The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roussel - Cap Crunch - Benning (Discussion)

29 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats true but there's more roster players than spots once everyone is healthy, so do you keep Motte or Loui? 

Well thats easy you definitely do not keep Loui, I know the savings is not great if sent down but I am convinced that he'll retire, opt out rather then riding the bus. Sooner then later would be preferred

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Well thats easy you definitely do not keep Loui, I know the savings is not great if sent down but I am convinced that he'll retire, opt out rather then riding the bus. Sooner then later would be preferred

yeah its for the best. I'm not in the camp that thinks he's dogging it, sad thing is I really think this is the best he's got now. 

• Upvote 1

Roussel is on LTIR so close to no cap space is banked.  They will need to be a full 3M under the cap to activate him.  

Cap space is also pro-rated to the rest of the season.  If the team has always operated at the cap - half-way through the season the cap is no longer 81.5M but half of 81.5M.  Either you pro-rate everyone including Roussel and the maximum cap or you look at the situation in full cap hits.  It's easier the latter.  

There are two types of conditioning stints.

- A normal conditioning stint like Fantenberg's. The player is on the 23 player active roster and still counts against the cap.  Limited to 14 days.

- A player on LTIR going on a conditioning assignment to determine whether he can return to play.  He's not considered an active player.  With LTIR in use the team can still exceed the cap.  It's limited to 6 days / 3 games.  The team can file a request to exceed that limit by an additional 2 games if they feel they need more time to assess a player's fitness to play. 

Players on IR count against the cap.  The Canucks were cap compliant to start the season with Roussel on IR and counting against the cap - 23 active players + Roussel on IR whose cap hit was accounted for.  They had to put him on LTIR to be able to create the necessary cap space to recall players due to injury.  

Borvat's illustration above shows how the team can be cap compliant and still have some room compared to the start of the season - with Roussel on IR they had 24 players counting against the cap and not just 23 healthy players.

The challenge will be in case of injuries as players on IR still count against the cap.  If they don't move someone out and have no one going on LTIR they might have to invoke emergency cap relief.  If they only have 17 healthy skaters (without goalies) teams are allowed to recall a player after playing one game short-handed - the cap hit of that emergency player cannot exceed 800K this season.  

With so little cap space and unless there's a trade the performance bonuses are likely to carry over to next season.

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

any big decisions depend on Sutter, if he gets put on LTIR for a couple of weeks then there's no issue until he's back. Same with Ferland. I think some retroavtive LTIR moves are possible to make space for Rous. 

But assuming they are healthy, yeah at that point someone(s) have to go. 

Sutter is expected to join the team on the road trip to practice with them.   

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Borvat said:

Depends if they make them.  The luongo/Eriksson effect are crippling $9 Million.

just no

that word has already been used to describe the effect of our coaching

(specifically the stifling effect it is having on ep40)

it is a silly word to use outside of describing health issues

and the combination you note is actually a forced savings plan for the team

so they will have enough cap space set aside and available for when ep40/hughes need to be signed

it's not a bad thing at all

the current nuck cap situation is relatively ok

any adjustments required when injured players come back can be easily accommodated

others have posted about this

the nucks salary issues are easily manageable

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

I appreciate the effort in your post Jan, but I am sure the Canucks have cap crunch geeks who are way ahead of this.  

They probably use cap friendly.

13 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

just no

that word has already been used to describe the effect of our coaching

(specifically the stifling effect it is having on ep40)

it is a silly word to use outside of describing health issues

and the combination you note is actually a forced savings plan for the team

so they will have enough cap space set aside and available for when ep40/hughes need to be signed

it's not a bad thing at all

the current nuck cap situation is relatively ok

any adjustments required when injured players come back can be easily accommodated

others have posted about this

the nucks salary issues are easily manageable

Sure they are, they have to send Baerstchi and another player down to the minors, last time they sent Gaudette and Sven so this time there will be a few extra going.

Mac, Grav, Sven, Fant.

They were over the cap just before the season started counting Roussel's LTIR so they will be an adjustment needed.

• Haha 1

Just now, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Sure they are, they have to send Baerstchi and another player down to the minors, last time they sent Gaudette and Sven so this time there will be a few extra going.

Mac, Grav, Sven, Fant.

They were over the cap just before the season started counting Roussel's LTIR so they will be an adjustment needed.

so there is nothing wrong with that outcome

jb has all these issues well in hand

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats true but there's more roster players than spots once everyone is healthy, so do you keep Motte or Loui? 

Motte and schaller as my spares. LE in Utica. One other player (Baer or Leivo) traded hopefully 

Miller - Petey - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Virtanen

Baertschi/Leivo - Gaudette - Ferland

Roussell - Beagle - Sutter

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

Motte and schaller as my spares. LE in Utica. One other player (Baer or Leivo) traded hopefully 

Miller - Petey - Boeser

I like that, but I'm real curious about Roussel with AG. 

1 hour ago, mll said:

Sutter is expected to join the team on the road trip to practice with them.   

2 hours ago, mll said:

The challenge will be in case of injuries as players on IR still count against the cap.  If they don't move someone out and have no one going on LTIR they might have to invoke emergency cap relief.  If they only have 17 healthy skaters (without goalies) teams are allowed to recall a player after playing one game short-handed - the cap hit of that emergency player cannot exceed 800K this season.  

With so little cap space and unless there's a trade the performance bonuses are likely to carry over to next season.

Barring a trade, i think we're going to have to see both Loui and Baer waived as in @Borvat's example. And I think you are correct, we might very well see some overage hits to next years cap due to bonus money. Not ideal, but maybe waiving Leivo as well might take care of much of that. 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I like that, but I'm real curious about Roussel with AG. 

Imo Roussell could play on any line, except maybe with Petey and brock. 

he’s probably our most versatile player. He also can take face offs on the PK which means he can cover for beagle or Sutter if needed. Very valuable

54 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

gaud does not need to clear waivers

not sure why you feel the need to stress so much over the nucks

relax, enjoy the vancouver team

He will be waiver eligible once he plays 80 games.  He's at 72 so 7 games left - once he plays that 8th game his waiver eligibility kicks in.  1 December is game 7 if he plays the 6 games on the road trip.  

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

Imo Roussell could play on any line, except maybe with Petey and brock. 

he’s probably our most versatile player. He also can take face offs on the PK which means he can cover for beagle or Sutter if needed. Very valuable

yup he's a gem. The reason I'm curious to see him with AG is I  think Roussel's aggressive style would suit AG really well, he's looking to be very much a high energy player at times, so I'd be curious what kind of line pair they could become. 

1 hour ago, The_Rocket said:

Miller - Petey - Boeser

I would probably like this better...…….

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Roussel - Gaudette - Ferland           Third line is tenacious 

Schaller - Beagle  - Sutter                Forth line is very defensive 

or

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Roussel - Gaudette - Sutter               Third line better all round

Schaller - Beagle  - Ferland               Forth line a more offensive

with Leivo and Motte ready to go in

No room for Baertschi when we are all healthy...…..sorry!

Baer, Eriksson, one of either Schaller or Leivo. All to the minors. 

I know Tanev, people would want a decent return. But how decent of a return for a guy who plays 40-60 games a year? 

Right now they need cap space. 

A prospect and a pick for Tanev. 

Take the gamble that Fantenberg or Rafferty can handle it.