The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andrew Scheer stepping down as Conservative Party leader/Which has morphed into the Gun Control thread

Mackcanuck

4 hours ago, StealthNuck said:

Surprise surprise, he's corrupt.

Turns out, it's not corruption.  The CPC poobahs approved the expense.  It's not uncommon for a political party to supply perks for its leader.

The real problem here is that Scheer was trying to paint himself as an average Joe and Trudeau as one of the privileged elite all while having the party pay (at least a portion) of his kids' private school tuition AND not revealing it to the grass roots.  Add on top of that the fact Scheer had almost zero support to stay on as leader but was desperately trying to do so, this was really just something that was held in reserve to push him off the cliff.

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Lol do you honestly believe that? Why the hell would the party support that? Them losing money hurts them all there is no benefit to give money for the whole team to one person. I understand your schtick but this makes no sense.

Believe it or not, there's actually apparent evidence that higher ups in the party knew about this and signed off on it as per the story and it is being investigated internally.  Dustin Van Vugt is #1 in the crosshairs as of right now over it

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I heard this. Either way at least he is gone. I would say O'toole is a good permanent replacement, veteran and from Ontario.

Is anything such thing as 'permanent' in politics?  Party Leaders are like NHL GMs.  They get to keep their jobs as long as they are winning.

9 minutes ago, Pears said:

Unfortunately there’s still a few groups scattered across the province thinking Western Canada can/should seperate. 

well, if it takes a seat away from the CPC for a few years then its not all bad. 

TMX is all but a done deal. They're going to approve that monstrosity of an open pit mine too in N.AB. That will fizzle #dumbBrexit 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well, if it takes a seat away from the CPC for a few years then its not all bad. 

TMX is all but a done deal. They're going to approve that monstrosity of an open pit mine too in N.AB. That will fizzle #dumbBrexit 

I think the open pit mine gets done too

But someone sure doesn't and he's putting the blame in an interesting place

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/athabasca-oilsands-teck-frontier-mine-climate-jason-kenney-1.5391479

26 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well, yeah maybe he'd be a good interim. Usually they want those guys to agree not to run in the next leadership race and he probably wouldn't.

Man what a dud Scheer turned out to be. Secret American. Cheating his party on his kids tuition. Intolerant to the end. Good riddance. 

Exactly. 

23 minutes ago, Dekey Pete said:

You don't believe it?  Never heard of the boss using the company assets for his/her own personal purposes?  It probably happens a lot more than you'd think, and I'd bet it's not just isolated to the conservative party.

I don't believe everyone knew about it.

20 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

is that still a thing? 

PD says he will run candidates in every riding 

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Believe it or not, there's actually apparent evidence that higher ups in the party knew about this and signed off on it as per the story and it is being investigated internally.  Dustin Van Vugt is #1 in the crosshairs as of right now over it

Oh maybe a few high ups not everyone. 

9 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Is anything such thing as 'permanent' in politics?  Party Leaders are like NHL GMs.  They get to keep their jobs as long as they are winning.

I meant not interim  rather win the leadership. 

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Oh maybe a few high ups not everyone. 

Never said everyone.  Just agreed that there's little to no way someone has access to party funds and somehow someway manages to spend them outside of party measures without someone knowing.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I think the open pit mine gets done too

But someone sure doesn't and he's putting the blame in an interesting place

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/athabasca-oilsands-teck-frontier-mine-climate-jason-kenney-1.5391479

yeah I saw that. Kenney pulling a Harper with that move. And much like Harper, the project will happen despite him. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah I saw that. Kenney pulling a Harper with that move. And much like Harper, the project will happen despite him. 

It certainly looks like an "in spite of" not due too

It's actually remarkable, when you look at the major projects proposed and how/why they were cancelled.  it sincerely seems like the Conservatives at the federal and partyly; provincial levels are intent on shooting themselves in the foot by not following basic procedure.

more projects cancelled or pulled simply because it was not done by the rules the first time around.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Warhippy said:

It certainly looks like an "in spite of" not due too

It's actually remarkable, when you look at the major projects proposed and how/why they were cancelled.  it sincerely seems like the Conservatives at the federal and partyly; provincial levels are intent on shooting themselves in the foot by not following basic procedure.

more projects cancelled or pulled simply because it was not done by the rules the first time around.

its why Suncor's CEO openly asked the Harper gov't to step away from the oil sands file, they don't know wtf they're doing. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its why Suncor's CEO openly asked the Harper gov't to step away from the oil sands file, they don't know wtf they're doing. 

The Mackenzie pipeline is s HUGE example of that.  Rushed approval, pulled various agencies off of the file in order to get approval and then slapped with dozens of environmental and liable court cases because there was no due process done or rules followed...

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Stuff like this happens all the time. Politicians will use their campaign/tax payers money to fund other crap like vacations, kids schooling, their etc. Some even use tax payers money to fund their election campaigns. 

I hate seeing it but it exists. Either way I am glad Scheer is out as a conservative voter. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Wow 18 million female Canadians just started to celebrate not losing their reproductive  rights . / control of their own bodies ...........

ImaginaryEnlightenedAzurevase-max-1mb.gi

Not sure anyone could regulate that on a federal level. 

That said abortions shouldn’t be use as a method of birth control imo. Condoms and pills are readily available. That part I agree with the anti-abortion crowd. To come to a conclusion that would appease both sides and finally end this argument seems downright impossible. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Not sure anyone could regulate that on a federal level. 

That said abortions shouldn’t be use as a method of birth control imo. Condoms and pills are readily available. That part I agree with the anti-abortion crowd. To come to a conclusion that would appease both sides and finally end this argument seems downright impossible. 

We have already come to a conclusion .  It is our current laws / regulations that are currently in place.

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Lol do you honestly believe that? Why the hell would the party support that? Them losing money hurts them all there is no benefit to give money for the whole team to one person. I understand your schtick but this makes no sense.

As Goalie notes below, this was likely a case of some higher ups in the party giving him rope to hang himself with should they feel the need to have him hung. Among his many other idiotic moves, he was simply stupid enough to accept it.

52 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Turns out, it's not corruption.  The CPC poobahs approved the expense.  It's not uncommon for a political party to supply perks for its leader.

The real problem here is that Scheer was trying to paint himself as an average Joe and Trudeau as one of the privileged elite all while having the party pay (at least a portion) of his kids' private school tuition AND not revealing it to the grass roots.  Add on top of that the fact Scheer had almost zero support to stay on as leader but was desperately trying to do so, this was really just something that was held in reserve to push him off the cliff.

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

As Goalie notes below, this was likely a case of some higher ups in the party giving him rope to hang himself with should they feel the need to have him hung. Among his many other idiotic moves, he was simply stupid enough to accept it.

What makes this even more hilarious is that he didn’t use some of his own $172K that he makes each year :lol: