The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Oct. 17, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

9 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

I’m not sure If it’s a case of “everyone catching up to Miller,” as it’s a case of, “opposing defensemen and shut down centers are overcommitting to Petey and Brock which is allowing Miller to be freed up.”

if you’ve noticed, a few of Millers’ goals this year has been from him being wide open in the slot and ripping it.   There’s a reason why he’s often so “wide open.”

You really aren't saying that there are excuses for Miller's success are you? Did you see his deflection goal? He is in the right place at the right time and finishing. That's skill and he has proven in the past its not just this year. I think its a little narrow minded to say he is being gifted all these points. 

Even if this idea carried any kind of truth, not all of the Sedins line mates were successful even when they basically put the puck on their stick at the right time to score a goal. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

Also send hughes out in the shootout please 

My only issue with sending Hughes out in the shootout is how much easier it is for goalies against smaller guys. When your reach isn't as long it's much easier for a goaltender to follow the hands because they don't have to commit as much to stick handling. He has to have way more skill than somebody who is 6'2" or something like that to score. 

• Wat 1

3 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Good comments but I disagree with the bolded. Back when little things Loui was signed, that version of the Canucks simply needed some NHL calibre players, which Loui was at the time.

That and we were still trying to appease the twins and he was supposed to help them.

• Like 1

Thrilled with the effort of this team, and the gritty character to battle back and win it. I have to be honest, I thought they were done after STL went up 3-1. But Demko shut the door after that (not even any shootout goals), and the team played hard. So pleased with this, a 4-game win streak, and Demko filling in great. I used to think of road trips as really tough, playing in all of these other buildings at strange times, in front of hateful fans. But these road trips are actually a great thing for the Canucks. They have quite a few new guys and this will just further gel them as a team. I would still like to see a bit more from Pettersson and Horvat, but that will come.   

23 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

The pundits on TSN 1040 were talking about how Virtanen is still having a bad start or didn't have a good game. I think everyone is beyond thinking that he is the next Jeff Carter. For what Virtanen has showed in the previous 2 years I would say he has started rather well, for him. He hasn't got on the score sheet yet but I think he is doing all the other things well. He is hitting more and starting to  get offensive opportunities playing with Sutter of all people. They were also saying Sutter was mediocre but again, I think Sutter has had a strong start to the year as well. He knows his role and plays it well.

Those clowns have to manufacture BS in order to justify their airtime.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Also another game where we got lucky with refs. So far I have us with a +1 for favourable reffing which is odd. 

I think the only way we got lucky with the refs is that they figured after 2.5 periods of BS work, they tried to even things up.

There were a lot of clear calls that the Blues got away with (Petey's hand slashed while on a rush, two trips in front of the blues net, and IIRC Tanev taken down behind ours, all three trips impacting the play, for starters), I was shocked we got the 5-3 called.  I don't think the Blues deserved the goalie interference there, but there were plenty of real penalties the refs missed.

OT was even, IMO.  Blues got lucky about midway with a non-call (Hughes took a high-stick) then we got lucky late with a trip behind their net not called.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Kragar said:

I think the only way we got lucky with the refs is that they figured after 2.5 periods of BS work, they tried to even things up.

There were a lot of clear calls that the Blues got away with (Petey's hand slashed while on a rush, two trips in front of the blues net, and IIRC Tanev taken down behind ours, all three trips impacting the play, for starters), I was shocked we got the 5-3 called.  I don't think the Blues deserved the goalie interference there, but there were plenty of real penalties the refs missed.

OT was even, IMO.  Blues got lucky about midway with a non-call (Hughes took a high-stick) then we got lucky late with a trip behind their net not called.

Agreed and that doesnt' take into account the linesmen who blew at least 2 offside calls against us and one or 2 the Blues got away with...I think we have gotten close to a fair shake for home games but the zebras don't like us when we travel....

Guadette should be in and Schaller out...does any of the following ring a bell from last nignt;

...and Schaller can't keep it in

...Schaller falls down creating the breakaway

...Schaller misses the puck on the attempted pass

...Schaller was out of position on that last goal...

I think he is putting out way more than last year, but Guadette is better in almost every way...he just needs to be put on the 2nd PP and myabe some PK practise for later in the year....

4 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Guadette should be in and Schaller out...does any of the following ring a bell from last nignt;

...and Schaller can't keep it in

...Schaller falls down creating the breakaway

...Schaller misses the puck on the attempted pass

...Schaller was out of position on that last goal...

I think he is putting out way more than last year, but Guadette is better in almost every way...he just needs to be put on the 2nd PP and myabe some PK practise for later in the year....

incorrect

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

The pundits on TSN 1040 were talking about how Virtanen is still having a bad start or didn't have a good game. I think everyone is beyond thinking that he is the next Jeff Carter. For what Virtanen has showed in the previous 2 years I would say he has started rather well, for him. He hasn't got on the score sheet yet but I think he is doing all the other things well. He is hitting more and starting to  get offensive opportunities playing with Sutter of all people. They were also saying Sutter was mediocre but again, I think Sutter has had a strong start to the year as well. He knows his role and plays it well.

They know fans, for the most part, are hating on Jake. Just feeding into their idiocy. Outside of scoring 40 goals Jake will always be a disappointment. Jake is down in ice time by roughly 3 minutes per game, and everyone should have seen it coming when the team added 3 top 6 forwards. Pearson, Ferland and Miller were gonna take added minutes from others. I think people need to just forget about Jake, stop microanalyzing a 3rd/4th liner. Let him play. He's not hurting the team and is a decent physical presence.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2