The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Jesse Puljujarvi signs with Karpat (Finland)

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sure it does. Even if it doesn't, it does from my perspective :lol:

For context, this is what we did with Palmu. Edmonton did mismanage this kid from the start, they misread his actual ability level, stick him on lousy lines, and yo-yo'd him between the NHL and AHL. 

Just look at the lines he was on: https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/players/jesse-puljujarvi

When he was with McD he scored well. With RNH did OK. Otherwise train wreck. He needs quality line mates to be effective, not unlike many players (look at Loui e.g.) so I don't know what Edmonton was hoping for by putting him with Lucic and Strome. 

Pool was put in more checking roles, because the coaches were trying to teach him to play without the puck.  The guy is completely lost without the puck.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Pool was put in more checking roles, because the coaches were trying to teach him to play without the puck.  The guy is completely lost without the puck.  

then leave him in the AHL for an entire year with that job in mind. I don't think many guys can learn an NHL checking role on the fly. 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sure it does. Even if it doesn't, it does from my perspective :lol:

For context, this is what we did with Palmu. Edmonton did mismanage this kid from the start, they misread his actual ability level, stick him on lousy lines, and yo-yo'd him between the NHL and AHL. 

Just look at the lines he was on: https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/players/jesse-puljujarvi

When he was with McD he scored well. With RNH did OK. Otherwise train wreck. He needs quality line mates to be effective, not unlike many players (look at Loui e.g.) so I don't know what Edmonton was hoping for by putting him with Lucic and Strome. 

Probably were hoping to develop a defensive side to his game like we did with Virtanen. Only problem was it was with Lucic and Strome and not the likes of Sutter and Roussel/Eriksson who many cry about their pricetags and all, but are much better insulators to let Virtanen develop.

Wasn't there some rumour that he didn't really get along with a teammate or was that another player? If it was him, then it could also be why he didn't stick with the top players.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

then leave him in the AHL for an entire year with that job in mind. I don't think many guys can learn an NHL checking role on the fly. 

Typically EDM rush job.  

JP knew his career was going down the toilet and probably be over if he stayed there.

I visited Edmonton this summer for a few days.  Yuk.  Couldn't wait to get back home.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, theo5789 said:

Wouldn't he have to wait out his RFA years to be able to sign with another NHL team?

...you're probably right actually. I guess the alternative would be to rip it up in Finland until he can be offer-sheeted later on.

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

...you're probably right actually. I guess the alternative would be to rip it up in Finland until he can be offer-sheeted later on.

It's a gamble on Puljujarvi's part because unless he's the Finnish Gretzky there, he might not draw much NHL interest anymore. It could be a career decision that derails his dream to be an NHL player. If he didn't put in the effort with Edmonton and then force his way out with value, what makes you think he suddenly will be a workhorse in Finland?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I agree, but they were trying to trade him, so he needed to play on the big team to have any value.  No, they’re stuck.  He needs to play on small ice in the AHL to learn, but he needs waivers.  Unless Holland will take a Goldy type player (decent player with upside who also needs waivers) or a third round pick I see JP playing this season in Europe.  

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I hope someone else signs him and his career takes off.

If Holland plays this slow. Would a team trade for Pulvi in January - and if so... would he leave Finland part way through their season to return? Or do you think its more of a once the season starts he stays type deal?

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I agree, but they were trying to trade him, so he needed to play on the big team to have any value.  No, they’re stuck.  He needs to play on small ice in the AHL to learn, but he needs waivers.  Unless Holland will take a Goldy type player (decent player with upside who also needs waivers) or a third round pick I see JP playing this season in Europe.  

He doesn’t seem to be struggling with the ice. Seems like he is a bad fit in Edmonton. Benning seemed to think he was NHL ready at the draft. Edmonton is just good at ruining careers. 

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

He doesn’t seem to be struggling with the ice. Seems like he is a bad fit in Edmonton. Benning seemed to think he was NHL ready at the draft. Edmonton is just good at ruining careers. 

He looks great with the puck in offensive situations.  Without the puck, or having the puck in a more defensive spot, he’s terrible.  The game is happing too fast for him to process when he’s playing without the puck defensively.  He’s big, fast, skilled, and still only 21.  He needs to learn a lot still though.  Where does he learn that?  Is he really going to gain those defensive awareness skills on the bigger ice in Europe, where things happen slower than here?  

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He looks great with the puck in offensive situations.  Without the puck, or having the puck in a more defensive spot, he’s terrible.  The game is happing too fast for him to process when he’s playing without the puck defensively.  He’s big, fast, skilled, and still only 21.  He needs to learn a lot still though.  Where does he learn that?  Is he really going to gain those defensive awareness skills on the bigger ice in Europe, where things happen slower than here?  

Defense is positioning and willingness to play defense, if you need a ton of speed it means you made a mental error and are caught out of position and need that speed to correct it. Green taught Jake how to be better defensively, if Puljujarvi is willing to learn he could learn the defensive game anywhere. Pettersson had no problem defending smaller ice. Why? Cause he is smart positionally and has a willingness to actually play some defense. 

20 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

If Holland plays this slow. Would a team trade for Pulvi in January - and if so... would he leave Finland part way through their season to return? Or do you think its more of a once the season starts he stays type deal?

The NHL out clause ends on December 1st. He won't be able to come back in January. I think that's around the deadline that an RFA needs to be signed to be eligible for the season anyway.

• Upvote 1

Just now, theo5789 said:

The NHL out clause ends on December 1st. He won't be able to come back in January. I think that's around the deadline that an RFA needs to be signed to be eligible for the season anyway.

oh ya thats right. like how nylander had last year. :) makes sense

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Defense is positioning and willingness to play defense, if you need a ton of speed it means you made a mental error and are caught out of position and need that speed to correct it. Green taught Jake how to be better defensively, if Puljujarvi is willing to learn he could learn the defensive game anywhere. Pettersson had no problem defending smaller ice. Why? Cause he is smart positionally and has a willingness to actually play some defense. 

So you’re saying Puljujarvi is not willing to make the effort to lean those defensive skills?  Can he play defensively the right way, and still be an threat offensively?  

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

A team could still trade for his rights after December 1, but then his value would even be lower than right now wouldn’t it?