The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, VforVirtanen said:

His contribution is currently proportionate to his salary level, and he has the promise of significantly more.

the onus is on him to make that promise materialise before he gets squeezed off the roster, which is starting to look like an inevitability. 

any player that wasn't from BC and drafted 6th overall would have been given up on a long time ago. the progress from when he was drafted to now is minimal. 

41 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

Funny considering what Green said.

"He (Virt) had about 20 really good games last year". He went on to say he expects more this year. That is what people call progress. 

Green called both Virtanen and Baertschi "average" this training camp/preseason. Shouldn't Jake be a little better than average at this point? It's been 4 years. How long does it take to make a Neely? ;) I jest, because Jake is nothing like him. Neely scored over 20 goals when he was 19 and had a 40+ goal season by the time he was Jake's age. I think with Jake, this is what they'll get. A possible bottom 6, 15-20 goal scoring winger. Maybe one day he becomes as good as Pearson. Maybe.

Edited by NUCKER67

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Green called both Virtanen and Baertschi "average" this training camp/preseason. Shouldn't Jake be a little better than average at this point? It's been 4 years. How long does it take to make a Neely? ;) I jest, because Jake is nothing like him. Neely scored over 20 goals when he was 19 and had a 40+ goal season by the time he was Jake's age. I think with Jake, this is what they'll get. A possible bottom 6, 15-20 goal scoring winger. Maybe one day he becomes as good as Pearson. Maybe.

When was that ?  

15 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

While I'm not over the moon over Virtanen's production and the progress he's made since being drafted by any means, it seems to me as though giving up on a 23 year old that was on near 20 goal pace last season for nothing isn't something a smart GM would do. 

markus granlund is 3 years older and had 19 goals in 69 games 3 years ago. 

Remember the first young star tourney that Jake played in as a Canuck. Against Flames, Oilers and jets.  He was a wrecking machine. Scoring goals, hitting McDavid/Nurse, being a pest......

WTF happened to that guy...... I assume its gone away because he is now playing against men and not boys.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, mll said:

When was that ?  

Not exactly sure of the interview date, late last week or over the weekend? Green was asked about Jake's progress, and Green went on to say he started in Group C, and found his way back, and that he's been average so far. Green is pretty tough to impress it seems.

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Not exactly sure of the interview date, late last week or over the weekend? Green was asked about Jake's progress, and Green went on to say he started in Group C, and found his way back, and that he's been average so far. Green is pretty tough to impress it seems.

Thanks.  Was wondering how many games had been played already when he made that comment.  Some players need to shake off the rust and as camp goes they improve.  

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Thanks.  Was wondering how many games had been played already when he made that comment.  Some players need to shake off the rust and as camp goes they improve.  

Well, I guess there's inmprovement? Jake started in Group C, and worked his way up to average lol

16 minutes ago, zombieksa said:

I'm curious how a Benn-Myers and Edler-Stecher pairings would look. 

I like that idea.

Maybe Benn can save Myers from being the train wreck that he was last night by being the defensive presence of the duo. Perhaps it was just an off night for Myers but he did not look very good out there.

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

Virtanen would be picked up in seconds. It's hilarious because players like Biega, Schaller, and Erikkson would all go through. People actually thought Saunter and Boucher would get picked up.

Virtanen is underrated: scored more goals than Beagle, Eriksson (and Motte/Leivo?) combined, finished high in hits (Motte led I think) and occasionally has moments of brilliance.  Like Bertuzzi, but without the famous line-mates.  Like Bertuzzi he cannot be a power forward every night.  Like we will discover is the case for Ferland and Miller for that matter.  (These are the guys he can really learn from.)  He needs the right line-mates, he needs lots of time on ice and a chance to dominate enough to feel it. I think he is a very slow learner about some aspects of the game (low hockey I.Q.)  Nevertheless, while he is improving he is still more useful than a third of the guys on this team.  He would not pass through waivers and would not have passed through waivers for years now.  Yes, like Eriksson he looks like a flop, but unlike Eriksson, he is getting better while putting up better and better numbers every year.  He takes less penalties than he used to, is not a defensive liability really anymore, and he seems like he is liked by his mates.  He also has leadership potential.  He will be capable of standing up for his linemates, in fact he has done this before.  He would be a bargain at Sutter's money. 

He is underpaid, and generally under-appreciated. 

He needs Tom Cruise to be his agent lol.  And he needs to get to that next level to get that next level of money.  But he is getting closer.

Edited by gameburn
  • Cheers 1

If Fantenberg is out for awhile then I can see the Canucks keeping either Sautner or Brisebois.  My guess would be Sautner, but it could easily be Brisebois.

My guess is Graovac and Chatfield will be cut soon.  Schaller could also be on the next wave of cuts.  Other than that, I'm assuming there will be a trade as I have a hard time seeing the Canucks either trading or waiving Eriksson anymore.  At least not at this point of the season.  Goldobin hasn't shown much this pre-season so I can see them trying to move him for a pick or waiver exempt prospect.

Have a really hard time seeing the Canucks waive Virtanen.  A trade might be possible but it would of course be disappointing.  Not sure if there's a larger deal that management might be working on to try and make room for Gaudette.