The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

If Fantenberg is out for awhile then I can see the Canucks keeping either Sautner or Brisebois.  My guess would be Sautner, but it could easily be Brisebois.

My guess is Graovac and Chatfield will be cut soon.  Schaller could also be on the next wave of cuts.  Other than that, I'm assuming there will be a trade as I have a hard time seeing the Canucks either trading or waiving Eriksson anymore.  At least not at this point of the season.  Goldobin hasn't shown much this pre-season so I can see them trying to move him for a pick or waiver exempt prospect.

Have a really hard time seeing the Canucks waive Virtanen.  A trade might be possible but it would of course be disappointing.  Not sure if there's a larger deal that management might be working on to try and make room for Gaudette.

Gaudette is closing in on a starting position, I see him beside Beagle on the fourth line, where the new rules on faceoffs make 2 centers so handy.  And gradually working his way up the depth chart including time on the 2nd pp unit.  I don't know what else he has to do to make this team. 

Leivo, Schaller, Eriksson, Goldobin: all look more suitable for trade/waiving.  No idea why Eriksson hasn't been sent to Utica already.  Maybe they hope he attracts enough attention to be picked up when they do waive him.

This team is developing a really nice set of lines (pairs are big now, we have 4 big pairs now: Horvat-Miller; Pettersson-Boeser; Sutter-Virtanen; Beagle-Gaudette.  Throw in the powerforwards like Ferland and Miller?  This team is really starting to look like something.  Real identity too.  The D will be another matter (so far, Hutton looks better than Myers, I hope his temporary.)

4 minutes ago, DownGoesMcdavid said:

I'm officially on the trade Jake Virtanen train.  

Even if it's for a  3rd or 4th round pick.  

Use the asset to add to a package that will get us an NHL player for the playoff push and hopefully the playoffs itself.  

JV just isnt a good hockey player.  He reminds  me of Euginie Bourchard w. Tennis.  All the tools in the world to be successful but neither are motivated.

Jv doesnt hit, he skates around real fast without a purpose and his ice-q is below average.

His game hasnt evolve.  He can clearly see that he doesnt have the skills to be a power forward, why not evolve and develop some sort of net front presence game.  Be a screen, be a big body in around the net , be something.   Instead , he plays a perimeter game like he is 5'8 170lbs.  

I'm done with this player.  Hoping I'm wrong. 

It's preseason, wait to judge when the real games start.  I'm sure a lot of guys are just trying to practice on a few things, while trying not to get hurt.  I personally will reserve judgement after the regular season starts.  

1 hour ago, Stelar said:

Remember the first young star tourney that Jake played in as a Canuck. Against Flames, Oilers and jets.  He was a wrecking machine. Scoring goals, hitting McDavid/Nurse, being a pest......

WTF happened to that guy...... I assume its gone away because he is now playing against men and not boys.

he got in a fight with Farmhand Farnham, broke his hand and has looked scared in the scrum ever since

If Jake was 25/26 yrs old i would agree with MAYBE moving him for something...

but he is not...

what he is... is a young player capable of  a 20+ goal season... a big body and durable 

I could imagine playing with EP/BB/BH should inspire a desire for more production... ALSO, I would have more of an appetite to keep the likes of an underachieving 23yr old Virtanen to "sober up" and soak up a PWR FWD "clinic" this season, put on by a healthy Ferland (i hope) 

hopefully come playoff time we have two "Ferlands" and a side of Roussel 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Virtanen will be a good playoff guy I think, but he's not one of the stars to be relied upon to get them there. We'll have to appreciate what he brings, the little things like his speed getting back, opponents keeping their heads on a swivel to avoid a big hit. Luckily, he's young and cheap.  

18 minutes ago, gameburn said:

Gaudette is closing in on a starting position, I see him beside Beagle on the fourth line, where the new rules on faceoffs make 2 centers so handy.  And gradually working his way up the depth chart including time on the 2nd pp unit.  I don't know what else he has to do to make this team. 

Leivo, Schaller, Eriksson, Goldobin: all look more suitable for trade/waiving.  No idea why Eriksson hasn't been sent to Utica already.  Maybe they hope he attracts enough attention to be picked up when they do waive him.

This team is developing a really nice set of lines (pairs are big now, we have 4 big pairs now: Horvat-Miller; Pettersson-Boeser; Sutter-Virtanen; Beagle-Gaudette.  Throw in the powerforwards like Ferland and Miller?  This team is really starting to look like something.  Real identity too.  The D will be another matter (so far, Hutton looks better than Myers, I hope his temporary.)

I don't disagree with you that Gaudette looks like he should probably start in the NHL this season.  Motte has also played well enough to justify making the team though I suppose he is also on the bubble.  The issue for management is that the nice depth we are seeing now in pre-season could quickly be gone if they start trading or losing players on waivers without having adequate replacements in Utica.  Cap questions aside, they will still need to clear roster space (not even cap space) for Roussel when he returns.

I have a hard time seeing the Canucks deal Leivo given his proven NHL-ability and versatility but I suspect he would have solid value in the trade market.  Having said that, I think dealing Leivo would be a step back for Canucks depth.  Sadly, trading Virtanen might not be seen as being as much of a step back which is why I suspect this discussion about Virtanen may have some merit.

I don't think management will be too upset if they lose Schaller on waivers so, to me, he's the easiest guy from last year's roster to get cut in the near future.  I am of the same mind about Eriksson but I also think his play and his overall situation likely make management want to keep him in the NHL.  That said, Eriksson is an "easy" guy to waive if you don't factor the salary issues from the Canucks standpoint (though I'm not sure how he is in the dressing room).  Doubt Eriksson would be picked up by another team.  Unfortunately for Goldobin, I think the Canucks might be willing to trade him for a pick or a prospect.  As such, I currently see Schaller and Goldobin as the most likely cuts.  If all waiver exempt players and players who are most likely AHL-bound this season are cut, then this would be enough for the opening night roster.

If management decides to keep Gaudette up, then I'm pretty sure that will force a move of one more player.  Maybe management is higher on guys like Graovac, Perron, Bailey, Boucher, Lind, Jasek and Gadjovich than it seems.  If they are, then maybe they can stomach the loss of depth if the return doesn't bring in someone who can provide at least similar NHL-level depth that they can store in the AHL.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

It's preseason, wait to judge when the real games start.  I'm sure a lot of guys are just trying to practice on a few things, while trying not to get hurt.  I personally will reserve judgement after the regular season starts.  

Yes its preseason but JV isnt a vet or a core player that considered a staple on this team.  

The coach has firmly given him expectations when season ended last year and it looks like he did not put in the work.  

He has has a terrible camp and preseason.   He isnt someone that should have gone into this preseason with a relaxed, easy breezy attitude.  He should be hungry , motivated and dominating.  Not even close. 

The problem is , I think the fanbase suffers from Cam Neeley PTSD.  

Were afraid to move on from JV because what if hes a layer bloomer.  

Unfortunately, guys like Neely and Bertuzzi and are the exceptions. 

Virtanen isnt a power forward. He doesnt drive the the net.  What we see is what we get from him. 

When Ferraro said JV at best will become a Janik Hansen, the fans base erupted.  

Now it would almost be a shock if he became anywhere near as useful as the Honey Badger

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I like that idea.

Maybe Benn can save Myers from being the train wreck that he was last night by being the defensive presence of the duo. Perhaps it was just an off night for Myers but he did not look very good out there.

That is what my buddy from Winnipeg said to get used to, when we spoke in July

I also found it interesting that Benn mentioned "things going sideways" in his post game interview. The exact same term used by Gudbranson, when assessing his game, (play creepy forboding music now)

Maybe Benn is waiting for the regular season, maybe its coaching, but I haven't seen him as a guy who looks like he will excel if asked to move up the line up when injuries hit.

Fantenberg and Boeser both flattened, no pushback from Benn or anyone else.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Virtanen will be a good playoff guy I think, but he's not one of the stars to be relied upon to get them there. We'll have to appreciate what he brings, the little things like his speed getting back, opponents keeping their heads on a swivel to avoid a big hit. Luckily, he's young and cheap.  

To avoid a big hit ? JV doesnt hit. 

How can you possibly expect people to believe that JV will be a playoff player when he can barely handle the intensity of pre season.  

We cant build this roster and team based on magic beans and wishful thinking that JV will all of a sudden become a player that he has never shown to be.  

Theres no actual evidence that supports he will be a good playoff player. 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Facts? Why bring those up, Jimmy?

yeah, darn. 

Hey if there's some sort of trade that improves the team, cool I'm fine with it if thats the outcome. But the idea to move him for mid-round picks? thats just a goofy waste. The chances of getting someone even as good as Jake is out of the 2nd round is low. We'd need to move him to a team that could give us a solid prospect or roster player. 

Players who should be cut already (0% chance of making the team without injuries):

Tyler Graovac

Guillaume Brisebois

Jalen Chatfield

Richard Bachman

Time to start getting down to business and building chemistry. We need to come out of the gate strong and our play still looks pretty sloppy. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah, darn. 

Hey if there's some sort of trade that improves the team, cool I'm fine with it if thats the outcome. But the idea to move him for mid-round picks? thats just a goofy waste. The chances of getting someone even as good as Jake is out of the 2nd round is low. We'd need to move him to a team that could give us a solid prospect or roster player. 

Totally. The approach of trading him for middling picks is borne out of misplaced anger.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, DownGoesMcdavid said:

Use the asset to add to a package that will get us an NHL player for the playoff push and hopefully the playoffs itself.  

JV just isnt a good hockey player.  He reminds  me of Euginie Bourchard w. Tennis.  All the tools in the world to be successful but neither are motivated.

Jv doesnt hit, he skates around real fast without a purpose and his ice-q is below average.

His game hasnt evolve.  He can clearly see that he doesnt have the skills to be a power forward, why not evolve and develop some sort of net front presence game.  Be a screen, be a big body in around the net , be something.   Instead , he plays a perimeter game like he is 5'8 170lbs.  

What do you expect with a Vancouver kid? He runs around and throws hits but when he crosses the line and is challenged to pay for it, he suddenly becomes afraid to make eye contact.

19 minutes ago, lmm said:

That is what my buddy from Winnipeg said to get used to, when we spoke in July

I also found it interesting that Benn mentioned "things going sideways" in his post game interview. The exact same term used by Gudbranson, when assessing his game, (play creepy forboding music now)

Maybe Benn is waiting for the regular season, maybe its coaching, but I haven't seen him as a guy who looks like he will excel if asked to move up the line up when injuries hit.

Fantenberg and Boeser both flattened, no pushback from Benn or anyone else.

I noticed the lack of response to Boeser too.  Shades of last year.  Fantenberg, too.  Disturbing. 

If it weren't for Hutton and arbitration money, lol, he looks better than Benn and possibly better over time than Myers.

In the summer, maybe JB panicked a bit on the D situation?  

1 hour ago, DownGoesMcdavid said:

Awwww why do you have to be like that to my boy? :(