The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Oct. 17, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, Cup2022 said:

EP CF 78.88 last night highest on team some people don't see the big picture only the points

not arguing about petey's performance, but seeing corsi as the "big picture" is a little bit funny. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Cup2022 said:

Shots for and against while you are on ice EP was 23 for 9 against last night shows you are dominanting possession

These stats are kind of interesting, but is it an accurate measure of a player's effort? Some players get lucky being on the ice at the right time, some are also unlucky. Is there a stat that measures how long it takes a player to shoot? Pettersson needs help here.

4 hours ago, Kragar said:

I think the only way we got lucky with the refs is that they figured after 2.5 periods of BS work, they tried to even things up.

There were a lot of clear calls that the Blues got away with (Petey's hand slashed while on a rush, two trips in front of the blues net, and IIRC Tanev taken down behind ours, all three trips impacting the play, for starters), I was shocked we got the 5-3 called.  I don't think the Blues deserved the goalie interference there, but there were plenty of real penalties the refs missed.

OT was even, IMO.  Blues got lucky about midway with a non-call (Hughes took a high-stick) then we got lucky late with a trip behind their net not called.

Though I don't disagree with those calls being missed, I also think there were a couple holds we got away with as well. Surprisingly we haven't been called much for holding this season and I thought we should have. 

• -AJ- unfeatured and unpinned this topic
2 hours ago, Cup2022 said:

Just part of the picture top players in NHL have great advanced stats as well as points

He just needs to be more of a shoot first kind of guy.  He has been fine, but will produce much more once he starts getting that shot off.  Let Miller and Boeser clean up the rebounds.  

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Guadette should be in and Schaller out...does any of the following ring a bell from last nignt;

...and Schaller can't keep it in

...Schaller falls down creating the breakaway

...Schaller misses the puck on the attempted pass

...Schaller was out of position on that last goal...

I think he is putting out way more than last year, but Guadette is better in almost every way...he just needs to be put on the 2nd PP and myabe some PK practise for later in the year....

I have to disagree.  I love that 4th line and you don't switch it up during a winning streak.

Need to send Gaudette down to play big, all situation minutes. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Guadette should be in and Schaller out...does any of the following ring a bell from last nignt;

...and Schaller can't keep it in

...Schaller falls down creating the breakaway

...Schaller misses the puck on the attempted pass

...Schaller was out of position on that last goal...

I think he is putting out way more than last year, but Guadette is better in almost every way...he just needs to be put on the 2nd PP and myabe some PK practise for later in the year....

Firstly, seeing as you are a big Canuck fan, spell Gaudette's name right.

Secondly, Schaller has played very well for a number of games. The game he plays is not at all the same as the game Gaudette plays, so if Gaudette goes back in, it will not be for Schaller.

Schaller is there to crash and bang on the 4th line and to PK.  Gaudette is a more skilled player that will play higher in the lineup (once he has more experience).

PS Rollieo:  your prediction in my signature is not aging well is it??   :ph34r:  One for four ain't bad  :ph34r:  :lol:

Edited by Kanukfanatic

5 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

An okay game, it had it's moments.

Demko looks like he really got into a groove after the third goal.

It is eerie how much the team has the same stats as last year, 6 games - 4 wins - 22 GF and 19 GA, the difference being 5 goals against but then the schedule is easier than last year.

The teams are not in the least bit comparable though.

4 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Maybe not, but I don't think you recognized his contribution.  The effort, yes...but it is effective even if it isn't rewarded individually.  Which is what I love about him...he cares about winning, not about his own stats.

I agree completely.  I have no doubts that he will figure out how to impose his game on the top defensive players in the league. 

I do think he and Boes need to be split up for awhile though.  Not only for the shake up, also to spread the talent around a bit so Bo can have a dynamic offensive player on his line, he deserves it.  I'd love to see

Miller Petey Virt

Pearson Bo Boes

Ferland Sutter Leivo

Schaller Beagle Motte

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, riprypien said:

Can we talk about that deke by Tanev? Shades of Quin.

Yeah, that was pretty sweet.  You can see the confidence he's playing with.  I've been up front about feeling that JB needed to move on from CT, but never, ever because of his ability or performance.  It looks like they're committed to him and he's looking fantastic with Hughes........I hope he can stay healthy.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

In a time of chimpanzee's, there was a monkey...

Yo? Connect!

Well well well.  We gots ourselfs a smart guy.  lol

Yeah. They were completely clueless out there. For 90 secs I kept waiting for some kind of threat to evolve, then I realized nope, not gonna happen. Thank goodness some wildass panic got the job done after expiration.  I suggest some wildass panic (urgency) about 10 seconds in next time.  How d'ya like that?

Edited by trombone

5 hours ago, oldnews said:

I think it's really encouraging to grind out wins - particularly on the road, against an opponent like that - particularly when your 'stars' aren't necessarily clicking.

it was a great, level kind of win where lots of guys contribute - including a rookie goaltender who stepped up and kept them in striking range when St L might have managed that 4th goal that may have sealed it.  no real weak spots in the lineup anymore.

For 6-7 minutes in the second, I thought for sure they were going to break, but Demko stood tall, the pk reinvigorated the rest of the team and you could feel them start to rally around each other.  Talent aside, I think JB & Co have done a masterful job of finding cohesive personalities........this already feels like the most "team" team since 2011

• Cheers 2

how\d you like the Ferland, Virtanen duo?

These two given more TOI will be a force to contend with no matter who plays center....keep them together!

Sign of a good player....had a bad game and still picked up two points.

Edited by Pete M
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Cali Canuck said:

NB or TG switched Bo and JT's places - dumb move.  Keep JT down low / net front have Bo player the bumper positions & put QH43 on PP1

Exactly

and Edler is not quick enough in his movement and thought process to be able to set up our two snipers EP40 or BB6...QH43 would be the perfect QB to set these two snipers up.

They got it right with JT down low and net front and with the puck movement starting down low and moving quickly to the side then point...this is where QH would shine with his movement and passing ability to either EP40 or BB6 or taking the shot with Miller in front.