The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] TYLER TOFFOLI

VaNux

Wonder what it would take to get him? 

He's pending UFA, and has had some great chemistry with Pearson in the past. Decent size, speed and skill. Maybe a trade deadline deal?

Petey-Horvat=Boes

Pearson-Miller-Toffoli

1 minute ago, TheInsideScoop said:

A possible upgrade, depending on what we trade for him. Also, I think the idea would be to sign hi after

Do you really think the Canucks are that close to being Stanley Cup contenders?  If not, why spend assets on a rental?  I would rather keep those assets.

As for signing him after, that's still an option if they don't trade for him.

• Upvote 2

He had a career high of 58 points back in 15/16 but he's historically been more of a 35-50 point guy. He's also 27 and will be looking to cash in and get a raise on his 4.6m. 

Could be interesting, but I'm not interested. Especially given that he wouldn't come cheap from a division rival. Toffoli isn't the kind of player who makes of breaks your team. 

If they have any interest whatsoever they'd be better off just doing their due diligence closer to the ufa period. 

My thought was later in the season when LA isn't in the playoff picture. I would only look at doing this, if we could trade some redundancy in the deal.

He's a decent player who be a nice upgrade on Leivo or Virtananen.

If the price was too steep, and/or we didn't have an inclination of retaining him, we'd of course pass.

I like the idea of loading our top line, and having Miller 2C, but he would need a decent RW. Right now I feel like that is what we could try to upgrade

20 minutes ago, TheInsideScoop said:

Wonder what it would take to get him? 

He's pending UFA, and has had some great chemistry with Pearson in the past. Decent size, speed and skill. Maybe a trade deadline deal?

Petey-Horvat=Boes

Pearson-Miller-Toffoli

Years ago on a different team in a different situation.

For some fans tend to overrates how well players perform together in a specific situation and think that applies to all situations.

Pearson Carter Toffoli made a great line in LA. Now Toffoli is a 40 pts guy. Makes 4.6mill. 

I think we need someone with skill who can pass the puck to play with Horvat and Pearson. 

Leivo or JV can provide around 35 pts if they play all season on 2nd line. I don't see JB paying a pick and prospect for Toffoli. If he does make trade it'll be for a legit top 6 player who can make passes and set up his line mates. Horvat and Pearson are puck hounds. Need a skilled guy with them.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Winter Soldier said:

Years ago on a different team in a different situation.

For some fans tend to overrates how well players perform together in a specific situation and think that applies to all situations.

He's a good player, and I think he would be a good addition at the right price. Playing successfully with Pearson is definitely an added bonus

Toffoli would be mint, but the Canucks aren’t in a position where they should be giving up young long term assets for short term rentals.

I would love to have Toffoli here for the long term, but I don’t think the Canucks would be able to afford him (taking into account that we’ll need to re-up Petey and Hughes within the next two years, while also replacing/extending Edler with an equal calibre dman, as well as extending one of Marky or Demko). 

Toffoli would have been a bloody awesome though.   I just can’t see how we’d be able to afford him long term.

2 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Toffoli would be mint, but the Canucks aren’t in a position where they should be giving up young long term assets for short term rentals.

I would love to have Toffoli here for the long term, but I don’t think the Canucks would be able to afford him (taking into account that we’ll need to re-up Petey and Hughes within the next two years, while also replacing/extending Edler with an equal calibre dman, as well as extending one of Marky or Demko). 

Toffoli would have been a bloody awesome though.   I just can’t see how we’d be able to afford him long term.

Yea I think so too! I just didn't know what it would take to land him, so thought I'd see what people thought

2 minutes ago, Green Goblin said:

Hmmmmm... I wonder where we can find a skilled guy who has good chemistry with captain Bo?

lol

I was actually thinking that such move would allow us to load the top line with Petey-Bo-Boes, so Miller can be 2C.

Saying that, I'm all over Baer coming up. Just feel that we need a strong natural RW. Leivo and Virt aren't really cutting it imo

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TheInsideScoop said:

lol

I was actually thinking that such move would allow us to load the top line with Petey-Bo-Boes, so Miller can be 2C.

Saying that, I'm all over Baer coming up. Just feel that we need a strong natural RW. Leivo and Virt aren't really cutting it imo

I totally agree that Leivo and Virt haven't cut it top be in the top 6. I do like having Miller on the top line, but Miller in the 2C would create a good amount of space for our wingers, it would allow for more skill to be injected into the lineup. We need Baer back. I would love it if Baer was called up soon. If not, can Ferland play well on his off wing?

I think it's a matter of overloading our top 6 versus having a balanced attack. Maybe we can find a way to do both? 

I'd be willing to give up a 2nd round pick at most for Toffoli assuming we're well into the playoff race and have the cap space by somehow moving Eriksson.

Eriksson @ 33% retained + 2nd + conditional 2nd 2020

Would this get it done? 

Don't really see the point to bring in someone with whom Pearson had past chemistry.  Horvat is the core player not Pearson.  

Pearson hasn't been playing as well the past few games and he's still a bit of an unknown - how does he do in the middle of the season rather than garbage time and start of the year where some teams are still trying to find their marks.

The game is faster than ever and some players might not have the speed, quickness, IQ anymore to get back to past production levels.  So any trade for someone who did well a few years ago but whose production is declining can be risky.  Rask is the easy example - he cannot play at the NHL level anymore because of the increased speed.

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

I think we have too many middle to bottom 6 players at the moment for it to really make sense. We need to offload first if we want to even think of this and I doubt LA's going to take our scraps to do that trade.

Besides, as of right now, our forward group's looking pretty good. No point in rushing things.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I think we have too many middle to bottom 6 players at the moment to really make sense. We need to offload first if we want to even think of this and I doubt LA's going to take our scraps to do that trade.

Agreed, I would rather figure out what fits where first with our middle six before shopping around.  Especially when the team's winning with the established groups and pairings, it buys time to figure out what works and what doesn't.  As it is, there's options that the team could play around with, or package for an upgrade.

Right now, 

(Miller) - Pete - Brock (the only reason I don't have Miller there in brackets (incumbent) is because he's a jack of all trades guy, maybe he could fit w/ Bo at EV?)

Pearson - Bo - ______ (the whole premise of adding Toffoli was due to a perceived need for this spot, but what if Sven/ Goldie/ Miller/ Ferland/ Jake/ Leivo fit?)

(some mix of Leivo, Ferland, Jake, Sutter, Gaudette, probably Sven/ Goldie sometime in the future on the 3rd line)

Schaller - Beagle - Motte (don't fix what isn't broken on the 4th line)