The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at San Jose Sharks | Nov. 02, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

9 hours ago, Canorth said:

You also forgot Crosby.

None if those players would come close to to those numbers in today’s NHL, the best chance would probably be Mario or Bobby.... but still, no where close.

I get it. Just really excited about this kid and his potential. He’s been on an upward trajectory since his draft. His ceiling far from determined. He has “legend”written all over him.

Hmmm...well  Gretzky played with and against the young stars of the late nineties to early 2010’s, and did so a few years before retirement in the dead puck era ... with clutching holding interference and a red line - yet was still a top 3-5 scorer at the time, beating all of them out.    Mario too.  

Not saying he’d score 200 - but would also don’t think his scoring would be much different either.    Removing the red line and the lack of obstruction would help him - bigger goaltenders doing the butterfly would not - but still what’s the percentage difference between .89 and .910 SP?   10-12 percent approx.   So instead maybe he’d have 2750 points.  If you didn’t watch these guys play I don’t think it’s right to compare eras - but it’s very easy to compare how guys did late in their careers against the next crop of stars - and in almost every case the best were still at or near the best against them.   Selanne, Jagr, Iginla, St Louis, Federov, Bure, Sakic, Yzerman, Bossy, Lafluer, Mario, Potvin, Coffey,  Borque...all these guys played against guys at the start of their careers that were ten year vet stars and the end of their careers that had up and coming stars too -it’s actually not that hard to compare under those circumstances IF you were there.

Yes the game is faster now - not like it wasn’t fast then either though.  Gartners time lasted forever - and it wasn’t started the same back then either (harder). 

One more thing about Gretzky - he was literally lapping most of the scoring leaders in his prime.   Doubling them.  Nobodies ever done that but him, it would be like, well McKinnon scoring 99 and EP scoring 198.  It was incredible back then and is still incredible today.

Agree Crosby and add Ovi as legends when they are gone too.   EP has a lot of time to prove he’s that good - if he gets over 100 this year it would be a heck of a start.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, kingfreako said:

I was at the game! Super fun. Hoping to see them again when they return to San Jose on December 14.

Aside from the usual suspects (Boeser, Pettersson, Horvat) impressing, I gotta say after watching them live I was really impressed by the way Pearson and Gaudette play. Not afraid to get into the dirty areas and take hits to make plays. Same goes for Beagle and Schaller.

Canucks could have easily scored 7 if it weren't for a couple of stellar saves by Dell.

Canucks actually connecting more on their stretch passes and cross-ice passes have been a pleasant improvement this season, upping the speed of the game and keeping the other team on their toes.

Your point about their speed is pin point. As a group this team is faster than last year. Each line shift in and shift out. 

Over time we've gotten used to having the Sedins on one line, not fast yet very efficient. 

Now each line is hungry. The call ups were in the right place last night, watching from the press box. Being reminded how fast things are up in the bigs and how cohesive the team that sent them down has become. They either fit or go.

37 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Hmmm...well  Gretzky played with and against the young stars of the late nineties to early 2010’s, and did so a few years before retirement in the dead puck era ... with clutching holding interference and a red line - yet was still a top 3-5 scorer at the time, beating all of them out.    Mario too.  

Not saying he’d score 200 - but would also don’t think his scoring would be much different either.    Removing the red line and the lack of obstruction would help him - bigger goaltenders doing the butterfly would not - but still what’s the percentage difference between .89 and .910 SP?   10-12 percent approx.   So instead maybe he’d have 2750 points.  If you didn’t watch these guys play I don’t think it’s right to compare eras - but it’s very easy to compare how guys did late in their careers against the next crop of stars - and in almost every case the best were still at or near the best against them.   Selanne, Jagr, Iginla, St Louis, Federov, Bure, Sakic, Yzerman, Bossy, Lafluer, Mario, Potvin, Coffey,  Borque...all these guys played against guys at the start of their careers that were ten year vet stars and the end of their careers that had up and coming stars too -it’s actually not that hard to compare under those circumstances IF you were there.

Yes the game is faster now - not like it wasn’t fast then either though.  Gartners time lasted forever - and it wasn’t started the same back then either (harder). 

One more thing about Gretzky - he was literally lapping most of the scoring leaders in his prime.   Doubling them.  Nobodies ever done that but him, it would be like, well McKinnon scoring 99 and EP scoring 198.  It was incredible back then and is still incredible today.

Agree Crosby and add Ovi as legends when they are gone too.   EP has a lot of time to prove he’s that good - if he gets over 100 this year it would be a heck of a start.

Gretzky, with modern equipment, training and rules would still be a 150-200 point guy.  He's was the most dominant athlete in an era of dominant athletes.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

He also had a guy keeping others at bay and giving him extra room.  If Petey had that...sky's the limit. 

I believe Petey will be that guy in this era if he stays healthy....and here's why (I agree with Wayne):

Gretzky on Petey:

McJesus and Leon agree. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gaudette Celly said:

From moneypuck.com:

image.thumb.png.f174db14ef01d2b32c87c407f1c52a86.png

Place your bets boys. 

Bet your house bet everything. It's happening 

Ps for legal reasons.. My Opinion is my opinion and that of my own views. To follow anything I say is by your discretion. The outcome of your dicision is your liability and I am free from all legal action. 

Thank you

MH

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The full game is being replayed right now on Sportsnet One, if you missed it or would like to watch it again.

The play where Sautner was injured just played again.

that was a late hit, no doubt.

dillon is a dirtbag.  Has taken liberties and plays on the fine line for years.   Would love to see someone crank that guy. 

Edited by Darius
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

Yeah but...Riddich and Gibson stole those games, Edmonton as a team stole one, and vs Washington the team is learning how to win (5-1 lead slipped away) lesson learned...since then, they've been keeping the foot on the gas when they have the lead in the turd....

same line of thinking...could say Blackwood stole one too vs NJ (1-0).

agree... good teams find ways to win games against hot goalies....I see Canucks having more potential to maintain their performance to date than the Oilers.

The goal differential and the fact that the numbers are players are putting up seem more sustainable than the numbers the Edmondump are putting up tell me what we're doing is more sustainable as well....the Oilers are gonna crash and burn at some point.

That said, we still need to prove it. I'm certainly willing the chalk the Washington loss up to a young team learning to win vs an experienced team that knows how to win. Hot goalies, experienced teams, teams playing unsustainable hockey. Sure, these things can be anomalies, but we still need to figure out ways to overcome them if we hope to sustain are winning ways. 

November will be much more telling of where this team actually stands than October was. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Darius said:

The play where Sautner was injured just played again.

that was a late hit, no doubt.

dillon is a dirtbag.  Has taken liberties and plays on the fine line for years.   Would love to see someone crank that guy. 

Dillon JUST was possibly going to be "looked at" for something else, wasn't he?

I thought this was a clean hit at first but, definitely, late.  And with a guy whose rep is starting to be one of those guys who dances on the edge, it needs attention.  He hurts people in preventable plays.  That's a problem.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Not to be a party pooper, but I'm still a bit worried about our ability to go up against the better teams in the league. Our record is awesome and the games are for the most part very enjoyable right now, but it needs to be mentioned that a lot of our wins are against bottomfeeders so far this year. We've feasted on the likes of Detroit, LA, San Jose and Philly, and the times we have gone up against better teams the results have been....mixed. Wins against Florida and St Louis, but losses against Edmonton, Calgary, Washington and Anaheim. We're really not going to know where we stand until we start facing playoff teams with more regularity. 

That said, if you're going to be a good team, you have to be able to feast on the lesser teams, and we're certainly doing that, which at the very least proves that we're a tier above where they are.  

you are saying Calgary and Anaheim are better teams, but when I look at the standings I see Canucks doing better than they are. and Washington barely beat us, some of these  "playoff teams" , to me sounds ridiculous, because not one team is a playoff team in the beginning of November. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2