The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Possible Canucks trade looming

cuporbust

14 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

ethan bears apparently been playing good and mins, doubt the oilers trade him.

Maybe I should've gone with Matt Benning instead as a reference. The point I was trying to make was would you take a bottom pairing dman and a guy waived making decent coin still for a player with potential like a Gaudette or Lind (or in the original post I responded to, Vesalainen or Roslovic).

52 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Would you trade a Gaudette (or Lind) for Matt Benning and Gagner?

Edit: Swapped Bear for Benning to emphasize the bottom pairing dman.

Good edit. 

Bear is their rookie dman playing more than Quinn Hughes and in all situations.  

• Cheers 1

If I had to guess, I'd imagine that at least two of Leivo/Ferland/Virtanen/Gaudette/Baer get moved leading up to Roussel returning. And being that we JUST signed Ferland (and his NMC), he's probably not likely. And given Gaudette doesn't require waivers, I doubt it's him.

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Leivo/Ferland/Virtanen

Roussel, Sutter, Leivo/Ferland/Virtanen

Schaller, Beagle, Motte

Eriksson

But there's simply not room for all of these guys. Some bodies NEED to be moved out.

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If I had to guess, I'd imagine that at least two of Leivo/Ferland/Virtanen/Gaudette/Baer get moved leading up to Roussel returning. And being that we JUST signed Ferland (and his NMC), he's probably not likely. And given Gaudette doesn't require waivers, I doubt it's him.

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Leivo/Ferland/Virtanen

Roussel, Sutter, Leivo/Ferland/Virtanen

Schaller, Beagle, Motte

Eriksson

But there's simply not room for all of these guys. Some bodies NEED to be moved out.

We have some interesting decisions in November. Unless someone gets injured, we are definitely going to need to make a trade to make space.

On the plus side of things, I think this is the most games in a row that Sutter has played in a couple of years. He's looking pretty good out there.

• Cheers 1

If I were JB I'd sit tight with trades, don't want to shake up something that is working so well together. If anything I think we might see a forward traded for a 2nd or ideally 1st round pick but doubt it, and we really should wait for the season to get truly under way because any big injury will spell disaster for us.

Having Baertschi conditioning and scoring big points in the AHL is huge for us right now because down the stretch we will suffer injuries and he'll slot right into our top-6. I'd much rather have a full press-box and AHL than come playoff time when we're riddled with injuries we have no one to call upon but Boucher...

Deep teams go deep in the season and in the playoffs, we've seen that before, let's learn from our mistakes and not make a drastic change unless we really have to.

All these rumours about Stecher being traded I find disturbing.  We finally have some D depth. And even then, not a lot. Any replacement from the farm would be a downgrade. Haven't we learned our lessons?  Tanev and probably Edler are guaranteed to miss a good chunk of games. Stecher was so important last season for that reason. On a good club, it is only natural to have players a bit pissed off with their playing time.  That means you are doing something right. Don't change anything.  Of course never say never if they are getting back a better D replacement, but how often does that happen? And what would be the point?  We already have a glut of forwards and our goaltending is locked up.

Edited by kilgore
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, kilgore said:

All these rumours about Stecher being traded I find disturbing.  We finally have some D depth. And even then, not a lot. Any replacement from the farm would be a downgrade. Haven't we learned our lessons?  Tanev and probably Edler are guaranteed to miss a good chunk of games. Stecher was so important last season for that reason. On a good club, it is only natural to have players a bit pissed off with their playing time.  That means you are doing something right. Don't change anything.  Of course never say never if they are getting back a better D replacement, but how often does that happen? And what would be the point?  We already have a glut of forwards and our goaltending is locked up.

Maybe JB and the coaches feel that young kid, Rafferty, is better than Stecher, or will be if given opportunity?  Maybe they think that OJ is progressing quickly, and he's an upgrade on Stecher right now?  If we could get a second round pick for Stecher, I'm all for it, especially if it comes from a bottom feeder like Ottawa, Detroit, or the Devils.  

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe JB and the coaches feel that young kid, Rafferty, is better than Stecher, or will be if given opportunity?  Maybe they think that OJ is progressing quickly, and he's an upgrade on Stecher right now?  If we could get a second round pick for Stecher, I'm all for it, especially if it comes from a bottom feeder like Ottawa, Detroit, or the Devils.  

Isn’t that the point if Stecher is moved. It is about what comes back. How well is the young group in Utica coming on. Does it make more sense to wait until spring? Moving Stech for value makes sense if he can be replaced.

This is one of those rumours that does not make sense...

Stecher is a good 5/6 ,makes below league average, local kid, works his butt off, is well liked in the room.

Unless its say, sutter + stecher for a better rhd we dont have the cap room or rhd to replace stecher internally.

Leafs propaganda machine spinning its wheels in that swamp they call Ontario once again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Isn’t that the point if Stecher is moved. It is about what comes back. How well is the young group in Utica coming on. Does it make more sense to wait until spring? Moving Stech for value makes sense if he can be replaced.

JB was saying the team has a variety of plans to meet the cap costs, while continuing to build, and resupply.  If Stecher goes, I wonder if JB would prefer a pick or a body?  I think pick.  

4 hours ago, kilgore said:

Aren't 99.5% of rumors made up crap that never, ever, happen?

Yes....yes they are.

Edit: just look at last summer with the Canucks, and especially near the draft.  We were supposedly in on about 10 players. We got none of the ones based on rumors. JB surprised us by getting JT Miller that no one had predicted or made up rumors about. 

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, kilgore said:

I don't think you have anything to worry about with Stecher at least until closer to the TDL.

At that point, the team needs to decide on whether they want to give him the raise he's going to require this summer. That will likely depend a LOT on how guys like Juolevi, Brisebois, Eliot, Teves, Rafferty are progressing (as well as/too a lesser extent guys like Woo, Rathbone etc) and/or whether it looks like Tryamkin is coming back as well as whether or not it looks like Tanev is re-signing or moving on.

There's a lot of balls in the air and as much as I love the guy and it pains me to type it, there's no guarantee Stecher's 'ball' lands in a Canuck uniform beyond this year. And he would certainly have trade value (perhaps even more, packaged with some of that middle 6 W'er depth we have a logjam of).

I mean would you be as opposed to moving him if we did something like Virtanen + Stecher +/- for Tuch at the TDL...?

Edited by aGENT

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I don't think you have anything to worry about with Stecher at least until closer to the TDL.

At that point, the team needs to decide on whether they want to give him the raise he's going to require this summer. That will likely depend a LOT on how guys like Juolevi, Brisebois, Eliot, Teves, Rafferty are progressing (as well as/too a lesser extent guys like Woo, Rathbone etc) and/or whether it looks like Tryamkin is coming back as well as whether or not it looks like Tanev is re-signing or moving on.

There's a lot of balls in the air and as much as I love the guy and it pains me to type it, there's no guarantee Stecher's 'ball' lands in a Canuck uniform beyond this year. And he would certainly have trade value (perhaps even more, packaged with some of that middle 6 W'er depth we have a logjam of).

The Canucks will certainly need to start some contract talks to see where Stecher's side is at. If he's looking to cash in like Hutton, then we move on from him. If he signs a "hometown deal", then lock him up. He has to realize he's a bottom pairing dman and very replaceable should he want to play hard ball in contract talks (eg wait until the end of the season before negotiating or whatever). The biggest leg up for him is that he's a local kid, so we will see how important it is to him to want to try and win here. I can't see us paying him more than 2.75 million a season (not strictly value-wise, but what we can afford cap-wise moving forward).