The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at San Jose Sharks | Nov. 02, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

42 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm sorry, but this just reads as defensive because I'm calling into question the level of our competition thus far. An attempt to frame things in a way where anyone that questions whether our record and place in the standings is indicative of where the team actually stands is characterized as a 'hater' or 'troll', even when these 'trolls' are actually super stoked the team is doing well and only wants to bring to light a legitimate concern that they have. 

The fact is that we've feasted on Detroit twice in these first 14 games. Same with LA. Both of these teams were near the bottom of the league last season, and aren't projected to be any better this season. We creamed San Jose last night, which is great, but San Jose is the worst team in the conference so far this year. Florida has been a legit good team so far this year, but it also needs to be mentioned that we were catching them on a back-to-back. The Rangers have been pretty poor this year as well, and the Flyers are only slightly better and, on paper, aren't projected to do much this season. 

This isn't to put an asterisk next to our wins. Only to state the fact that we've had a pretty kushy schedule thus far. Yes, you still need to take advantage of those types of opportunities and pile up the points, which we've accomplished, but let's not go nuts and say that pummeling LA and Detroit are the same as beating Colorado or Nashville. That's just not the case, and anyone with a trace of intellectual honesty will admit as much. 

The FACT is we'll be facing much stiffer competition in November. No Detroits are LAs to feast on this time. That's why I say this month will be more telling than last month. We'll be up against some legitimate playoff contenders in the coming weeks, and we'll have a better idea of where we stand in comparison to some of the better teams in the league after facing them. 

Part of the reason LA and Detroit are doing poorly in the standings is because we whooped each of their butts twice already. Also, Canucks were near the bottom of the standings LAST year and weren't projected to do much this year either, at least by anyone not connected to the team. 

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Go back to the Duchene trade. Ottawa just came off a conference finals appearance and were adding Duchene. I doubt Sakic knew they would fall off a cliff either yet gets credited with making a "shrewd" move. Unless you think Sakic knew about the behind the scenes between Karlsson and Hoffman.

The Avs were just as bad as Ottawa before their upturn. I don't get why people are so negative towards everything that is Ottawa, or they would be just "fortunate" should things actually work out for them. Maybe people don't like Melnyk as a person, but their team has done what a lot of people here had been calling for and have complained about our owner spending and supposedly not getting results during our "rebuild". Seems to be a lot of contradiction.

If your point is that Colorado benefiting the way they did doesn't mean Sakic is a genius I agree. It's easy to praise a move in retrospect, but you're right, nobody saw it coming. Most didn't see Ottawa sliding the way they did, just like most didn't see San Jose sliding the way they have. That's why I'd say no, the Karlsson trade wouldn't make Dorion look like a genius if San Jose wound up giving em a top pick. 

Neither GM had any way of knowing how things would turn out, they were likely just making moves that each thought would benefit their teams/organizations at the time. Karlsson wanted out, Ottawa needed to get something. There'd been rumblings about Duchene for years, something had to happen eventually. 

If Ottawa gets a top pick it's an interesting story line, but that's all it is. 

5 minutes ago, rekker said:

That EK contract is looking bad already. Hardly noticed him last night except for mistakes he made. I know he adds some offence but his skating has diminished considerably. His D coverage is brutal. 

so far the guy is not worth the money. Shame he had that ankle problem, was on his way to the HHOF till then.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Was thinking this exact same thing... 4 games suspension in the play offs finals for a late hit causing injury...

Yet here we have same situation, with an even later hit, and silence.... not even a call during the game... At the time I thought, here we go again with the one sided refereeing, but hat off to the officials... Its the first time, I can remember, where we weren't really short-changed by the refs... although Jakes slashing was very weak...

Thought there were a tweet posted during the game that the NHL DOPS would look into the hit... Can anyone confirm this?

I saw this in the GDT as well

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, gurn said:

so far the guy is not worth the money. Shame he had that ankle problem, was on his way to the HHOF till then.

I wonder about EK's acceptance on the team. There were rumblings in Ottawa of his "me first" attitude. Pure speculation on my part but I wonder if that room in San Jose is somewhat fractured. Some old guard players and a new guy like EK with an attitude and underwhelming play could cause friction. 

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Not to derail the thread, but I would argue Tiger, especially due to being in an individual sport over team, was the most dominant in sports history. Anyways, back to the topic at hand.

I would say tiger, in the early days, was comparable.  However, longevity factors into it.

6 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

It's mind boggling to me.

I get people weighing in with skepticism and uncertainty when we're losing...but for crying out loud, get behind the team when we're doing some good things?  The sky is falling is so overdone here...I just want to coast on "hey, this is cool" for awhile.  5 out of 6 road points.  Woo!

They want the rest of us to be "realistic" when ... the standings are the measuring stick in that.  The points.  Doesn't matter how you get them, it only matters that you do.

Worry about things when they happen, not if they (might) happen.  That's called generalized anxiety and it sucks so I prefer not to dwell there.  Sucks all the joy out of life.

This team is so much fun to watch right now....I have no time to analyze and project into the future.  I'm in the here and now, enjoying the ride.

Well said. I'm not convinced we are built for a seven game series let alone four of them. But who cares, its a work in progress and damn fine entertainment at the moment. We've turned Doughty into Poughty twice in a month, just ran amok in Cali, watched Joe Thornton embarrass the heck out of himself due to frustration, moving up the NHL power rankings quickly, a young goalie finding his game, legit superstars in the making, role players we only wished we had in 2011, beat the champs in their home rink. Just sit back and enjoy the moment. I was giddy last night. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Give credit when it's due...the Canucks are rolling (9-3-2), any given game, every team is a challenge...losing to NJ, but beating StL the defending cup champs shows this parity in the league.

...looking at November's schedule (team is already 1-0-1), I see the same kind of competition as in October. StLouis, Nashville, Washington and Pittsburgh are all formidable opponents in November same as Dallas, or just like StLouis, Washington, Calgary, Edmonton and Florida in October....the difference is the Canucks can dominate if they don't take another team lightly and if they stay healthy.

...kind of hoping to see Baer play with Horvat again to rekindle some chemistry and have Gaudette or JV as the other winger.

...so if Arizona beats the Oil and the Canucks beat StLouis, then the Canucks will be first in the Conference and the only other team better in the league would be Boston...wooohoo!

Edited by Pete M
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Was thinking this exact same thing... 4 games suspension in the play offs finals for a late hit causing injury...

Yet here we have same situation, with an even later hit, and silence.... not even a call during the game... At the time I thought, here we go again with the one sided refereeing, but hat off to the officials... Its the first time, I can remember, where we weren't really short-changed by the refs... although Jakes slashing was very weak...

Thought there were a tweet posted during the game that the NHL DOPS would look into the hit... Can anyone confirm this?

5B470175-12F7-4EBF-A1DE-F9CA7CE8F9C4.png

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

dam canucks are deep who comes out when  roussel is ready to go i love our depth only weakness i see in roster is no heavy fighter than hits and stands up for team  sorry petersson being run all last yr and sautner hit  im getting sick of teams being ultra dirty to our players   i say trade one of  leivo, motte, goldobin, baertchi for 

21 minutes ago, rekker said:

I wonder about EK's acceptance on the team. There were rumblings in Ottawa of his "me first" attitude. Pure speculation on my part but I wonder if that room in San Jose is somewhat fractured. Some old guard players and a new guy like EK with an attitude and underwhelming play could cause friction. 

He looked so ineffective to me last night...hardly knew he was playing (which can be a good thing, but really wasn't).

He also got away with holding a lot...like body hugging stuff that kind of shows desperation to me - really should have been called on one play behind the net...was SOOOO obvious.  Was one of my favourites, but is starting to wilt.  As these guys with experience (and bags full of money) age, the younger generation is taking over.  Have to earn those big bucks...can't coast on them Messier style.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1