The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Drouin on trading block? [Speculation]

Toews

53 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

We just don't need a soft little dude winger though imo. We have some.

But he would be the best of the bunch of his type of winger. It would make the others expendable. He's 6'0 almost 200 lbs, not sure he would be classified as small.

IMO, he's a better version of Baertschi (or what we want Baertschi to be). Baertschi isn't known for his physical play, but he isn't considered soft either. They both had around the same number of hits per game (and more than guys like Goldobin and even Leivo and just a shade below Horvat). He's not great defensively, but neither was Baertschi when we acquired him and that has improved since he has arrived. The biggest difference is that Drouin has actually produced the offensive numbers. Baertschi is a borderline top 6 player, but Drouin certainly is. It's an upgrade to the roster and you trim the fat.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

50+ point winger? He's an upgrade on the Goldobins and Baertschis. He would simply make them redundant. Of course it'll depend on the cost to acquire, but not being able to find a trade that works is completely different than the "hard pass" stance.

No, hard pass because Montreal would value him more than I do. So yes, hard pass. 

And that is without getting to his evident attitude issues which has now worn its welcome with 2 franchises already...

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

Right now our top-6 is:

Ferland-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson/Baertchi-Horvat-Miller

If you replace the 2nd line LW with Drouin, I feel this improves the overall quality and skill of the team's top 6. Not saying we should trade for him, but I think we are not in a position that would be make him redundant on our roster. I also think when Drouin initially got drafted (and when Montreal made the trade for him in 2016), he was seen as a potential 1st line center who you can build a team around. This ship has sailed, and we know he isn't that #1 guy. However, I think if he comes to a place like Vancouver, where we already have some really good/elite players in the top 6 in Petterson, Boeser, Horvat, Miller and Ferland etc. Drouin can come in and just be one of the guys and he doesn't have to be counted on for everything and it could actually benefit him playing in more of a secondary role.

He is redundant because he is soft and brings nothing different that what we already have/potentially have. 

And he would cost more than he is worth to us to acquire so yes, redundant. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

No, hard pass because Montreal would value him more than I do. So yes, hard pass. 

And that is without getting to his evident attitude issues which has now worn its welcome with 2 franchises already...

I haven't seen any evident attitude issue since being in Montreal. And right now this is all speculation. He might not even be on the trade block as Bergevin suggests. We will see if he's right that it's just false rumours.

We also have no idea on the valuation. I made a proposal and obviously if Montreal says no then that's fine, but that's where I would value him and I would be absolutely fine with him if that's all it took. We can agree to disagree.

20 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

So would Poolparty 

Clearly a guy who’s never player competitive hockey.

Puljujarvi doesn’t have the hockey sense to score 30. Typical case of a guy with all the talent in the world but no brains to harness them.

• Wat 1

8 hours ago, Topcheeze86 said:

Put that guy on peteys wing he scores 30

That's a weak (armchair) option though.

Put Drouin on EP's wing and you have a pair of wingers - Drouin and Boeser - who just don't bring the elements EP needs.

There's a reason the team went out and got Miller, signed Ferland, and acquired Pearson beforehand.  They needed some weight, forecheck, hard areas elements on the wing - particularly for EP's line - and guys that can add some D zone support, physicality, etc.

Drouin might make a decent winger for Horvat - but again - Horvat's line gets drawn into dual-duty whenever a Sutter and/or Beagle goes down - in which case Drouin arguably becomes a misfit there as well - part of the reason the team did not stop at a single heavier, two-way winger, but added multiples. 

Lots of guys could score 30 goals on EP's wing, but how many of them can do so while being a puck-hound, going to and parking in front of the net, providing a much needed forecheck, etc.  Does that sound like Drouin?

On 9/26/2019 at 2:27 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

Hasn't it been established that Drouin is difficult to deal with? Based on comments made by Hughes recently, I prefer to hold onto Tanev.

and profoundly over-rated.

let alone the question of whether this team - loaded with wingers - needs another one - that lacks size, grit, and a two way game to boot.

But let's extract a top 4 D out of the mix and go with Biega/Chatfield in the 3 and 4 RHD spots....:wacko:

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

and profoundly over-rated.

let alone the question of whether this team - loaded with wingers - needs another one - that lacks size, grit, and a two way game to boot.

But let's extract a top 4 D out of the mix and go with Biega/Chatfield in the 3 and 4 RHD spots....:wacko:

Drouin is very overrated, for sure. Certainly, he has the talent to be a difference maker, but his time with Tampa showed him to be a me first type of player. This culminated in him being traded to Montreal. And now the Canadiens want to trade him. 

If that doesn’t scream stay away, I don’t know what does. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I haven't seen any evident attitude issue since being in Montreal. And right now this is all speculation. He might not even be on the trade block as Bergevin suggests. We will see if he's right that it's just false rumours.

Hipster Guns has already proven disreputable.  Montreal needs scoring so moving a skilled young player, let alone one they just recently acquired, makes little sense unless there are other issues.  Fire underlying the smoke seems likely.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Hipster Guns has already proven disreputable.  Montreal needs scoring so moving a skilled young player, let alone one they just recently acquired, makes little sense unless there are other issues.  Fire underlying the smoke seems likely.

Exactly. What’s the over on Hamilton being traded from Carolina this season? 

• Cheers 2

On 9/26/2019 at 6:04 PM, EternalCanuckFan said:

There was a rumor about interest from Montreal in Laine earlier this summer.  I don't recall how substantial that rumor was but I would think a deal involving Laine would involve a player of at least Drouin's calibre being involved in the return to Winnipeg.

Connor is still available as of now.  I doubt that Drouin would be enough, it would take Montreals 1st as well.