whatever we can get and make a separate trade for an Elliot type.

I do think it’s a valid point, but also don’t think see the logic in going with Markstrom long term if Demko is posting similar stats, even if it’s against worst competition.  Highly doubtful we’d get a first for Markstrom unless a team is desperate... it could happen... but even then if we are in the playoffs don’t think FA would want to trade either of them even with the ED looming too.   You never do know this could happen, but the odds are stacked against it quite a bit.  Do think the draft is when we will see one them go...

I guess I just don't see Benning trading Markstrom if we're a playoff team. If anything I think he'd be looking to add to the team by the trade deadline. I also don't see him letting Markstrom walk for nothing in free agency. It all comes down to how both goalies perform this year. But I think as soon Marky gets that extension, Demko's days are numbered. 

• Cheers 1