The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Drouin on trading block? [Speculation]

Toews

BERGEVIN AND JONATHAN DROUIN RESPOND TO SPORTSNET REPORT

After Wednesday night’s game, we reported that an Eastern Conference executive confirmed that Drouin’s name “is definitely out there.”

When Bergevin was asked about that on Thursday, he quipped: “I don’t know where (those reports) come from. Most of those reports are from somebody in his basement in Toronto, so I don’t pay attention to that to be honest with you.”

When Drouin was asked about it, he said it wasn’t his place to comment.

“I don’t have a take on it,” he added. “I’ll let you guys tweet about it and talk about it. That’s your job, it’s not mine.”

What Drouin did say is that he believes he’s getting his timing back and that his game is going in the right direction.

The 24-year-old closed out last season with just one goal in his last 26 games and has only recorded one assist while dressing in four of the six pre-season games the Canadiens have played.

When asked to evaluate Drouin’s camp, Bergevin said, “I expect more, the coaches expect more, and I think Jo does too.”

“He’s a skilled player, he has talent, he has a lot of attributes, and I know last year he had a tough finish,” Bergevin added. “He had a good summer. Training camp is training camp. I mean he’s not the only one who’s not up to par right now.”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canadiens-notebook-bergevin-drouin-respond-trade-talks-report/

Bergevin denies it but this is the same guy that denied that Subban was on the block, filed for tampering charges against JB, then traded him a few days later. I say he is a weasel whose word cannot be trusted. Drouin should probably start packing his $&!#.

Edited by Toews
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

Just now, EternalCanuckFan said:

There was a rumor about interest from Montreal in Laine earlier this summer.  I don't recall how substantial that rumor was but I would think a deal involving Laine would involve a player of at least Drouin's calibre being involved in the return to Winnipeg.

Can the Habs afford paying Laine 10 million though.  Drouin is way less i think.

Just now, Alflives said:

Can the Habs afford paying Laine 10 million though.  Drouin is way less i think.

Drouin is at $5.5M and the Habs have just over $4M in cap space so no, $10M for Laine probably wouldn't be doable.  Not saying it's the most likely possibility but just intriguing.  I recall also seeing Philip Danault's name in the rumor mill and he has a salary of about $3M.

Drouin for Ristolainen could work though, so that's an interesting possibility.  While BUF and MTL are division rivals, I seem to recall them making trades before.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Drouin is at $5.5M and the Habs have just over $4M in cap space so no, $10M for Laine probably wouldn't be doable.  Not saying it's the most likely possibility but just intriguing.  I recall also seeing Philip Danault's name in the rumor mill and he has a salary of about $3M.

Drouin for Ristolainen could work though, so that's an interesting possibility.  While BUF and MTL are division rivals, I seem to recall them making trades before.

Nathan Beaulieu comes to mind.

1 minute ago, Rick Blight said:

They won't take Eriksson but I would probably do Goldobin, Tanev and a 3rd to get a talent like Drouin. Montreal would probably want more but I would put that offer out there to start the discussion.

Personally I'm not giving up Tanev for Drouin.  I know Drouin is talented, but i'm not a fan of his game.  Plus, he would be earning like Bo money on our team.   

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

If they trade him, they are in a Buy High, Sell Low situation. I think Tampa got the better part of that trade by far.

I would give them something like Baertschi (like him, but his concussion history makes me nervous), Goldobin and a 3rd rounder, and that might be overpaying right now if he's not committed to performing at NHL level. Think the kid has lots of talent, but I don't think he has the drive needed.

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Drouin has an ugly contract too, doesn't he?  Would the Sabres trade Risto for Drouin?  

According to capfriendly...

His contract is AAV 5.5M that runs until 2022-2023.  Has a Modified NTC in the last 2 years of contract.  Averages 50pts (15-20 goals) per season.

4 minutes ago, BPA said:

According to capfriendly...

His contract is AAV 5.5M that runs until 2022-2023.  Has a Modified NTC in the last 2 years of contract.  Averages 50pts (15-20 goals) per season.

And Drouin is horrible without the puck.  A 50 point winger, who is horrible without the puck, (and on his contract) is not a great trade chip.  Maybe the Sabres aren't interested?