The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Drouin on trading block? [Speculation]

Toews

6 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Drouin, Alzner for LE, Sutter, Leivo/Sautner, 3rd

Karl's literal dead weight.  At least Brandon and Loui are serviceable... we also basically get no cap relief ($4.625 x 3 years + $5.5 x 4 years - $6 x 3 years - $4.375 x 2 years -$1.5 = $1.75 net cap savings in the first year, less in years 2 and 3, but Karl's salary is immovable, when we will probably need the space) 

1 hour ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

There was a rumor about interest from Montreal in Laine earlier this summer.  I don't recall how substantial that rumor was but I would think a deal involving Laine would involve a player of at least Drouin's calibre being involved in the return to Winnipeg.

Laine+ for Drouin and Petry?  First thing Jets need would probably be right side D-men and Petry was almost a 50-point guy this past year.  Of course the Habs would need Jeff since they're thin after Weber but wonder if the draw for Laine might be too great to resist.

8 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Laine+ for Drouin and Petry?  First thing Jets need would probably be right side D-men and Petry was almost a 50-point guy this past year.  Of course the Habs would need Jeff since they're thin after Weber but wonder if the draw for Laine might be too great to resist.

This was a proposal made for a Laine trade.

https://awinninghabit.com/2019/09/25/montreal-canadiens-jonathan-drouin-trade/4/

canadiens.png&c=sc&w=75&h=75
CANADIENS GET
PATRIK LAINE

jets.png&c=sc&w=75&h=75
JETS GET
JONATHAN DROUIN
CALE FLEURY
2020 1ST ROUND DRAFT PICK
  • Cheers 1

Drouin failed in 2 different places, Benning and company prioritize character, and LW we are pretty set. Unless we plan on moving a roster d-man and a roster LWer (IE Tanev and Baer). Which would be dumb for a LWer that at best is a slight improvement on Baer offensively but is much worse defensively and has much less character. 

And I doubt Montreal wants a one dimensional D-man in Tanev for Drouin. Maybe they consider a Virtanen and a roster D-man for Drouin, but that still leaves us with a crap ton LWers/Left handed players. As of right now the only right handed forwards slated for the main roster is Beagle, Sutter, Boeser and Virtanen. If we didn't sign Ferland and trade for Miller. I'd be more intrigued. Unless they take a Chatfield/Brisebois + Baer package (maybe Schaller for cap reasons) for Drouin I'd say no. And that package isn't gonna tickle Montreal's fancy. Doubt Benning is in a rush to move out another pick too with our first in one of the next two seasons expected to be given to Tampa.

Drouin to Buffalo for Risto. Two problem childs swapped. 

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

This was a proposal made for a Laine trade.

https://awinninghabit.com/2019/09/25/montreal-canadiens-jonathan-drouin-trade/4/

canadiens.png&c=sc&w=75&h=75
CANADIENS GET
PATRIK LAINE

jets.png&c=sc&w=75&h=75
JETS GET
JONATHAN DROUIN
CALE FLEURY
2020 1ST ROUND DRAFT PICK

Hmm, quite possible?  Fleury looks like an offensive prospect but Pionk had better not get hurt otherwise their D-group will look really suss.  
If I'm Winnipeg I'd probably ask for Juulsen, since (watching a Habs fan's analysis of Cale) he's noted to be error-prone in his own end and in making exit passes.  At least Noah would probably be more reliable in his own end?

• Cheers 1

Good god guys.

Haven't you read the memo? Benning wants CHARACTER GUYS.

If true, Drouin will be working on his third team before the age of 25.

The guy is somewhat of a headache, and he doesn't kill the PK. With the way Eriksson has progressed, I'd keep Eriksson, seriously.

You don't want Drouin.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Whole bunch of people sh!t talking this kid, but if he was a Canucks prospect, we’d be stoked on a young consistent 50 point player.  

How many 50 point wingers do we have?   Enough to fill a top 6?

Boeser, Miller, Baertschi,Pearson, Goldy?,Ferland...Virtanen.... Leivo... 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Boeser, Miller, Baertschi,Pearson, Goldy?,Ferland...Virtanen.... Leivo... 

Boeser and Miller are the only ones that fit the 50 point criteria. Offensively Drouin is easily above the rest. The others may provide different elements, but they are not 50 point guys unfortunately.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Boeser and Miller are the only ones that fit the 50 point criteria. Offensively Drouin is easily above the rest. The others may provide different elements, but they are not 50 point guys unfortunately.

Baer pace last year over 26 gp was 14p.

42-45 over 82gp.

Pearson 19 gp 12p with vancouver, 48p pace over 76gp.

Jt miller 47P over 76gp as 3rd liner.

Ferland had 41points over 71gp and he was injured early last year and still put up 40 points. 

Add in petey, brock, horvat, virtanen and Gaudette and i see career years for many canucks forwards.

Ferland petey brock

Miller horvat Baer

Pearson Gaudette Virtanen

No slight against roussel( was on pace for 40points) motte, goldy,Sutter and beagle or leivo

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Karl's literal dead weight.  At least Brandon and Loui are serviceable... we also basically get no cap relief ($4.625 x 3 years + $5.5 x 4 years - $6 x 3 years - $4.375 x 2 years -$1.5 = $1.75 net cap savings in the first year, less in years 2 and 3, but Karl's salary is immovable, when we will probably need the space) 

Karl would be sent down and he's got the lower cap hit than LE to start with. Drouin is the most valuable player in this supposed deal thus why we would have to take on the least valued player to balance it out.

Drouin is more expensive than Sutter, but we would be getting much better value from his 5.5 million cap hit. And with serviceable and cheaper replacements of the dealt players and filling up another top 6 spot, it allows guys like Baertschi and/or Pearson to be moved on for more cap savings.

6 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Baer pace last year over 26 gp was 14p.

42-45 over 82gp.

Pearson 19 gp 12p with vancouver, 48p pace over 76gp.

Jt miller 47P over 76gp as 3rd liner.

Ferland had 41points over 71gp and he was injured early last year and still put up 40 points. 

Add in petey, brock, horvat, virtanen and Gaudette and i see career years for many canucks forwards.

Ferland petey brock

Miller horvat Baer

Pearson Gaudette Virtanen

No slight against roussel( was on pace for 40points) motte, goldy,Sutter and beagle or leivo

@drummerboy asked how many 50 point wingers do we have (which Drouin is). 

As I had said, only Miller and Boeser fit that criteria. You've just shown that the rest aren't. Those Baertschi and Pearson numbers are a very small sample size. Leipsic had 9 points in 14 games after being traded here which is a 52 point pace and soon became waiver fodder the following season. Baertschi needs to stay healthy and Pearson didn't have a great year, but got thrown into big minutes which he may not get the same luxury of all season this year.

I'm not knocking these guys and I'm fine with them in whatever roles for us, but they are not 50 point wingers (but do provide other aspects to their games that add value).

4 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Good god guys.

Haven't you read the memo? Benning wants CHARACTER GUYS.

If true, Drouin will be working on his third team before the age of 25.

The guy is somewhat of a headache, and he doesn't kill the PK. With the way Eriksson has progressed, I'd keep Eriksson, seriously.

You don't want Drouin.

We are paying LE 6 million to produce offense. Drouin does. We have plenty of decent bottom 6 guys that can take over the PK. If it's either Drouin or LE, it's a no brainer (and Drouin is much younger too).

The three teams thing doesn't bother me, but he could be a headcase with his situation in TB had shown. I'm actually one of the people that have said early on that LE's comments this offseason is mild in nature, but he could also be as much of a distraction to the team anyway, so it could be worth the gamble. Worst case is you pump his numbers up and flip him for even higher value (assuming he doesn't cost an arm and a leg to acquire in the first place) because he's still a 50+ point guy despite supposedly struggling and he's still young.