The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time for creativity - Move Miller to Center

Rate this topic

DownUndaCanuck

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think in order for Pettersson and Boeser to really shine, they should have a winger with them who can go hard in the corners to battle for pucks, stand in front, keep opponents' heads on swivels. Right now , it looks like Petey and Boes are having to play a heavier game, and I worry about possible injury to one of them, or both. Miller has been very good, and he also plays a real gritty game, but he's almost been injured as well (against NSH). Maybe he's best wit Bo. I kind of wish they would put Gaudette or MacEwen with Pettersson and Boeser. I know Green wouldn't do that, but I'd be curious to see if the elite guys would have a bit more time and space, and be able to make more plays

We can’t be playing fringe NHLers with our top line.  MacEwen is a fourth line replacement - not a top six NHLer.   Miller does enough of the things he does anyways - and id argue more (having watched him play AHL games), maybe when Ferland is back TG will try that again but it didn’t get any traction - and he’s a lot more proven then Mac is.   Miller on the top line makes the most sense to me - and as far as being physical goes it’s a lot better to be on the giving then the receiving end of things and with Miller on their line I’ve seen way more of that which is more sustainable IMO.   I love that EP is throwing hits.  I’d rather him do that then run around avoiding them.    Too bad we have so many guys out at this point as Miller EP Boeser is a pretty complete line and he’s injected some bad ass to it that elevates it. 

3 hours ago, Provost said:

You premise is completely flawed.

We were struggling before Sutter went out.  We are 1-1 with him out of the lineup (including the game where he got hurt when he just played a couple shifts) which is a lot better than we were the several games prior to his injury when we lost 4 in a row.

So, it doesn't seem like the Sutter injury is at the heart of our recent woes at all.

I am not against trying Miller as the 3rd line centre for a while, but that may also affect our ability to score by removing him and not having any top six wingers who have been effective as of yet up there.  We just have to rely on our solid defensive corps and our great goaltending to help us win games, rather than trying to use all our forwards to lock down the game and hopefully eke out a 1-0 win because we aren't trying to score.

Even during our “losing streak” we didn’t get blown out and did a decent job of carrying the play.   A lot of blocked shots against us during that span plus shots on net.  I agree right now goaltending is more important - this is when we need a couple wins when we are not at our best.   The nice thing is we our depth isn’t bad at all - at it could also carry us until guys come back.  And we have EP and Demko.  Time to see what we really have in this guy he was great against NSH.

• Upvote 1

Put Miller back with Pettersson & Boeser. Give those guys a chance to figure it out.

Gotta remember its a young team that's learning how to win. I think back to grinding games like those with the Sedins (in there prime), often times it was the PP that would make the difference in a game like that.

The PP needs to be more consistent, but its a still a young group that's gelling. Quinn Hughes pretty much runs the PP & he's only 20ish game into his career, so. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

As a manager it’s also your responsibility to be able to identify talent and push them - get them out of their comfort zone - to be more productive.  JB did exactly that with EP - because he was certain he was capable of it and so far it’s all roses.   He’s gone from the low 40’s to the high 40’s over the course of a year.  See my post above.  JB was aware that this guy is completely self taught - the same way Lafluer given where they came from and no skill coaches, extra help was available to them - just all the ice time they wanted to work on things by themselves.   This kid is probably brilliant.   With Beagle, Sutter and Maholtra in the system he’s got help too if he needs it.   He’s still working hard on his craft - putting him on the wing would be a gigantic waste - unless we get a star center I guess - nothing in the system and no UFAs coming up - plus it doesn’t work with our cap plan anyways. 

Agreed. My general point was more.... Coaches/Bosses should always identify strengths and weaknesses, and put more emphasis on empowering strengths than fixing weakness.

2 hours ago, the grinder said:

so your saying a manager from say mc donalds can run a team better  than coach green   lol 

My comment wasn't in response to Green, it was in response to another comment which basically said Petterson needs to focus and be better at faceoffs.  i didn't say I'm a better coach than Green, and I definitely dont work at MacDonalds.... not that there's anything wrong with that. A job is a job smart guy

• Cheers 1

Just now, JayDangles said:

Agreed. My general point was more.... Coaches/Bosses should always identify strengths and weaknesses, and put more emphasis on empowering strengths than fixing weakness.

My comment wasn't in response to Green, it was in response to another comment which basically said Petterson needs to focus and be better at faceoffs.  i didn't say I'm a better coach than Green, and I definitely dont work at MacDonalds.... not that there's anything wrong with that. A job is a job smart guy

I’m pretty stoked EP is a bona fide first line center, it’s been a while since H Sedin was and before him Morrisson (ok before anyone that grew up watching that team gives me frowny faces I can guarantee anyone older was always wanting more and felt Naslund and Bertuzzi carried him to a certain degree) - we haven’t had many in our entire history.   Kesler was actually one of our better ones and he played second fiddle.   Dare I say he was in his prime at the same level as Linden was in his.  

So I have absolutely nothing to complain about him (EP) he’s got the same raw talent that Bure and Mogilny had - and nothing against the Sedins but we had to wait a long time for their three PPG seasons and they were after the lock-out  (Bure and Mogilny went to war literally and still did great things- the latter should be in the HHOF IMO).  

EP looks to be the second best player we’ve ever had - possibly the first if he progresses - and I love that he’s initiating contact and not shying away from it so much this year.   

• Cheers 2

It sure is nice to hear some praise from other NHLers and media etc. about how good Pettersson and Hughes are. Horvat as well, I've heard good things. Surprisingly, I don't hear much about Boeser's impact, but that's okay too.  It gives us hope anyway, the future is bright. This isn't the Cup winning team yet, and maybe not even the playoff roster, but there are also some really good support players on the team. I have high hopes for Virtanen and Gaudette to be key playoff performers down the road. Also really like Miller, Beagle, Roussel, Motte and even Schaller. I'm not certain about Pearson and Leivo, but I think they provide decent offence and seem like good team guys. Ferland, I worry about him. Have a feeling the goalie tandem to bring us to the promiseland will be Demko and Silovs.

Edited by NUCKER67

Given Horvat's struggles I really think we should give him Miller and Pearson and give that line a chance to rekindle the pre-season chemistry. Pettersson and Boeser will find a way to produce regardless of line mates. Leivo's lacked finish but hasn't looked out of place in his brief stint.

Leivo - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Miller

Baertschi - Gaudette - Virtanen

Eriksson - Graovac - Schaller

14 hours ago, BrockBoester said:

Miller centering Pearson and Schaller?

Yeah, that's some deadly offense right there!

To be followed by Gaudette having to carry some on ice furniture in Erikkson and an up and coming depth player MacEwen.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I wan a bash brothers 4th line just to go out and make a statement every once in awhile.

Schallr Graovac MacEwan

Show of force line

MACeWEN HAS 102/90/75 pim SEASONS IN HIS PAST, Graovac had a career high 37 Mins last year. Grao might not be the player you think he is.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, lmm said:

MACeWEN HAS 102/90/75 pim SEASONS IN HIS PAST, Graovac had a career high 37 Mins last year. Grao might not be the player you think he is.

Don't know a lot of him but looked good in training camp. Bailey might be my other choice to make my Bash Brothers line

But they brought Graovac for a reason so him for now.

41 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

did I say you work at mcdonalds  ?  A manager is a manger in any field of work but, this is the nhl  , this is performance based business  . if you don't do your job  and don't work on your deficiencies in your game , it is next player up . this is why you always hear players need to work on their game . If you don't work on the weaknesses you are not going to  get better .  if a coach put a emphasis on a players strength , well you would have a terrible team , you would have a guy like Virtanen just skating down the wing and firing the puck at the goalie because that what jake was good at , Now look at jake  since he has worked on his game he is much more complete player.

green does play to a players strengths   , beagle and schaller  you don't see green putting those 2 on the powerplay , baer has been put on 2nd or 3rd line since he has been back  , sutter a good 3rd line center  , the top 6 has been moved around a bit  since we have been short 2 centers and 3 forwards , so now players are gonna have to adapt , good thing they worked on their weaknesses   

a job is a job and the nhl is well it is the nhl   it is a sport not a job smart guy 

16 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

We're clearly struggling with Sutter and Beagle out. As much as we all want Sutter traded, he's a cornerstone of this team and gives us 4 solid two way centers. Without both our bottom 2 guys Bo is overworked and the top two lines are much easier to matchup.

When we traded the 1st for Miller we got a very versatile center. The man can play anywhere in the lineup so let's use him. Boeser and Pettersson are in their groove now so let's slot Miller in at center, he can still play 1st line PP minutes and still rack up 18-20 mins a game.

Boeser - Pettersson - Leivo(Goldobin?)

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen

Pearson - Miller - Schaller

Eriksson - Gaudette - MacEwan

Never break a winning formula is my saying. Id NEVER put Miller down since he and petey and brock work so well together. 

Miller-Petey-Brock

Baer-Bo-Jake

Pearson-Gaud-Leivo

Eriksson-Schaller-Macewen

that would be my choice. Use Bos line for more 0-0 plays and pk. gaud can be used more as offense. Schaller can play C and hold a 0-0 line. The edge Miller gives to the 1st line is way too precious....and needed.