The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at San Jose Sharks | Nov. 02, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I've seem the money puck posts ... they are based bets / odds meaning a lot of people are betting on the Canucks.  Remember a sports book's goal is to have 50% of the people/money bet on both sides, that way they are guaranteed to make money based on the Vig.  This is Dom's model from the Athletic it's updated daily.  The Canucks playoff odds were 24% at the beginning of the season.  Now they are 72%.  Look at how we killed the Sharks chances after last night's game.  The only reason the Canucks are not higher is based on Strength of Schedule the Canucks and Oilers had the 2 easiest schedules in October.  The Canucks schedule in November is much tougher starting with our game on Tuesday vs the Blues.  If the keep winning their play off odds will be over 90% soon.  I'll take it.  GCG :canucks:

image.png.175d84859631c5fa979c3aa55a3b34bf.png

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

He looked so ineffective to me last night...hardly knew he was playing (which can be a good thing, but really wasn't).

He also got away with holding a lot...like body hugging stuff that kind of shows desperation to me - really should have been called on one play behind the net...was SOOOO obvious.  Was one of my favourites, but is starting to wilt.  As these guys with experience (and bags full of money) age, the younger generation is taking over.  Have to earn those big bucks...can't coast on them Messier style.

I was very glad we didn't break the bank here and sign Karlsson, if he had wanted to come here.  To that kind of extended contract.  He was and is still on nights, a smart, efficient, elite D.  But he's 29, and is just starting an eight year contract.  And he already shows signs of decline.  I can see an eight year contract for someone like a Petey or Brock, at their ages, but IMO its a mistake to sign any older player for such a long term.  One or two years extra is fine, with the idea of being bought out, but what happens if EK turns into an LE after 3 or 4 years?  They'd only be half ways through the 8 years.  Yikes.  Look at the mess in Chicago with Seabrook.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Pretty sure he just won the master's last year, his first tournament entered this year, and tied Snead for most wins ever, all after having his fourth back surgery to finally fuse his spine, and well into his 40s. 

It's a great comeback story, for sure.  But, he did spend a decade + in the toilet.

16 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Game winning goals are overrated.  That's a very misleading stat.  Games already won and the losing team scores late.  Takes GWG from Petey and gives it to Virtanen.  

I'd like to see that stat changed to say game deciding goal or something.  As long as the game is never tied the 1st goal should get the game decider.  Sutter would get it last night.  The game was well in hand.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Ray Ferraro had something interesting to say about him while he covered the playoffs last year.  To paraphrase, EK is the kind of guy that lays into teammates if they make a mistake- just rips them.  Yet no one hounds him when he messes up.  Personally, I'm not a huge fan of those types of personalities on a team. You want to make sure I'm on point if I mistake then that's fine, but it sounds like EK has a tendency to go over board.  The Canucks seem to have a good room so probably a smart idea they stayed away

Yeah I'm not a fan of that some either. Most competitors are very aware when the mess up, and tend to be the hardest on themselves 

Edited by TheInsideScoop
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Based on what exactly?

1. Canucks are the tallest team in the league, and mid-pack weight-wise

2. Combination of youth and veterans

3. Combination of skill and grit, 2-way players

4. Character players throughout the lineup, including playoff performers and cup champion

5. Depth, both at forward and on defence

6. Two premier goaltenders

7. #3 in GF, #4 in GA

8. #2 FO, #9 PP, #3 PK

9. Can roll four lines without a drop-off in play

What are they lacking, or would need in order to be "built for the playoffs"?

Experience 

Injury luck

Prove to ourselves that we can go against the Vegas, Dallas, Nashville or st Louis ect...  Consistently 

3 hours ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Seem to be treating "Pettersson-Boeser" as a single entity.

No, no, it's listing Hughes as one thing helping the Canucks and the Boeser-Pettersson duo as another thing helping the Canucks. The only duo is Pettersson-Boeser, the word duo in the headline is not referring to Hughes.

Edited by MattJVD
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Cali Canuck said:

I've seem the money puck posts ... they are based bets / odds meaning a lot of people are betting on the Canucks.  Remember a sports book's goal is to have 50% of the people/money bet on both sides, that way they are guaranteed to make money based on the Vig.  This is Dom's model from the Athletic it's updated daily.  The Canucks playoff odds were 24% at the beginning of the season.  Now they are 72%.  Look at how we killed the Sharks chances after last night's game.  The only reason the Canucks are not higher is based on Strength of Schedule the Canucks and Oilers had the 2 easiest schedules in October.  The Canucks schedule in November is much tougher starting with our game on Tuesday vs the Blues.  If the keep winning their play off odds will be over 90% soon.  I'll take it.  GCG :canucks:

image.png.175d84859631c5fa979c3aa55a3b34bf.png

I wouldn't read too much into playoff odds right now. Pretty sure the blues at Christmas last year had a 2% chance of making the playoffs. 

5 hours ago, wesley said:

Canucks finally get some backhanded compliment from the NHL. :bigblush:

Capture.JPG

I wonder if any of those guys even watch the Canucks when you look at the teams they put ahead of them

I think these are much better power rankings https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-standings-power-rankings-gm-challenges-toronto-maple-leafs/   https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-standings-power-rankings-rookie-class-calder/

3 hours ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Based on what exactly?

1. Canucks are the tallest team in the league, and mid-pack weight-wise

2. Combination of youth and veterans

3. Combination of skill and grit, 2-way players

4. Character players throughout the lineup, including playoff performers and cup champion

5. Depth, both at forward and on defence

6. Two premier goaltenders

7. #3 in GF, #4 in GA

8. #2 FO, #9 PP, #3 PK

9. Can roll four lines without a drop-off in play

What are they lacking, or would need in order to be "built for the playoffs"?

Mostly our star players are still young and not man strength yet. Ovechkin et all. Crosby et all. St Louis last year. It takes man strength to complete a seven game series, move on to the next one and do it again. The team looks great and it's fun to watch. They will hopefully get some playoff experience this year. Our stars are still kids with kids bodies though. For now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

It's a great comeback story, for sure.  But, he did spend a decade + in the toilet.

Five years, basically. He won player of the year in 2013, came back five years later, won the tour championship, last year the master's, and already his first tourney of the year. 82 tour wins with 15 majors is insane in his era. No one has ever impacted their sport and been as dominant as The Goat. 

• Upvote 2

Can't say enough how awesome it is to have such strong characters on our team. Even though I loved our 2011 team, part of me was always annoyed at certain antics some of our guys would partake in. I've heard from a lot of fans of other teams that our team is really likable and hard working, which warms my cockles. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Brouhaha said:

Can't say enough how awesome it is to have such strong characters on our team. Even though I loved our 2011 team, part of me was always annoyed at certain antics some of our guys would partake in. I've heard from a lot of fans of other teams that our team is really likable and hard working, which warms my cockles. 

Flagging this. Might offend fans of other teams who don't have any cockles.

Edit: Warm or otherwise.

Edited by buddhahoodlum
Witty rejoinder
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm sorry, but this just reads as defensive because I'm calling into question the level of our competition thus far. An attempt to frame things in a way where anyone that questions whether our record and place in the standings is indicative of where the team actually stands is characterized as a 'hater' or 'troll', even when these 'trolls' are actually super stoked the team is doing well and only wants to bring to light a legitimate concern that they have. 

The fact is that we've feasted on Detroit twice in these first 14 games. Same with LA. Both of these teams were near the bottom of the league last season, and aren't projected to be any better this season. We creamed San Jose last night, which is great, but San Jose is the worst team in the conference so far this year. Florida has been a legit good team so far this year, but it also needs to be mentioned that we were catching them on a back-to-back. The Rangers have been pretty poor this year as well, and the Flyers are only slightly better and, on paper, aren't projected to do much this season. 

This isn't to put an asterisk next to our wins. Only to state the fact that we've had a pretty kushy schedule thus far. Yes, you still need to take advantage of those types of opportunities and pile up the points, which we've accomplished, but let's not go nuts and say that pummeling LA and Detroit are the same as beating Colorado or Nashville. That's just not the case, and anyone with a trace of intellectual honesty will admit as much. 

The FACT is we'll be facing much stiffer competition in November. No Detroits are LAs to feast on this time. That's why I say this month will be more telling than last month. We'll be up against some legitimate playoff contenders in the coming weeks, and we'll have a better idea of where we stand in comparison to some of the better teams in the league after facing them. 

Detroit and LA might be down teams but they still have good games (Howard did despite the goal count) - and you know they wanted to beat us badly the last one.   I agree with most of this, but the team deserves some credit - this year we are beating the teams we should be - and for the most part with complete authority - I’m not sure if we’ve been outshot once this year and for the most part it look like the ice is tilted one way.  

Definitely agree this month will be a much better litmus test.   Having all four lines contributing and very solid goaltending coming in should give us a big boost. 

• Cheers 1