The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] TYLER TOFFOLI

VaNux

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Pearson Carter Toffoli made a great line in LA. Now Toffoli is a 40 pts guy. Makes 4.6mill. 

I think we need someone with skill who can pass the puck to play with Horvat and Pearson. 

Leivo or JV can provide around 35 pts if they play all season on 2nd line. I don't see JB paying a pick and prospect for Toffoli. If he does make trade it'll be for a legit top 6 player who can make passes and set up his line mates. Horvat and Pearson are puck hounds. Need a skilled guy with them.

I heard there's this guy named Ben Svercheese or something like that. Anyways, he's a skilled playmaker, can finish, and is apparently playing in the sticks somewhere.

I think he's worth a look...

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I heard there's this guy named Ben Svercheese or something like that. Anyways, he's a skilled playmaker, can finish, and is apparently playing in the sticks somewhere.

I think he's worth a look...

He needs to get his head right and get in shape.

He struggled in pre season. Seemed hesitant almost afraid of body contact. 

If he can get in proper shape and get his confidence back I can see him getting called up.

I juries are inevitable so he'll get a chance at some point in the season. 

2 hours ago, TheInsideScoop said:

Yea I think so too! I just didn't know what it would take to land him, so thought I'd see what people thought

Probably looking at Virtanen +  (I don’t fully know the Kings’ needs, but I don’t think they have anyone in the pipeline as far as goaltending prospects go and so they might try and ask for Demko+).   

Toffoli would be a sweet addition, but not as a rental.    The Canucks aren’t anywhere near that stage yet.

7 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Probably looking at Virtanen +  (I don’t fully know the Kings’ needs, but I don’t think they have anyone in the pipeline as far as goaltending prospects go and so they might try and ask for Demko+).   

Toffoli would be a sweet addition, but not as a rental.    The Canucks aren’t anywhere near that stage yet.

I disagree.  We have 2 legit starting goalies.  Our defence has 3 legit pairings and we have Hughes who could be dominant in the second half of the season.  When Roussel comes back we will have a ton of options in the bottom 6 with Gaudette ready to step in at any time as well.  We actually have more than we need in the bottom 6.  The only weakness I see on this team is a right wing spot on the 2nd line.  Miller  Petey and Brock is a formidable 1st line and as long as they can stay healthy they will only get better as the season moves along.  BO is a great 2nd line centre and has chemistry with Pearson.  So if we fill that right wing spot on Bo's line with a legit top 6 winger I think not only can we make the playoffs but we can make a good run at it.  

Not sure Toffoli is the answer though.  He is not the same player from 3 years ago.  I'm sure Benning will identify any potential right wing candidates once the trade deadline approaches.  I'd hate to see us get into the playoffs and have to play Leivo on the 2nd line.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 1

Team is vastly improved from last season. Our defense looks good we now have Stecher as 3rd pair where he should be. If Tryamkin comes back before end of the season we'll be deeper in case of injuries.

Top 6 RW is exactly the upgrade this team needs. I think JB will try to acquire one by tdl. 

Palmieri in NJD or Zucker in MIN might be available by tdl. Both teams have had a poor start and might be sellers by Xmas. 

Trade for one of those two. Miller can be shifted to Horvat line and Zucker/Palmieri with EP if they gel better. 

It'll be expensive though. Looking at one of our top prospects plus 2nd round pick.

But with Zucker/Palmieri on this team and Tryamkin returning making our D deeper we're a pretty good team. They'd win a round or two in playoffs.

EditTypo

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Team is vastly improved from last season. Our defense looks good we now have Stecher as 3rd pair where he should be. If Tryamkin comes back before end of the season we'll be deeper in case of injuries.

Top 6 RW is exactly the upgrade this team needs. I think JB will try to acquire one by tdl. 

Palmieri in NJD or Zucker in MIN might be available by tdl. Both teams have had a poor start and might be sellers by Xmas. 

Trade for one of those two. Miller can be shifted to Horvat line and Zucker/Palmieri with EP if they gel better. 

It'll be expensive though. Looking at one of our top prospects plus 2nd round pick.

But with Zucker/Palmieri on this team and Tryamkin returning making our D deeper we're a pretty good team. They'd win a round or two in playoffs.

EditTypo

The Canucks have no cap space and aren't banking any right now as they are in LTIR.  Unless they remove from the main roster they are not going to be able to make any additions.  Pettersson and Hughes are also bonus eligible and not sure that they'd want to use up any cap space, however small, to avoid a carry over to next season.  

Minnesota is likely heading for a rebuild with them being too old and too slow - they so desperately need picks / prospects.  Zucker is one of their few fast forwards so not even sure they would want to move him as their other vets just can't keep up.  Can't have a lineup made of just a bunch of kids and slow vets.

Edited by mll

He plays a heavy game, but I'd rather they just go after him in UFA.

What this team needs is another pure goal scorer in the top 6.

Someone 'like' Jeff Carter ca 2009-11.  A guy with size that pots goals.

Jake was supposed to be that guy. He's not, and will never be.

A hockey trade for Tanev (assuming both signed) if one of our AHL defensemen shows they're ready to take over the role is the absolute maximum I'd be willing to give up.  Doubtful LA does that.  No to picks/prospects being dealt for rentals.

Edited by King Heffy

16 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

EditTypo

If GMJB acquires a top 6 rw, its not going to be a midget/small player or old player making over 5 mil.

Alex Tuch would be the perfect target.

14 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

If GMJB acquires a top 6 rw, its not going to be a midget/small player or old player making over 5 mil.

Alex Tuch would be the perfect target.

Lol. Why would VGK trade that beast. He's only 23 they signed him long term at good cap. 

Teams would line up if he was available. Vegas not trading him. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Lol. Why would VGK trade that beast. He's only 23 they signed him long term at good cap. 

Teams would line up if he was available. Vegas not trading him. 

An injury on D for vegas and with Glass looking like a player makes Alex Tuch the most moveable contract at forward.

Tuch is a 3rd liner in vegas, making almost 5m

Most of the top 8 forwards listed below have movement clauses aside from Tuch, Karlsson and Eakin.

Stone 9.5 Stastny 6.5 Pacioretty 7.0

Smith 5.0 Karlsson 5.9 Marchessault 5.0

Tuch 4.75 eakin 3.85

Well it seems this idea was a giant fail lol Personally, I think he will have a good year. If he doesn't sign with LA, they'll be looking to offload him. Probably best to attempt in the offseason if at all.

Really like the idea of Toffoli, just depends on the cost. 

if Canucks send one of Sutter/Baertschi back the other way and a B prospect, i think it’s a good move. But I think that sort of deal is a pipe dream. 

that being said, Canucks got Pearson last season and only gave up gudbranson. It is possible that they could toffoli for cheap

other players the Canucks could look at as rentals:

chris krieder

Miko Koivu

Martin Frolik

Vlad Namesnikov

connie brown

ryan strome

out of all players listed, I think Toffoli is the best target as he can fill the 2nd line rw role well and won’t cost as much as say, Chris krieder. I also think frolik may be a good target though if the Canucks can send a contract back the other way

Edited by The_Rocket

First off, whatever chemistry Pearson and Toffoli had at one time certainly didn't look to exist anymore last season. Pearson played 17 games in LA, and only had 1 assist.

Secondly, count me among those who aren't even certain if Pearson is a long-term solution for 2LW. He had a great run last year, and started hot this year, but hasn't done much the last 4 games. I think the jury is still out on him, so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to make acquisitions based on him.

16 hours ago, TheInsideScoop said:

Well it seems this idea was a giant fail lol Personally, I think he will have a good year. If he doesn't sign with LA, they'll be looking to offload him. Probably best to attempt in the offseason if at all.

I just think it's more of a matter of why would we want to do this? Would Toffoli actually bring something we don't have to the table or is he just going to be another body on the team?

I think it's easy for people to get fixated on players that we don't have and think "I want". I bet you though that if Toffoli was actually on the team, people at that point wouldn't care as much about him and would just focus on the next target that we don't have that "they want" while Toffoli just gets mixed up with the rest of our middle 6/bottom 6. lol

And if you want actual proof of this, look no further than how people are treating Pearson even on this very thread.

Edited by The Lock

• 2 months later...