The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Around the NHL | October (20-26) 2019

Rate this topic

3 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Finally Colorado lost , only 18 shots against St. Louis 

Yup.  Watched that game.  Avs are just too light.  A much heavier team just dominated the net fronts, and wall play.  Avs had something like only 5 total shots on five on five play.  

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  Watched that game.  Avs are just too light.  A much heavier team just dominated the net fronts, and wall play.  Avs had something like only 5 total shots on five on five play.  

Good to see they have a weakness. Cause damn, they are stacked. 

6 hours ago, skolozsy2 said:

Congrats to Kirby Dach on scoring his 1st NHL goal last night against Vegas.  Hopefully there are many more to come!

Just too damn bad the Hawks suck and Toews looks like he's about 80 years old.

There are a LOT of miles on that man for being only 31

Leafs are real close to falling out of a playoff spot. This is going to get real entertaining to watch. They look brutal in their own end, even worse than last year. They miss Hainsy and Kadri who both played a very solid defensive game. Last year they built up a large points lead in the standings early on feasting on weak teams. This year not so much. They only made the playoffs by four points last year. Again, this is going to get real entertaining. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, rekker said:

Leafs are real close to falling out of a playoff spot. This is going to get real entertaining to watch. They look brutal in their own end, even worse than last year. They miss Hainsy and Kadri who both played a very solid defensive game. Last year they built up a large points lead in the standings early on feasting on weak teams. This year not so much. They only made the playoffs by four points last year. Again, this is going to get real entertaining. 

I was listening to the Leaf's TSN radio station on the Internet.  They are all talking about Babcock being the guy who will take the hit if the Leafs continue to struggle.  The hosts were saying the Leafs look like they don't want to compete.  Oh my that was fun listening. :frantic:

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, rekker said:

The icing on the cake will be if Barrie continues to have a sub-par year, and the Canucks sign him at a discount next July.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I was listening to the Leaf's TSN radio station on the Internet.  They are all talking about Babcock being the guy who will take the hit if the Leafs continue to struggle.  The hosts were saying the Leafs look like they don't want to compete.  Oh my that was fun listening. :frantic:

This morning they were blaming the backup goalie. Ya, that's the issue. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, D-Money said:

The icing on the cake will be if Barrie continues to have a sub-par year, and the Canucks sign him at a discount next July.

Question is that if he has a sub par year, do we even want him at a discount? It would be mean his offense dried up on a heavily offensive minded team (he's not on PP1, but would he be here if Hughes is the PP1 guy?). Defensively he isn't helping the Leafs (and not really for Colorado either), so does this benefit us?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Question is that if he has a sub par year, do we even want him at a discount? It would be mean his offense dried up on a heavily offensive minded team (he's not on PP1, but would he be here if Hughes is the PP1 guy?). Defensively he isn't helping the Leafs (and not really for Colorado either), so does this benefit us?

I think Barrie is a minus 5 or something like that.  Their D core, excepting Muzzin, really struggles without the puck.  I'm so glad JB didn't trade for Barrie, or Subban.  Myers and Benn are a lot better, and cheaper too.  

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

He's been a solid player for a number of years in Colorado, under different coaches. For whatever reason, he's just not meshing with Babcock (wouldn't be the first time). I'd still be willing to take a chance on him, especially if his $/term demands were extra-reasonable because of one sub-par year.

If you wonder how good Barrie is offensively, here are the top-5 point producing D-men in Canucks history:

1 SE Alexander Edler     823GP -   374Pts                
2 SE Mattias Öhlund     770GP -   325Pts                
3 FI Jyrki Lumme     579GP -   321Pts                
4 CA Dennis Kearns     677GP -   321Pts                
5 CA Doug Lidster     666GP -  

307Pts

If Barrie had been a Canuck for his career, he'd already have passed Lidster, with 311 points in only 495 games.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think Barrie is a minus 5 or something like that.  Their D core, excepting Muzzin, really struggles without the puck.  I'm so glad JB didn't trade for Barrie, or Subban.  Myers and Benn are a lot better, and cheaper too.  

I'm glad we used our conditional 1st on Miller rather than those guys too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I'm glad we used our conditional 1st on Miller rather than those guys too.

The Leafs gave up their 2019 first, and their coming first in hopes of building a Cup winner.  Dubass is ruining their present, and their future.  It's like he's following the Brian Burke plan.  Didn't Burke trade a couple firsts for Kessel, in hopes of winning now?  

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

He's been a solid player for a number of years in Colorado, under different coaches. For whatever reason, he's just not meshing with Babcock (wouldn't be the first time). I'd still be willing to take a chance on him, especially if his $/term demands were extra-reasonable because of one sub-par year.

If you wonder how good Barrie is offensively, here are the top-5 point producing D-men in Canucks history:

307Pts

If Barrie had been a Canuck for his career, he'd already have passed Lidster, with 311 points in only 495 games.

I'm not doubting his offensive abilities. He's probably a 50 point dman running the top PP while getting a ton of offensive starts (I haven't checked this). He got close to 60 points the last couple of season, but MacKinnon also found another level in those 2 years which leads me to believe he fed off that surge. The problem with Barrie is that while he has decent offensive numbers, he's not very good defensively which negates some of that offensive production.

I don't disagree that if he takes a heavy discount then I'm not against the idea, but I just don't think he will come cheap. I wouldn't pay him anymore than our top paid dmen now at this point. If he bounces back offensively, then I just don't see him fitting our cap structure long term.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The Leafs gave up their 2019 first, and their coming first in hopes of building a Cup winner.  Dubass is ruining their present, and their future.  It's like he's following the Brian Burke plan.  Didn't Burke trade a couple firsts for Kessel, in hopes of winning now?  

But the Leafs have rebuilt properly by the right and only way.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, D-Money said:

307Pts

I think Barrie, even though putting up points, is almost always a big minus player.  I think he's overrated, and I'm glad the Leafs have him, and not us.  I don't see him as a fit with how Green wants his guys to play.  It looks like Babcock is seeing the bad D in Barrie's game too.  

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don't watch the Leafs but Carolina was talking about how Gardiner will help with break out passes.  Barrie in Colorado was a puck skating D.  He entered the zone with the puck on his stick and made the plays.  Maybe it's a different system / role.