The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Possible Canucks trade looming

cuporbust

29 minutes ago, Noseforthenet said:

I said upgrade. Whether it's him or someone else entirely is a different story. That's why I say, if there's rumblings about trading Stetcher, it's about upgrading him. Whether or not my idea was too far out of left field or what is irrelevant. The point was made. I'm sticking to that.

Which is what I was saying earlier. The rumour is that we may be moving him for picks/prospects and I disagree on hurting our depth at this point unless we have a replacement in the trade or a signing like Tryamkin, but that's a ways away still.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Which is what I was saying earlier. The rumour is that we may be moving him for picks/prospects and I disagree on hurting our depth at this point unless we have a replacement in the trade or a signing like Tryamkin, but that's a ways away still.

Well we also have Juolevi waiting in the wings and Benn plays both sides... so we still have some depth.

I would wait to trade him later as well though.  I don’t think the return now is going to be much better than at the deadline when we have a better sense of how injured our D have been.

Having said that, if a team is panicking like Ottawa and we could package up Eriksson with Stecher for a nominal return, then I do that in a heartbeat.  That cap space is valuable even in the short term as it would let you carry a guy like Baertschi to slot in occasionally... or make a move for another piece.

I don't think Stecher is going anywhere. Not unless Tryamkin is here and that's not possible untill March at the earliest. 

Team is playing well why would they trade Stecher. He's doing good on 3rd pair that's where he belongs. 

Unless they are looking to upgrade via trade then we'll have to add a younger guy. 

Who knows but doesn't seem likely this early in season. Maybe they want to add more size to 3rd pair. Which would be ideal but Tram solves that later in the season. 

7 hours ago, Darius said:

dont know if this was posted anywhere...but this is kinda outta the blue (to me)

And of course those mouth breathing dbags at hfcanucks now are yelling from on high that stecher is the best top 4 D man ever!! Inbred dogs...

Haha...those frickin idiots. Stecher is a solid 3rd pairing guy. Simple. Not more and not less. Can play more minutes if needed but probably should not.

Not sure why we would trade him now. Wait until a Utica guy cements themselves as better than stech or tryamkin comes back.

hf......( :sick: )

12 hours ago, rekker said:

I disagree. I think that's a fair trade for both sides considering the difference in ages. I'm not even sure I'd do that one for one. 

Nashville already has 2 x 30 goals scorers in Forsberg and Arvidsson - both are right shots.  Duchene also hit 30 goals last season.  They only have 1 Ryan Ellis and their system is based on the efficiency of their 4 Ds.  They are also all about speed and two-way game - seems like a rather easy no for them.  They want to compete now and Ellis fits their window and it would just dismantle their D-corps for a player that is not a necessity while Ellis is.

Arvidsson and Granlund are their top-6 RW.  Maybe he could play ahead of Granlund but it would significantly weaken their Ds.  Ellis is RD1 and after him it's Fabbro and his 20 NHL game.  Nashville leads the league in goals per game - they don't need scoring help.  Ellis leads their team in points.

Poile made it clear that the only reason he moved Subban is that they felt comfortable that they would still have a strong top-4.  If they move Ellis their top-4 is no longer strong.   They also need to get Josi under contract and that's not a certainty so moving a key D is even less likely.  

Edited by mll

1 hour ago, mll said:

Nashville already has 2 x 30 goals scorers in Forsberg and Arvidsson - both are right shots.  Duchene also hit 30 goals last season.  They only have 1 Ryan Ellis and their system is based on the efficiency of their 4 Ds.  They are also all about speed and two-way game - seems like a rather easy no for them.  They want to compete now and Ellis fits their window and it would just dismantle their D-corps for a player that is not a necessity while Ellis is.

Arvidsson and Granlund are their top-6 RW.  Maybe he could play ahead of Granlund but it would significantly weaken their Ds.  Ellis is RD1 and after him it's Fabbro and his 20 NHL game.  Nashville leads the league in goals per game - they don't need scoring help.  Ellis leads their team in points.

Poile made it clear that the only reason he moved Subban is that they felt comfortable that they would still have a strong top-4.  If they move Ellis their top-4 is no longer strong.   They also need to get Josi under contract and that's not a certainty so moving a key D is even less likely.  

I agree woth those points. My comment was more on the values of the two players. Not meant to be a comment on whether or not the teams would do the trade. My bad, I wasn't that clear on it. 

4 hours ago, mll said:

Yeah, you've definitely convinced me too. I still believe there's something here in the works involving either Gaudette or Sutter (and maybe Stetcher to upgrade his position), but the likelihood of it being Nashville is extremely slim. The way you outlined it, I can't see them making any move of ANY sort!

15 minutes ago, Noseforthenet said:

Yeah, you've definitely convinced me too. I still believe there's something here in the works involving either Gaudette or Sutter (and maybe Stetcher to upgrade his position), but the likelihood of it being Nashville is extremely slim. The way you outlined it, I can't see them making any move of ANY sort!

Gaudette is waiver eligible once he plays 80 NHL games.  He is at 64 now.  They probably don't want to use up those games just yet.  Everyone is healthy so to get him in the lineup they need to take someone out.  Once someone is injured he will likely go in and it will bring him closer to those 80 games.  My guess is that he is heading to Utica soon. 

The Canucks need some cap space so keeping only 22 players will allow them to bank some cap space.

5 hours ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Maybe its time to get this PPG KHL player back in our organization ;) http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=128613

Good on him for doing well overseas.  

I guess he's just slow starter and maybe time away from North America is what he needed for his development.  He's got the skills, the size, and the skating... it was always just mental that was holding him back.  

He is entering his prime now, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that he may get another shot back in the NHL.  

35 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Good on him for doing well overseas.  

I guess he's just slow starter and maybe time away from North America is what he needed for his development.  He's got the skills, the size, and the skating... it was always just mental that was holding him back.  

He is entering his prime now, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that he may get another shot back in the NHL.  

KHL plays no defense, and is a much slower league.  Guys have to be extremely good over there to crack an NHL lineup.    

!!SALE!!

Step right up, and be the first on your block to own a Stecher. He can play in any D pairing and gives 100% every shift. He's a mobile Dman, who can create offence, has a good motor and although a bit smallish for an NHL Dman, he's gritty and doesn't shy from the physical stuff. Order within the next 5 minutes and receive an Eriksson absolutely free!! Limited supply, so call now.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, 70seven said:

If we could only parlay Stecher + Baertschi into another legit top 6 winger...  or a solid young player.

Winnipeg needs RHD badly.  Be nice to pry Vesalainen or Roslovic

That’s an interesting suggestion. I’d hate to mess with Utica’s chemistry right now but I’d love to get a young player like one of those two. 

2 hours ago, 70seven said:

If we could only parlay Stecher + Baertschi into another legit top 6 winger...  or a solid young player.

Winnipeg needs RHD badly.  Be nice to pry Vesalainen or Roslovic

Would you trade a Gaudette (or Lind) for Matt Benning and Gagner?

Edit: Swapped Bear for Benning to emphasize the bottom pairing dman.

Edited by theo5789
  • Haha 2