The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] September 30th - 39 players (Baertschi, Goldobin, Biega)

Ossi Vaananen

16 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Canucks traded for Baertschi, what, five years ago?

What does that have anything to do with it? We were deep in the middle of the rebuild (or should have been) when we acquired him.

Unless you just mean it's a sunk cost now so forget about it lol

1 minute ago, HomeBrew said:

I liked the impact Schenn had on our team last year. Would be good to have on hand with we need that extra push back. I would claim him on waivers and use him on reserve at least until Tryamkin returns. 

I agree. Of all the ones waived, we know what Schenn is about and we need to maintain a high level of toughness to balance out the lines so therefore claiming this guy would be a good thing.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sven blah, blah....

I want to know where all the hit pieces are on the Oilers for waiving a respected vet like Gagner. Treating an NHL player so unprofessionally...they're never going to attract free agents now!

Sending down Gagner over the useless corpse of Granlund was a stupid move.

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Why trade for a player you might have to put on waivers and then lose for nothing? 

I assume any team that is trading for him is going to play him on their NHL roster.

It's clear no team wants him at his full cap-hit. I'm not a CBA expert but nothing that's happened today will change Bae's cap-hit for his future team unless we trade with retention or take a contract back (which obviously we don't want to do because we're trying to shed cap).

• Upvote 1

Sven has always been a bubble top 6 player, the only reason hes been playing top line or top 2 lines is because we only had one legitimate winger in brock or none before him.

He does not go to the hard areas.

He does not battle that hard.

He floats a lot

His floating is usually on the outside or from bad shooting positions.

He is wildly inconsistent

He has been injured a lot

Does not contain the brain power to both compete at a high level and not have mental breakdowns of play or confidence.

Can not "grind" it out, on the lower lines or PK

ALL of these reasons are why sven was waived today and not loui.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, kanucks25 said:

What does that have anything to do with it? We were deep in the middle of the rebuild (or should have been) when we acquired him.

Unless you just mean it's a sunk cost now so forget about it lol

You said Baertschi was traded for as a stopgap player. That was five years ago and as much as I happen to like Baertschi, you can't seriously argue that he's a part of the new core. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess thats where we disagree, don't see how its "humiliation". Its a cold business decision, its not a statement on him personally. If anything it shows that they think he does have value and someone might want him. 

during a a tough transition for the franchise Baer was nothing but class and the ultimate professional, imo.  He worked hard, set an example for other players and when healthy, was a consistent producer.  I guarantee you he feels publically humiliated.........I just don't agree with putting him through that, especially after a solid pre-season.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, EP-40 said:

Sven has always been a bubble top 6 player, the only reason hes been playing top line or top 2 lines is because we only had one legitimate winger in brock or none before him.

He floats a lot

Does not contain the brain power to both compete at a high level and not have mental breakdowns of play or confidence.

Baertschi gets his goals from the hard areas.  They primarily come from around the net.  

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

You said Baertschi was traded for as a stopgap player. That was five years ago and as much as I happen to like Baertschi, you can't seriously argue that he's a part of the new core. 

I'm not saying it's necessary for Bae to be a part of the new core, just that it makes no sense to trade a 2nd round pick for a guy you see as part of your future only to drop him like he's worthless when he's still in the prime of his career (barring more concussion issues).

The guy I was discussing this with originally claimed Bae was brought in as a stop-gap and "served his purpose" (e: the actual term used was "mission accomplished"). I don't see why 2nd round picks need to be given up for seat warmers.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Clearly earth shattering to the org.

You'll be happy to note neither are part of the club anymore :lol:

Spooner's buyout penalty is still on the books for this year and next, which is the result of the Gagner signing.

You'd think a 1M penalty wouldn't be a big deal for a team like ours. You'd think.

Edited by kanucks25

2 minutes ago, EP-40 said:

He floats a lot

None of this is true. The only assessment you made that has any truth to it is his health. But that is no reason to waive the guy. He's an upgrade on over half the roster. The only players definitively better are Petey, Boeser and Horvat. Argument can be made for Miller. But other than those 4 Baer is either on par or superior to everyone else in the forward group.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

during a a tough transition for the franchise Baer was nothing but class and the ultimate professional, imo.  He worked hard, set an example for other players and when healthy, was a consistent producer.  I guarantee you he feels publically humiliated.........I just don't agree with putting him through that, especially after a solid pre-season.

and for that effort he got 12 million bucks. Its a business decision, not a personal one. It might feel personal to him, but if he ends up on the top 6 in ANA e.g., pretty sure he'll feel just fine about it. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, kanucks25 said:

I'm not saying it's necessary for Bae to be a part of the new core, just that it makes no sense to trade a 2nd round pick for a guy you see as part of your future only to drop him like he's worthless when he's still in the prime of his career (barring more concussion issues).

The guy I was discussing this with originally claimed Bae was brought in as a stop-gap and "served his purpose". I don't see why 2nd round picks need to be given up for seat warmers.

If you can get parts of five seasons from a player, they've already beaten the odds in terms of played games for most second round picks. If this was happening the season after trading for Baertschi, you'd definitely have a point; but we're five years removed from that now; so I'd say value was gotten from the pick that was given up for him. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2