The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Possible Canucks trade looming

cuporbust

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Only reason to move Stecher is because we are expecting someone to replace him. We don't have enough depth right now to just unload him for picks or prospects.

Elliot must not follow the Canucks closely because the reason why Stecher averaged nearly 20 minutes was because of injury. I think most know he's a 3rd pairing guy that simply is capable of stepping up (see Hutton).

If we're moving Stetcher, I gotta think it's an upgrade. Not trading down. I'd like to think he's a 4-5 tweener kind of defenseman. I was thinking about this last night. If I HAD to guess, he'd be packaged with Gaudette and maybe some salary if the defenseman they're looking at is being paid more. To me  there's no other reason to trade Stetcher at this point.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Barrie in the rough price range of Tanev+Stecher tho would be quite the offensive upgrade. Having both Hughes and Barrie would make us pretty hard to outscore, we'd actually have two legit PP units too. Dunno, just spitballing possible moves. 

Barrie for Stecher?  Crap that's easy.  Even though Barrie is clearly only a rental, I'd do that one in a heartbeat.  

7 minutes ago, Noseforthenet said:

If that's the case, then why isn't he in Utica, playing top line minutes? I can't honestly believe he's here to keep a seat warm right now and Gaudette earned the spot in the everyday lineup  IMO, so why is he bench warming? He was never going to be here to play 4th line minutes because that's not good for his development. It's 3rd line center or back to Utica and that's the position Sutter owns right now. Nashville has always had a good relationship with our team and there is definitely a trade history dating back 10 years or so. Whether they'd have any interest in Sutter is another story, but to just figure nothing is going on at all is definitely false. I'm actually pretty sure Benning said something about it at the end of last season as well, wanting to move a center and keeping Gaudette in the fold because his development was coming along.

Nashville has no use for Sutter.  Bonino has the same role and is +27 with the lowest zone starts on the Predators - his line has been significantly outscoring opponents in a defensive role.  They also have Sissons and Jarnkrok who can play that shutdown role.  

Media believes that Gaudette is going to be sent down.  He has 16 NHL games left before he becomes waiver eligible.   They probably don't want to use those games up right now because it's going to limit their flexibility.  Roussel is also soon coming back.

Benning also said that Gaudette had to be in the AHL to develop.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Barrie in the rough price range of Tanev+Stecher tho would be quite the offensive upgrade. Having both Hughes and Barrie would make us pretty hard to outscore, we'd actually have two legit PP units too. Dunno, just spitballing possible moves. 

I don't think Barrie is going to sign for 7 million, otherwise Colorado would've locked him up already.

On the other hand, Barrie has 4 points in 10 games and is a -4 currently. Now of course there's lots of hockey left, but he isn't exactly making their 2nd unit PP better right now. I think our cap could potentially be better spent elsewhere because he may be decent offensively (although maybe playing behind the MacKinnon line helped), defensively he doesn't provide enough to take up that much cap space. I think the only reason we might even consider moving Stecher is because of his size and we have Hughes in the D group already, so Barrie doesn't really help with the situation either.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

The Canucks should have enough coming off the books next season and cheap depth that I don't think they need to be "dumping" Stecher. If we get lucky and Baertschi and/or LE decide to simply move on, then even better.

Having dead cap space is never ideal.  If they fail to make the post-season they'll probably want to make adjustments to the roster and it would limit them.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Nashville has no use for Sutter.  Bonino has the same role and is +27 with the lowest zone starts on the Predators - his line has been significantly outscoring opponents in a defensive role.  They also have Sissons and Jarnkrok who can play that shutdown role.  

Media believes that Gaudette is going to be sent down.  He has 16 NHL games left before he becomes waiver eligible.   They probably don't want to use those games up right now because it's going to limit their flexibility.  Roussel is also soon coming back.

Benning also said that Gaudette had to be in the AHL to develop.

Whatever the case, it has gotta be frustrating for the kid. He needs to play. MAYBE it's a salary thing, with Roussel coming back, which might also be the reason Stetcher is coming up in "rumblings". They package him with Baertschi and there's some flexibility, which is why I was thinking about Nashville. You add in Gaudette and you MIGHT be able to get Ryan Ellis. But again, this is purely conjecture. The contract he has is big enough to devalue him enough that it could be of interest.

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Having dead cap space is never ideal.  If they fail to make the post-season they'll probably want to make adjustments to the roster and it would limit them.

It wouldn't be wholesale adjustments anyway. There's going to be change next season regardless. With or without the little space Stecher would save us now, it's not going to impact next season if we are looking to make big changes anyway. Moving Stecher now (or soon) IMO would contribute towards potentially failing to make the post-season because we would be taking depth away from a position we have been weak in for years. We've already moved Biega out, so no point pushing our limits here unless there's a player coming back (whether in the trade or a signing like a Tryamkin later in the year).

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I don't think Barrie is going to sign for 7 million, otherwise Colorado would've locked him up already.

On the other hand, Barrie has 4 points in 10 games and is a -4 currently. Now of course there's lots of hockey left, but he isn't exactly making their 2nd unit PP better right now. I think our cap could potentially be better spent elsewhere because he may be decent offensively (although maybe playing behind the MacKinnon line helped), defensively he doesn't provide enough to take up that much cap space. I think the only reason we might even consider moving Stecher is because of his size and we have Hughes in the D group already, so Barrie doesn't really help with the situation either.

home town discount? :lol: I don't think he gets more than Trouba, so I do see Barrie landing here somewhere in the 7s actually, so Tanny+ Troy right now are at 6.775 with Troy due for a slight salary bump. I could see Barrie signing here for 50 mil over 7 years if its heavy on bonus money.

With defensive scoring becoming so much more important I don't know that we can put the entire load on Hughes. 

2 minutes ago, Noseforthenet said:

Whatever the case, it has gotta be frustrating for the kid. He needs to play. MAYBE it's a salary thing, with Roussel coming back, which might also be the reason Stetcher is coming up in "rumblings". They package him with Baertschi and there's some flexibility, which is why I was thinking about Nashville. You add in Gaudette and you MIGHT be able to get Ryan Ellis. But again, this is purely conjecture. The contract he has is big enough to devalue him enough that it could be of interest.

Ryan Ellis? Brock Boeser wouldn't even fetch us Ryan Ellis at this point.

9 minutes ago, Noseforthenet said:

Nashville is not going to trade Ellis. He's one of theirs as Friedman puts it - a heart and soul player.  He was a strong consideration to wear the C  - they created the position associate captain for him - the other As are assistants.  He also leads their team in points right now.  Nashville's system is based on their 4Ds.  Poile is enamoured with a strong top-4 and always talks of how they build net out.  

They are in a win now mode and Poile explained that Fiala needs more development and didn't fit their window.  Gaudette is even further behind development wise.

Nashville doesn't want to add more cap space.  Poile talked of how they need room because they have key players up at the end of this season - notably Josi.  

Edited by mll

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

home town discount? :lol: I don't think he gets more than Trouba, so I do see Barrie landing here somewhere in the 7s actually, so Tanny+ Troy right now are at 6.775 with Troy due for a slight salary bump. I could see Barrie signing here for 50 mil over 7 years if its heavy on bonus money.

With defensive scoring becoming so much more important I don't know that we can put the entire load on Hughes. 

Edler and Myers are doing their share for the offense from the D. If we are worried about the 2nd unit PP, we don't need pump that much money to do so. Might as well give someone like Tryamkin (hell even Stecher) a look on the 2nd unit if that's the concern. Assuming Hughes gets PP1 duties (doesn't make sense to have both Hughes and Barrie on the top PP unit IMO).

Trouba was an RFA I believe when he signed his extension. Barrie will hit the UFA market, so we will see what demand there will be for him. So unless Barrie is also signing the "hometown discount", I think he's going to hit 8 million (if his numbers don't drop off this year and if they do, then no thanks anyway). Personally with the raises that some of the RFAs are going to get over the next few years, I don't think it's wise to give Barrie that type of deal.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

Edler and Myers are doing their share for the offense from the D. If we are worried about the 2nd unit PP, we don't need pump that much money to do so. Might as well give someone like Tryamkin (hell even Stecher) a look on the 2nd unit if that's the concern. Assuming Hughes gets PP1 duties (doesn't make sense to have both Hughes and Barrie on the top PP unit IMO).

Trouba was an RFA I believe when he signed his extension. Barrie will hit the UFA market, so we will see what demand there will be for him. So unless Barrie is also signing the "hometown discount", I think he's going to hit 8 million (if his numbers don't drop off this year and if they do, then no thanks anyway). Personally with the raises that some of the RFAs are going to get over the next few years, I don't think it's wise to give Barrie that type of deal.

I guess it comes down to personal preference, i think I'm higher on Barrier than you possibly. I wouldn't want him tho outside of the 7's in AAV tho. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Klingberg is off to a terrible start in Dallas and I'd be trying to snag him if I were JB. Dumba as well. Two very good dman who you may be able to trade for.

Dumba is probably the most untouchable roster player in Minnesota.  They are an incredibly slow team and he's one of the few that can skate.  Guerin was just raving about how their top-4 is elite.  I doubt he'd have any interest in dismantling their Ds when they have nothing coming in the system. 

11 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Klingberg is off to a terrible start in Dallas and I'd be trying to snag him if I were JB. Dumba as well. Two very good dman who you may be able to trade for.

Can’t imagine any world where Dallas would trade Klingberg. Same with Minnesota and Dumba. 

9 minutes ago, mll said:

Dumba is probably the most untouchable roster player in Minnesota.  They are an incredibly slow team and he's one of the few that can skate.  Guerin was just raving about how their top-4 is elite.  I doubt he'd have any interest in dismantling their Ds when they have nothing coming in the system. 

Which is why they would dismantle their D to get something in their system.

Just now, peaches5 said:

Which is why they would dismantle their D to get something in their system.

They can't.  Suter has a NMC and a recapture contract - they can't even trade him because of the risk of a massive penalty.  Spurgeon just re-signed.  

Their owner has always been against a rebuild.  It's more likely going to be a soft re-tool.  Even if they rebuild - Dumba is a great young player to build around.  It's the vets to trade not core young players. 

Their starting point of any rebuild / re-tool is Dumba, Boldy and Kaprisov.

I can see why JB would think of trading Stecher instead of Tanev.  Friedman earlier this season talked about how the Canucks are maybe not looking to trade Tanev anymore since he's shown chemistry with Hughes. 

our top 4 is a lock and Stecher is kinda being wasted on the bottom pairing, All of our top 4 can eat a lot of minutes, there just isn't enough minutes for Stecher to be really effective. he had the lowest ice time on the defence last game with 13 mins. 

JB also said he wants to see Juolevi this season, then we've got Utica guys like Rafferty and Sautner who are ripe and maybe a Tryamkin return.

You don't want to hold on to him all season like we did with Hutton. it's a contract season for him, so his camp might ask for money that JB isn't willing to pay and we could potentially lose him for nothing. 

If we do trade him i think its for a top 6 RW upgrade.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Ryan Ellis? Brock Boeser wouldn't even fetch us Ryan Ellis at this point.

I said upgrade. Whether it's him or someone else entirely is a different story. That's why I say, if there's rumblings about trading Stetcher, it's about upgrading him. Whether or not my idea was too far out of left field or what is irrelevant. The point was made. I'm sticking to that.