The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Don Cherry Fired

Rate this topic

b3.

1 minute ago, peaches5 said:

This is your opinion. It's not infringing on anyone's rights to not wear a poppy either. It's also not a law or dress code. Freedom is freedom. When you start attacking a certain group of people on national TV about something a large percentage the younger generations are not doing you should expect some blowback. 

Exactly.  Don was angry at city dwelling younger (than him) people, who live a “milk and honey” existence because of the sacrifices by the veterans.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Exactly.  Don was angry at city dwelling younger (than him) people, who live a “milk and honey” existence because of the sacrifices by the veterans.  

Actually, he never referenced age. Instead he referenced "you people from over there" which is a clear reference to immigrants. But don't let facts change your narrative.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sbriggs said:

Not that it has no value, its just old, like you say. I think thats why they say "Out with the old, in with the new" and I'm 50 so i'm not no spring chicken

Maybe I’m trying too hard to hold on to what must change?  Ya, a can accept that.  

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Tystick said:

I agree but that is a big what if.

So everyone should would watch what they say because it might spark some radical idiots into a psychopathic violent outrage?

I don't want to live in a world like that. The majority of us are moral and good. I don't care about a handful of nutcases.

Hey, cheers to a nice thought but I've lived in both Canada and the U.S. and based on my time in the U.S. I do care about a handful of nutcases because they have a big impact. I can point to a number of violent incidences encouraged by the President's rhetoric including one white supremacist driving his car into a group of people and murdering a young woman. The impact is real.

Edited by awalk

Good riddance. No clue how that racist a hole lasted as long as he did. 

Don did not realize in this age of digital action he would be held accountable like never before 

immediately, and rightfully so, thousands went after Sportsnet, Rogers and Budweiser.

what I find discussing is that Coward MacLean sat there, nodded his head and then gave the thumbs up. MacLean should get the boot (again). He was complicit and therefore just as guilty as Don

the initial Sportsnet response/action of “we talked to Don” was pathetic and only increased the anger level out there and only then did Sportsnet do the right thing and fire him. They fired Zaun yet waited to see if they had to fire Don. 

get lost Don, don’t let the door hit you on the way out 

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

He was right and it's flat out embarrassing he got fired on this day.  Typical PC BS.  Problem is every one's a goddamn buttercup these days, whining about every dam thing as if anyone cares.  

Don you're a legend and a Canadian icon, don't ever forget that.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Fateless said:

Actually, he never referenced age. Instead he referenced "you people from over there" which is a clear reference to immigrants. But don't let facts change your narrative.

What fact?  You are divining what Don was thinking when he spoke.  He mentioned small towns and those people being respectful.  Then he mentioned city people not wearing poppies, but enjoying the “milk and honey” our county provides.  He said “you people”, which IMO meant us.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Fateless said:

But it doesn't matter if you think words should not have this much power over people. All you can control is yourself. If you know we live in a culture where words matter and words hurt people, then if the majority of people are good and understand that, then they should be content to be mindful of their words to avoid hurting people. And the "idiots" should understand that they're free to use words to hurt people, but that those people are going to lash out when they get hurt.

Exactly.

Just for context, the me 10 years ago would have been incredibly hurt by anyone attacking me with insults, whereas today, I just don't care.

There's almost a shield that you build up over time. Words are words, IMO. 

1 minute ago, canuck2288 said:

Good riddance. No clue how that racist a hole lasted as long as he did. 

Don did not realize in this age of digital action he would be held accountable like never before 

immediately, and rightfully so, thousands went after Sportsnet, Rogers and Budweiser.

what I find discussing is that Coward MacLean sat there, nodded his head and then gave the thumbs up. MacLean should get the boot (again). He was complicit and therefore just as guilty as Don

the initial Sportsnet response/action of “we talked to Don” was pathetic and only increased the anger level out there and only then did Sportsnet do the right thing and fire him. They fired Zaun yet waited to see if they had to fire Don. 

get lost Don, don’t let the door hit you on the way out 

Accountability, exactly. I said it earlier but he should have been ousted when he called guys like Stu Grimson "pukes"

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And out come the local SJWs with their grumpyfaced emojis.  Sure, you can divine what Don Cherry was thinking, but your divine powers don’t extend to what’s written?  

Someone prove what Don Cherry said was intended as racist.  Don’t use your divine powers, but use actual proof.  Non of you can, because Don Cherry didn’t say anything racist.  He was talking to all of us who live a “milk and honey” existence in the big cities.  

you may be right Alf, but a public figure with a large viewership needs to choose his words a bit more carefully.. that's the lesson.. right or wrong, that's the world we live in, and if Don doesn't like it, well here's the public (and ultimately his employer's) response to his attitude towards the cultural climate of the day..

my dad says stuff like that all the time, and he's a decent man who swears up & down he's not a racist, but that's just the lingering cultural aftertaste of the world he grew up in.. and I'm sure that 99% of  people are no better, we all have said things that were misunderstood or that we straight up regret.. but let's not forget that the words from our mouths ultimately reflect the attitudes buried in our heart.. 

I'm not saying Don is right or wrong, and I admire those that have the courage to speak up for what's right, especially those whose life is set up in such a way that they don't really need to.. but at the end of the day, you can't say stuff like that on prime time tv, end of story..

maybe he should move to a podcast or something where his views wouldn't be so scrutinized.. could be very popular

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, awalk said:

Hey, cheers to a nice thought but I've lived in both Canada and the U.S. and based on my time in the U.S. I do care about a handful of nutcases because they have a big impact. I can point to a number of violent incidences encouraged by the President's rhetoric including one white supremacist driving his car into a group of people and murdering a young woman. The impact is real.

I don't want to get off topic and go down another discussion, but I respect your view.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, awalk said:

Proof?

You provide proof fir your divine opinion.  There is no proof, because we are all only expressing our opinion on what what Don was thinking.  He refused to apologize.  Do you think that’s because in his mind he said nothing racist?  

• Cheers 1