The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Los Angeles Kings at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 09, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Brouhaha said:

As a sports fan, you only hope that you live long enough to watch your team capture the ultimate goal. If you're really lucky, you get to witness it more than once in your life time. Sometimes, fans of teams who have a rich history of winning don't get to embrace certain moments the same way that they might have if they weren't so lucky in that category. Last night, at least for me, was one of those nights. A new bookmark that had me tearing up as soon as I heard the words "power forward" during the intro for the 2000's representative. While I hope I get to live long enough to watch us win a cup, I'm very happy that I got to embrace this moment. I'm happy for all of you as well, because we're fans of sport, which is all about entertainment, after all. Last night was magical. 

Well stated.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I am watching the beginning of the season over here in Italy. Enjoying Bo’s ‘C’ anointing which was great for him and the fans.

Seeing big Bert there was also a nostalgic thrill. I have been a consistent critic of him and Naslund for their lost opportunity during the WCE era. My main beef was their poor d-side play. That cost in playoffs. That said one can not deny they played some very exciting hockey for the Canucks.

Disappointed Linden was not there but I am sure it was because of a previous commitment as suggested. There is no question that he is the greatest Canuck. Check out teammate comments from the ‘94 playoffs to confirm that if you did not have the privilege to actually watch that CUP run. That said Bo has that ability in him as well.

Someone mentioned that Matty Ohlund was not there. He has returned for Canuck events but not to a large degree. I wish he were more involved. I hope there is no hard feelings between him and the .org. Loved that Dennis Kieran’s was there.

So many players could have been there... Linden of course was the most missed.  Ohlund and Lumme among others … Salo too,  Morrison... so many.  

You're in Europe?  I've been watching football for a while -- the Bundesliga especially -- and am so impressed at the way the players there interact with the fans.  Saw Munich's stars sign autograph after autograph, selfie after selfie.  Unbelievable patience and availability.  I wish we had their 50 plus 1 ownership rule.  It would make hockey more affordable for one.  Is it the same in Italy? 

3 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

And bring him back within the organization. 

A lot to learn from him about the pyscology of power game,  I think he would be a great asset as a trainer/specialty coach..

last year heard him say on “Bertuzzday 650”. . He would love to have time with Jake.

And now with JT Miller, Ferland, Horvat, Leivo, Virtannen, MacEwan,  Podolzkin, and others with the organization, a position like that for Todd would be nothing but a huge positive move for the team and fans.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 2

After re-watching the introductions and captains ceremony the Canucks nailed it, seeing Bert and Captain Kirk come out in full gear made me tear up a bit, so many memories, especially Kirk. 
as for the game it was great game, no one really had a bad game, as long as this team can push the pace, they’ll do just fine this season.

12 hours ago, Brouhaha said:

As a sports fan, you only hope that you live long enough to watch your team capture the ultimate goal. If you're really lucky, you get to witness it more than once in your life time. Sometimes, fans of teams who have a rich history of winning don't get to embrace certain moments the same way that they might have if they weren't so lucky in that category. Last night, at least for me, was one of those nights. A new bookmark that had me tearing up as soon as I heard the words "power forward" during the intro for the 2000's representative. While I hope I get to live long enough to watch us win a cup, I'm very happy that I got to embrace this moment. I'm happy for all of you as well, because we're fans of sport, which is all about entertainment, after all. Last night was magical. 

Great post. Especially considering a lot of posts I see make it seem like fans only care about the bottom line. Championships. I love this team, championship or no championship. That home opener was a great moment for this franchise. 

• Cheers 2

13 hours ago, redhdlois said:

Just re-watching the game, and I just have to thank our lucky stars that we drafted Quinn Hughes.....he is an amazing talent....and only 8 games into the league.

He plays such a different style of game than most D: fast, uses his stick together with his speed to make plays every shift -- many of them defensive.  And he doesn't just stand around waiting for the play to come to him.  Reminds me of what I remember of Bobby Orr.  Or maybe Coffey.

10 hours ago, SilentSam said:

A lot to learn from him about the pyscology of power game,  I think he would be a great asset as a trainer/specialty coach..

last year heard him say on “Bertuzzday 650”. . He would love to have time with Jake.

And now with JT Miller, Ferland, Horvat, Leivo, Virtannen, MacEwan,  Podolzkin, and others with the organization, a position like that for Todd would be nothing but a huge positive move for the team and fans.

One of my favorite Canucks. I thought the exact same thing once I was over my surprise when he skated on the ice. Even if Bertuzzi could somehow "transfuse" even a little of that mean streak into Jake. Its interesting that Jake is right close to the point in his career that Bertuzzi was when his trajectory really started to trend upwards.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, xereau said:

giphy.gif

I had, and still have, a lot of issues around the way Bert's time in van ended.  However, it was so good to see him skate out there and see the reaction the from the fans.  It did go a long way for me in kind of letting it go.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I do think people tend to romanticize his time in Van..........he was one of the laziest, under motivated players that has played in Van.  He was a frustrating player to cheer for because he would dominate for awhile and then disappear.  And he was clinically allergic to backchecking and defense.

That said, until "the incident" I did like having him play in Van.