The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Daryl Morey, the NBA and LeChina

Toews

2 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

NBC has provided an analysis that we've already summarized on CDC.  :towel:

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/nba-s-fight-china-has-revealed-dangerous-ambitions-community-party-ncna1069781

(Not sure how to extract the text without pulling in all the ads and side-articles  :picard: )

Copy the url and paste it into the box at printfriendly.com.

Gets rid of all the ads/side garbage.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/23/2019 at 9:45 AM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

A bit surprised this was tucked away in a Friday afternoon news circular. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-raptors-hongkong-nba-1.5325965

No mention of this since Friday, not even on the National (CBC) or Global News broadcasts.

Considering that Huawei is a major sponsor, maybe the higher ups at CBC are worried about ruffling the feathers of their overlords.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/23/2019 at 12:24 PM, Kragar said:

Yay, Shaq:

“One of our best values here in America is free speech we’re allowed to say what we want to say and we are allowed to speak out on injustices and that’s just how it goes,” he said. “If people don’t understand that that’s something they have to deal with. I just think it as unfortunate for both parties and you got people speaking when they don’t know what they’re talking about, but Daryl Morey was right. Whenever you see something wrong in the world you should have the right to say, ‘that’s not right’ and that’s what he did.”

Shaq’s comments are a stark contrast to the line that NBA players and coaches have towed in hedging their comments over the Hong Kong protests in deference to business interests in China. But unlike LeBron James, James Harden, Steve Kerr and many others, Shaq doesn’t have the same business interests to protect. He’s basically free to say what he wants without fear of any monetary repercussions or official reprimands from the NBA.  Even if the players aren’t free or willing to express themselves on this issue, it’s nice to know that Shaq is at least there to shore up the causes of free speech and democracy.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/10/shaq-speaks-out-on-nba-china-situation-daryl-morey-was-right

Edit: just to be clear, since I don't have quote boxes while using my phone, all the words except Yay Shaq are from the article.

I believe that Shaq actually has some business interests in China, but kudos to him for actually having the balls to put the money where his mouth is to stand up to what's right.

• Cheers 1

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

"I think he is very wrong," lawyer Chen Wangshu said in Beijing. "As a sportsman, his most important responsibility is to do his job well, or to play good football."

24 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

"He should be responsible for his career and refrain from making any comment raising and inciting anger in other nations," Chen said.

Irony, or hypocrisy?

dude says other guy should just do his job, but who or what qualified him to talk about others?

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, gurn said:

Irony, or hypocrisy?

dude says other guy should just do his job, but who or what qualified him to talk about others?

16 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

The mouthpieces of the CCP have always been the pots at the forefront calling kettles black.  Hypocrisy is the near pinnacle of their existence, eclipsed only by shooting themselves in the head with their illogical and stubbornly dogmatic idiocy.

Basically just told him to "shut up and dribble".

Any comments from LeBron James?  lol

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/17/2019 at 9:11 AM, Tortorella's Rant said:

The States should've assisted the Empire of Japan in steamrolling the Chinese back in the late 30s, early 40s. We probably wouldn't be dealing with this $&!# today.

Actually, Mao himself said Japan never needed to apologize for Nanjing, because it was Japan trouncing the current regime of China that let the commies come in and conquer a broken country. It's always funny when modern day Chinese party officials bash on Japan for WW2 while quietly ignoring their own "hero" absolved Japan of guilt.

21 minutes ago, Kurgom said:

Actually, Mao himself said Japan never needed to apologize for Nanjing, because it was Japan trouncing the current regime of China that let the commies come in and conquer a broken country. It's always funny when modern day Chinese party officials bash on Japan for WW2 while quietly ignoring their own "hero" absolved Japan of guilt.

Off-topic rant. 

China did do some shady ass $&!# during pre world war 2 that ended up killing a lot of their own civilians just to slow down Japan’s invasion. Search up the yellow river flood of 1938.  

But not a lot of that is even close to what the soviets did. Stalin would purposely keep his own civilians in the line of fire in order to give his soldiers ‘more of a reason’ to fight. Not to mention the amount of brutality that happened on the eastern front to German civilians from Soviet soldiers. 

POWs had an insanely high mortality rate too on both sides. 

Overall an ugly war. A lot of senseless death and acts of atrocity. Few were saints and monsters created monsters. 

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Off-topic rant. 

China did do some shady ass $&!# during pre world war 2 that ended up killing a lot of their own civilians just to slow down Japan’s invasion. Search up the yellow river flood of 1938.  

But not a lot of that is even close to what the soviets did. Stalin would purposely keep his own civilians in the line of fire in order to give his soldiers ‘more of a reason’ to fight. Not to mention the amount of brutality that happened on the eastern front to German civilians from Soviet soldiers. 

POWs had an insanely high mortality rate too on both sides. 

Overall an ugly war. A lot of senseless death and acts of atrocity. Few were saints and monsters created monsters. 

OK, this is from a classic video game, but equally appropriate in reply to your post:

Stalin:  "When you kill one... It is a tragedy. When you kill ten million, it is a statistic."

If you want to talk about "self-inflicted wounds", there is a reason why the Russians got plastered so easily at the start of Germany declaring war on Russia.  Stalin got rid of much of the officer ranks in the army years earlier.  You can have THE most advanced tank in the world at the time (T-34) - *FAR* outclassing anything Germany (or any other country in the world) but if you don't have the proper officers leading the men, you're STILL up **** creek without a paddle.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

4 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

OK, this is from a classic video game, but equally appropriate in reply to your post:

Stalin:  "When you kill one... It is a tragedy. When you kill ten million, it is a statistic."

If you want to talk about "self-inflicted wounds", there is a reason why the Russians got plastered so easily at the start of Germany declaring war on Russia.  Stalin got rid of much of the officer ranks in the army years earlier.  You can have THE most advanced tank in the world at the time (T-34) - *FAR* outclassing anything Germany (or any other country in the world) but if you don't have the proper officers leading the men, you're STILL up **** creek without a paddle.

Soviets had over twice as many military casualties than Germany. They just kept throwing their soldiers at the problems. They had way more civilian casualties as well and overall the most casualties out of any power. 

I really feel for all those young men without guidance that watched so many of their brothers die and see their own people slaughtered senselessly. &^@#ed with their mental so bad. No wonder they in turn committed horrific things to German civilians like mass rape under the occupation of Germany... German POWs dropping like flies. They made their choice but Stalin helped shape them into monsters. 

No major power were saints during that war. Even the western allies were doing similar stuff to POWs and civilians.  War like that creates monsters and removes any sense of morality towards those you consider your enemies(soldiers/civilians).

We didn’t even mention the bombings in Japan where so many civilians died so quickly. 

Really awful part of our history. So many lives paid to the price for our freedom and people lost senselessly. I pay my respects to the soldiers but certain governments and leaders actions have me baffled.

They don’t teach you a lot of the horrific $&!# in schools. 

There is also good things that happened that will always put a tear in my eye like the liberation of the Netherlands by Canadian forces. I remember watching a video of some of the soldiers going back there when they were older and were treated like royalty with a parade. People bringing their kids right up too them to show them who help free them…  

• Thanks 2

On 10/8/2019 at 2:35 PM, Kragar said:

I was referring to China's revolution. They've done it before, and if they try again, maybe they can make a better society next time.

Same could be said for your country.

Maybe you could start with all not just "all men are created equal".

Women, people that aren't white,like everyone is created equal and are treated equally.

No society on this planet treats all its members equally.

https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/2017/may/04/science-inequality-why-people-prefer-unequal-societies

14 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

While arguments can be made for the merits of both the Tiger and T34 

on July 8th 1943 one Tiger singlehandedly took on 50 T34's destroying 27 of them and forcing the rest to retreat.

While the Tiger did have infantry support it was one armoured vehicle against 50.

What made the T34 great was that is was built for the conditions it had to fight in and was easier and cheaper to maintain.

• Cheers 1

On 7/2/2021 at 9:49 PM, Ilunga said:

Same could be said for your country.

Maybe you could start with all not just "all men are created equal".

Women, people that aren't white,like everyone is created equal and are treated equally.

No society on this planet treats all its members equally.

https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/2017/may/04/science-inequality-why-people-prefer-unequal-societies

Please go back and read the whole conversation 6of1 and I were having, in case you missed my point.

Or, perhaps you reqd it all and understood my point, and just took the opportunity to play "whatabout".

Considering the conversation I was having was almost 2 years old, I'm trying to figure out if you are being obtuse, or just trying to pick a fight.

1 hour ago, Kragar said:

Please go back and read the whole conversation 6of1 and I were having, in case you missed my point.

Or, perhaps you reqd it all and understood my point, and just took the opportunity to play "whatabout".

Considering the conversation I was having was almost 2 years old, I'm trying to figure out if you are being obtuse, or just trying to pick a fight.

3 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Probably the latter.  Fits the MO.

This guy can't help but say "what about the US" when anyone says anything about China, I don't know how people end up like that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kurgom said:

This guy can't help but say "what about the US" when anyone says anything about China, I don't know how people end up like that.

Bashing the US is a popular sport here on CDC.

Edit: As for your last sentence, who knows.  Maybe some sit far enough "left" that a dictatorship that is closer to one's ideology is better than a democratic republic that is further "right" than one would like.  Or who knows, it could be something else entirely.

Edited by Kragar

5 hours ago, Kragar said:

Sorry brother 

This is the longest break that I don't get to see my beautiful son and I am a bit toey.

It's not an excuse just a reason.