The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Eriksson playin it cool lol

Rate this topic

BrockBoester

Loui E  

216 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 9/12/2019 at 6:50 AM, IBatch said:

This isn’t accurate at all.  He’s moulded himself to the system and played primarily a defense first game for TG because that’s what been asked of him.  

He’s a peg that no longer fits on the first line, but definitely can help the second or third or fourth if need be.  Lots has been said about the chemistry Pearson had with Horvat but rarely does anyone mention LE was on it too (although some people have brought it up).  Aside from a brief stint with EP and at then end of the year with Horvat, he spent the rest of his time fighting off very good or even the best competition in our own zone or killing penalties.  Put Ferland or Pearson on the third or fourth line in the same circumstances  and they won’t be scoring 20 goals either.  Heck Ferland  spent most of his time with Aho and the top six in CAL the last few years and a lot of posters have penciled him in for 20 goals again this year (of course that’s not the only reason he’s here - modern day Semenko big brother) - I’d bet LE would get at least that if he was played on the first line and given even second PP opportunities. 

Hes a smart player that uses his stick and positioning to get back possession, is a good passer and his skating isn’t terrible either, has excellent stickwork and a decent shot.  And avoids hitting like the plague - but again he’s smart enough to be effective without that element, and as a result has also played most of the games since he got here too.

Anyone who cares to compare apples to apples, Leivo was given way more chances to put up points.  Goldobin way way more chances (glad we still have him, one more crack at it hopefully those crossbar shots make it in this year). 

Until the time he’s traded or retired as long as he wears the sweater he’s one of us, his comments are honest and for the most part accurate.  Both sides have publicly stated there is no problem too.  Really it’s kind of endearing he made them in the first place or at least a little cathartic - we’ve all witnessed him skating with Beagle and Sutter and yet he’s supposed to somehow score 40/50 points doing that?  Hilarious the expectations and the hate really.  He’s our anchor (most teams have at least one), the cap hit won’t go away and he’s still useful - which is key.  Worst case he goes to Utica - and becomes a depth call-up when Sutter or Beagle or whomever goes down (Bear?).   Best case he comes in with a chip on his shoulder and plays his heart out to keep a kid/younger vet from stealing his spot and has a bounce back season - raises his stock an eventually can be traded (with retention etc.) 

The bright side about his cap hit is its forcing Benning to be smarter on his deals and signings.  Same with the Luongo thing although that actually hurts more because there is zero exchange (we can’t trade it ha ha).   

Of I don’t like his cap hit, and he’s doesn’t play the style I like either (prefer physicality in players games).   But he’s still one of us.    He’s not the first player we’ve signed and hasn’t lived up to expectations either.  And definitely won’t be the last.

good post but  why do you make it sound like he only had one bad season when it has been 3 bad seasons  , he has played first line minutes ,2nd line minutes he has powerplay time before , he has chance after chance to prove himself  , 3 years of chances and excuses  all I can say loui better be ready to battle because the lil things aren't gonna cut it anymore  

Edited by the grinder
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

The Swedish media comments thing got way overblown. I wouldn't fault Loui for being honest or admitting how he legitimately felt about the situation. Even if it was to spark a change in his situation. 

Watching the interview, though, I don't think there was anything nefarious or derogatory going on. It looks as though he really didn't think his comments would get as much traction over here in the media.

The way I see it all, Loui hasn't worked out for a variety of reasons. He's been given a lot of opportunities to prove himself but it's always been from a place of catch-up, state of off-balance, or state of trying to find his groove. Imo, never from a place of his groove or state of confidence or feeling like he's on his game. 

It's just what I see. I can understand his frustration from that place. He even revealed that when he's confident, he plays better. And I can see how his time here has led to a lack of confidence. I don't believe we've seen a confident Loui Eriksson the entire time he's been here.

I've said this before but I believe it started right from the get-go of his signing in how JB and WD wanted to use him and the style of play we were playing at the time. I believe we misread his production to be more versatile than it really was.

If we're signing a guy at crazy money and term to produce on a level of 25-30 goals each year, maybe, just maybe it wasn't a good idea - before he even stepped on ice for the team - to assume he'd be good to go up and down the lineup and equal his previous production.

Imo, there should have been more thought into how he produces, our style of play, where he produces from, how best to utilze him, and how best to get the results we're paying for long term. 

That first season, as he was trying to find his footing, he gets injured as well. The second season, there's even more pressure to bounce back, find his place, and produce while still going up and down the lineup. Then another injury.

And then there's a coaching change yet there's more of a stigma because he hasn't produced ... 

I just don't think the guy has ever felt confident here or has ever really found his footing. If anything, I think that frustration was reflected in comments to the Swedish media.

I'm not making excuses for the guy, I can just see how all of that could lead to frustration, a lack of confidence, and constantly being off balance. It's one of those feelings where you're always behind, trying to catch up, trying find your groove, never getting ahead, all while the situation and expectations get heavier and heavier.

With the offseason signings and a more balanced lineup, this is s really good opportunity for Loui and Green to start fresh. It's a good opportunity to leverage Loui's strengths and use him more specifically. If I was Travis Green, I'd be sitting down with Loui and really exploring what Eriksson needs to be confident and at his best. If he's going to be in the lineup, I'd focus on what hasn't happen to date with Loui that needs to happen now so he feels confident and he can be a better player. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, playboi19 said:

He always looks disinterested in warmups and during games. Buy him out and he'll sign a 1yr-1m deal with the Rangers and put up career numbers. What a waste of FA's money this turned out to be.

Buyout saves no cap hit this year, and hardly anything more the next two seasons. He is buy out proof, also buyout period is over anyway. 

Edited by canuck73_3

2 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

The way I see it all, Loui hasn't worked out for a variety of reasons. He's been given a lot of opportunities to prove himself but it's always been from a place of catch-up, state of off-balance, or state of trying to find his groove. Imo, never from a place of his groove or state of confidence or feeling like he's on his game. 

It's just what I see. I can understand his frustration from that place. He even revealed that when he's confident, he plays better. And I can see how his time here has led to a lack of confidence. I don't believe we've seen a confident Loui Eriksson the entire time he's been here.

I do hope he bounces back. An actual 20 goal output, or something close, would be fantastc.  And I'm willing to give him yet another chance to prove himself .  But its a short leash. I don't know how it can't be at this point.

You are right, i think its a loss of confidence.  It seemed to start right off the bat after he scored that own-goal. And I think he felt the pressure of that 6 x 6 contract he had to live up to.  But come on, Louie, its been three full seasons since that cursed goal. Like you said "He's been given a lot of opportunities to prove himself".  Thinking he is always in a "catch up" phase is on him. Other players have bad years but find it in themselves to bounce back. If he needs a shrink, fine. What I, and probably others, have been waiting to see is more passion. If he wants to regain his confidence on the ice DO SOMETHING.  I'd rather see him do things outside his element, even make mistakes because of it, get caught out of position...hit more even if its not your "forte",  crash the net, have an opponent get mad at you for something.  ie...look like you want to be here.

There's still too much to lose giving up on him right now, or more accurately....not enough to gain. It doesn't make much sense cap wise. Especially if he can be a premier defensive player for us, who can pot a goal once in awhile.  I would revisit that in a couple of months into the season. But even if just as depth we can call up from Utica if it comes down to that. Heck, maybe playing in Utics would be the best thing for his confidence.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

The Swedish media comments thing got way overblown. I wouldn't fault Loui for being honest or admitting how he legitimately felt about the situation. Even if it was to spark a change in his situation. 

Watching the interview, though, I don't think there was anything nefarious or derogatory going on. It looks as though he really didn't think his comments would get as much traction over here in the media.

I've said this before but I believe it started right from the get-go of his signing in how JB and WD wanted to use him and the style of play we were playing at the time. I believe we misread his production to be more versatile than it really was.

If we're signing a guy at crazy money and term to produce on a level of 25-30 goals each year, maybe, just maybe it wasn't a good idea - before he even stepped on ice for the team - to assume he'd be good to go up and down the lineup and equal his previous production.

Imo, there should have been more thought into how he produces, our style of play, where he produces from, how best to utilze him, and how best to get the results we're paying for long term. 

That first season, as he was trying to find his footing, he gets injured as well. The second season, there's even more pressure to bounce back, find his place, and produce while still going up and down the lineup. Then another injury.

And then there's a coaching change yet there's more of a stigma because he hasn't produced ... 

I just don't think the guy has ever felt confident here or has ever really found his footing. If anything, I think that frustration was reflected in comments to the Swedish media.

I'm not making excuses for the guy, I can just see how all of that could lead to frustration, a lack of confidence, and constantly being off balance. It's one of those feelings where you're always behind, trying to catch up, trying find your groove, never getting ahead, all while the situation and expectations get heavier and heavier.

With the offseason signings and a more balanced lineup, this is s really good opportunity for Loui and Green to start fresh. It's a good opportunity to leverage Loui's strengths and use him more specifically. If I was Travis Green, I'd be sitting down with Loui and really exploring what Eriksson needs to be confident and at his best. If he's going to be in the lineup, I'd focus on what hasn't happen to date with Loui that needs to happen now so he feels confident and he can be a better player. 

it has been 3 years  for loui to find his confidence    im sure travis green has sat down with him already ,   sent him a message by sitting him out a game  , you know how to get out of funk playing hockey ? ', keep it simple and work harder '  the ol' hockey cliché , loui simply needs to work harder ,and that is on loui and no one else 

Loui is not a crappy player. Is he the offensive dynamo he was before, nope. We as fans need to adjust our expectations a bit. He’s been out in a defensive role and actually done well as more of a defensive player. 

Hes not worth $6M but that’s not his fault. GMJB took a calculated risk on who was a great offensive player. Didn’t hit the mark, but I’d say if Loui was being paid $3M, everyone here would be singing his praises. 29points for a defensive forward ain’t bad. 

• Cheers 1

On 9/11/2019 at 5:07 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

he is doing his job. Its just not a 6 million dollar job anymore. 

He's actually done a good job of reinventing his game to the bottom 6 other than being physical, but he's 179 lbs and played his entire career in the top 6 before here, you're not going to get a lot of physicality out of that. 

and immediately after the above...

On 9/11/2019 at 5:09 PM, oldnews said:

this one's a horse that's been beaten.    I don't think it has any shelf- life left at this point wadr.  revisit it after camp.

Both of these comments are ones I have made or felt many times.  We are conflicted as a group here.  The proof will be in LE's play this next few weeks. 

I will say this: he was benched last year and he is a summer/year older, which can really make a difference for a guy in his mid-30s, so... 

And there are a lot of new players in camp who have something to offer who directly compete for top 9 roles as well as bottom 3 or 4. 

Perron may very well make the team.   The guy's attitude and preparation looks very good. 

And then there's Leivo…. and Motte.... and what if Lind has figured out what's at stake?  And there is a PTO.  And Roussel has to have a spot to return to... Gaudette, Motte or MacEwen look like better guys to hold his place. 

Pettersson's comments on the value of Ferland (strong on the puck, physical in retrieving pucks) are suggestive about the kind of wingers the core players value.  (These opinions matter -- remember when the Sedins saw some puck moving ability in Hutton and then Stecher?)  I don't think Benning picks up Ferland, Pearson and Miller (as well as Perron and Bailey) because he is happy with the wingers he has. 

I don't see the point in keeping him up with the Canucks -- other players need the opportunity.  Shaping up to be very similar to the Gagner situation.  In the last interview I saw with Benning he seemed kind of distant when asked about Loui, lol.  I'm not sure if he even used his first name when referring to him.

2 hours ago, kilgore said:

I do hope he bounces back. An actual 20 goal output, or something close, would be fantastc.  And I'm willing to give him yet another chance to prove himself .  But its a short leash. I don't know how it can't be at this point.

You are right, i think its a loss of confidence.  It seemed to start right off the bat after he scored that own-goal. And I think he felt the pressure of that 6 x 6 contract he had to live up to.  But come on, Louie, its been three full seasons since that cursed goal. Like you said "He's been given a lot of opportunities to prove himself".  Thinking he is always in a "catch up" phase is on him. Other players have bad years but find it in themselves to bounce back. If he needs a shrink, fine. What I, and probably others, have been waiting to see is more passion. If he wants to regain his confidence on the ice DO SOMETHING.  I'd rather see him do things outside his element, even make mistakes because of it, get caught out of position...hit more even if its not your "forte",  crash the net, have an opponent get mad at you for something.  ie...look like you want to be here.

There's still too much to lose giving up on him right now, or more accurately....not enough to gain. It doesn't make much sense cap wise. Especially if he can be a premier defensive player for us, who can pot a goal once in awhile.  I would revisit that in a couple of months into the season. But even if just as depth we can call up from Utica if it comes down to that. Heck, maybe playing in Utics would be the best thing for his confidence.

Thanks for seeing my point. Hey, I'm with you. Totally get it and agree. I just think in situations like his, passion can get eroded and chipped away on a level that wears you down.

I do find it interesting how the pressure of a contract like that can increasingly work against a player if he doesn't find his footing right away. 

I want to see him do well this season.

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, Oregon.Duck said:

Loui is not a crappy player. Is he the offensive dynamo he was before, nope. We as fans need to adjust our expectations a bit. He’s been out in a defensive role and actually done well as more of a defensive player. 

Hes not worth $6M but that’s not his fault. GMJB took a calculated risk on who was a great offensive player. Didn’t hit the mark, but I’d say if Loui was being paid $3M, everyone here would be singing his praises. 29points for a defensive forward ain’t bad. 

Nice perspective! 

26 minutes ago, gameburn said:

I don't see the point in keeping him up with the Canucks -- other players need the opportunity.  Shaping up to be very similar to the Gagner situation.  In the last interview I saw with Benning he seemed kind of distant when asked about Loui, lol.  I'm not sure if he even used his first name when referring to him.

it is similar, more money but Loui's a better player than Gag's. If Loui had been a better buyout he'd be gone but he's not. 

I guess we'll have to see if there's any player movement once Brock signs - maybe that opens up some movement of guys like Baer or even Jake. If that happens he may yet be a useful guy on the roster, guys that can move up and down the lineup, play defensive roles one night maybe offensive the next for injury fill in, can be valuable pieces. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

If Loui had been a better buyout he'd be gone but he's not. 

The way things have gone with Loui, this should have been the season to part ways for the best interests of both sides. It's kind of a cautionary tale of long term, buyout proof contracts. Each side should have an out. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

The way things have gone with Loui, this should have been the season to part ways for the best interests of both sides. It's kind of a cautionary tale of long term, buyout proof contracts. Each side should have an out. 

yeah thats a good point, I'm sure Loui would like to move on.... but getting paid 27 mil in 3 years probably softens the blow a bit. 

For me its cautionary as well in that everyone went in with good intentions. I don't buy into the "Loui's a floater' thing, but his offensive skills aren't there anymore either. 

The league has changed so much in just a short time that Loui's deal doesn't get done anymore just based on his signing age. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Cut your losses and send him down. Give his ice time to someone with fire in their belly. Heck let Bailey crash and bang 8-10 goals. 

For me, every point counts. Loui is the best PK forward we use and that means less goals and more points. 

Why change that to a player that leads to less points just because it's a "fire in the belly" player? 

• Haha 1

Loui needs to walk the walk...talking gets him nowhere.

I'm not a hater but do want him to really prove himself.  He does do the little things but it's time to do some big things that match the six million dollar man contract.  

Go time.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

For me, every point counts. Loui is the best PK forward we use and that means less goals and more points. 

Why change that to a player that leads to less points just because it's a "fire in the belly" player? 

We all know you do his laundry, so you can just have a seat there.

• Haha 2