The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Kovalchuk signs with Montreal

41 minutes ago, Monty said:

:huh:

At no point did I say the Canucks should trade for him or sign him.

Then why post Kovi has no character flaws, that could damage the current chemistry we have?  Why defend this player, on our board, when clearly he’s not worth a second, and clearly he’s not a player we need, or would ever want? 

34 minutes ago, Monty said:

Gotta love TSN and their top notch crew of “Insiders”, especially over people that have actually worked with him:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.dailynews.com/2018/12/05/ilya-kovalchuks-work-ethic-character-get-rave-reviews-from-kings-coach-willie-desjardins/amp/

And what’s the coach going to say?  Again Monty you are on our board.  Why defend, and clearly in a biased manner, a player who would hurt us?  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Then why post Kovi has no character flaws...

I didn’t say that, either. Nice try.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why defend this player...

Because I can. Just like you can put words in my mouth that I never said.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

and clearly in a biased

Posting facts, rather than your thoughts, is now considered bias? Ok :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And what’s the coach going to say?

So now, without any evidence, you’re suggesting his coach was lying? That must mean that when Willie Desjardins was here, as any coach is currently in the NHL, anything coming out of their mouths regarding their players is a lie?

Bringing your “A” game today, I see.

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And what’s the coach going to say?  Again Monty you are on our board.  Why defend, and clearly in a biased manner, a player who would hurt us?  

wasn't that right before Willlie put him on the 4th line :lol: Kovy is what he is, a less effective Vanek. What cracks me up is the number of people who think this was a genius move by Bergevin. Deck chairs, titanic, etc. If this is all Bergevin can come up with he needs to be fired yesterday. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Monty said:

I didn’t say that, either. Nice try.

Because I can. Just like you can put words in my mouth that I never said.

Posting facts, rather than your thoughts, is now considered bias? Ok :rolleyes:

So now, without any evidence, you’re suggesting his coach was lying? That must mean that when Willie Desjardins was here, as any coach is currently in the NHL, anything coming out of their mouths regarding their players is a lie?

Bringing your “A” game today, I see.

Monty, you live in Winnipeg, and hate us.  Are you trying to bait me (a Canuck’s fan) on my own board? 

You used a quote from Kovi’s coach as support.  Later on Willie D benched Kovi for the player’s lack of commitment.

another poster posts facts about Kovi’s lack of character, and you refute that.  No way in world is Kovi worth a second, and no way will JB bring Kovi, and his obvious character issues, into our room.  

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

if he was such an asset, why wouldn't LA just keep him? they're paying for him anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

wasn't that right before Willlie put him on the 4th line :lol: Kovy is what he is, a less effective Vanek. What cracks me up is the number of people who think this was a genius move by Bergevin. Deck chairs, titanic, etc. If this is all Bergevin can come up with he needs to be fired yesterday. 

You know how there is a motto for CDC, “we are all Canucks”?  When posters defend the concept to trade away part of our future for a guy like Kovi, I wonder if that motto pertains to all of us? 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if he was such an asset, why wouldn't LA just keep him? they're paying for him anyway. 

Especially while the Kings are rebuilding.  Why not keep such a great character guy?  The Habs have young guys too.  Kovi could help lead their young guys, right?  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Alflives said:

You know how there is a motto for CDC, “we are all Canucks”?  When posters defend the concept to trade away part of our future for a guy like Kovi, I wonder if that motto pertains to all of us? 

no it just means they don't appreciate the value of our assets. 

I'm not down on Kovy, just see it as a desperation move by a GM thats run his team into the ground. Now we even get revisionist history that oh on, the plan all along was for Montreal to develop its young guys? if thats true the Weber deal makes no sense whatsoever. 

• Like 1

Especially while the Kings are rebuilding.  Why not keep such a great character guy?  The Habs have young guys too.  Kovi could help lead their young guys, right?  

I don't think there's any evidence he's a problem, and he might be a great guy to have around, I have no idea. All I know isLA is paying  6.25 mil this year and next to have him gone, and they didn't get anything in return. And now Bergevin is trying to get a pick for him :lol:  the leash the Habs get on CDC is funny. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Haha 1

Just now, Alflives said:

No way in world is Kovi worth a second, and no way will JB bring Kovi, and his obvious character issues, into our room.  

:lol:  And again, at no point did I ever suggest that the Canucks should trade for him. Bang up job.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

another poster posts facts

Posting a TSN scouting breakdown that he’s “sometimes moody” doesn’t refute what I posted, which was that he “works hard in practice” and that “teammates like him”. 

Monty, you live in Winnipeg, and hate us.

Since when? I’ve been on here just as long as you have, when I lived in Vancouver. Genius.

Are you trying to bait me

No, you do a fine enough job working yourself up and baiting yourself into a one man argument.

When posters defend the concept to trade away part of our future for a guy like Kovi

And just so I can help your brain out and assist with reading comprehension, and repeat myself for a 3rd time (as it seems you outright neglect to read), I never said at any point the Canucks, or any team, should trade for Kovalchuk right now.

Cue: “Can’t believe you’re suggesting we give up assets for Kovi.

1 minute ago, Monty said:

:lol:  And again, at no point did I ever suggest that the Canucks should trade for him. Bang up job.

Posting a TSN scouting breakdown that he’s “sometimes moody” doesn’t refute what I posted, which was that he “works hard in practice” and that “teammates like him”. 

Since when? I’ve been on here just as long as you have, when I lived in Vancouver. Genius.

No, you do a fine enough job working yourself up and baiting yourself into a one man argument.

And just so I can help your brain out and assist with reading comprehension, and repeat myself for a 3rd time (as it seems you outright neglect to read), I never said at any point the Canucks, or any team, should trade for Kovalchuk right now.

Cue: “Can’t believe you’re suggesting we give up assets for Kovi.

So now my reading comprehension is in question?  

Okay, I agree I’m getting worked up,  so I will leave the thread.  

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Gotta love TSN and their top notch crew of “Insiders”, especially over people that have actually worked with him:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.dailynews.com/2018/12/05/ilya-kovalchuks-work-ethic-character-get-rave-reviews-from-kings-coach-willie-desjardins/amp/

59 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Exactly.  What else is the coach gonna say?  "Oh him?  Yeah no, he has mood swings and causes issues, but we'll take him."

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He doesn't get it Alf.  Don't bother.  Like you said, teams keep true character guys to help groom the young players coming in.  They don't dump them.

Working hard and being a good teammate are two completely different things.  If Kovalchuk was such a good leader in the dressing room, and such a good guy to have around, he'd still be on LA.  Now Montreal is trying to get rid of him too lol

Edited by HKSR
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Exactly.  What else is the coach gonna say?  "Oh him?  Yeah no, he has mood swings and causes issues, but we'll take him."

The coach, many times, can say “Nothing”. Many, many times, coaches don’t say anything about a player. Doesn’t mean they are good or bad, just they don’t have anything glowing to say. This is not abnormal not only in sports, but just in everyday working life. If an employee just does the expected amount, then they aren’t given a glowing review, just nothing that sets them apart.

In the NHL, if a player goes above and beyond what is normally thought of said individual, the a coach saying anything positive is seen as a good thing. That’s why there are “character” players that have more said above “non character” players, who can still be great additions to a team, despite not being great character players (ie: Brad Marchand). Not a great character player, but he’s effective and needed to his team.

In Kovalchuk’s case, obviously he works very hard in practice and in the off-season, and is a good role model to his teammates.

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

If Kovalchuk was such a good leader in the dressing room, and such a good guy to have around, he'd still be on LA. 

Not necessarily. For one, LA had far, far too much tied up in salary into Kovalchuk. That contract was bad from day 1. In fact, handing out bad salaries has been LA’s M.O. for quite some time.

Secondly, he wasn’t being deployed to the best of his abilities, in a way that makes him more effective to a team. As we’ve already seen, as bad as the Habs have been. In fact, his Corsi% in LA over the last two years was sub 50%. With the Habs, who again, are quite bad, when deploying him in the right way, he currently is sporting a 57.8%. 

Now again, as I’ve stated the entire time, I’m not saying the Canucks or any team should trade for him. 

12 minutes ago, Monty said:

The coach, many times, can say “Nothing”. Many, many times, coaches don’t say anything about a player. Doesn’t mean they are good or bad, just they don’t have anything glowing to say. This is not abnormal not only in sports, but just in everyday working life. If an employee just does the expected amount, then they aren’t given a glowing review, just nothing that sets them apart.

In the NHL, if a player goes above and beyond what is normally thought of said individual, the a coach saying anything positive is seen as a good thing. That’s why there are “character” players that have more said above “non character” players, who can still be great additions to a team, despite not being great character players (ie: Brad Marchand). Not a great character player, but he’s effective and needed to his team.

In Kovalchuk’s case, obviously he works very hard in practice and in the off-season, and is a good role model to his teammates.

Not necessarily. For one, LA had far, far too much tied up in salary into Kovalchuk. That contract was bad from day 1. In fact, handing out bad salaries has been LA’s M.O. for quite some time.

Secondly, he wasn’t being deployed to the best of his abilities, in a way that makes him more effective to a team. As we’ve already seen, as bad as the Habs have been. In fact, his Corsi% in LA over the last two years was sub 50%. With the Habs, who again, are quite bad, when deploying him in the right way, he currently is sporting a 57.8%. 

Now again, as I’ve stated the entire time, I’m not saying the Canucks or any team should trade for him. 

When exactly was the last time a coach was asked to comment on a player on his team and said "nothing"??  Funny you mention Marchand as Cassidy responded with positive comments about Brad Marchand when asked last season.  Does that make Marchand a character guy too since he had more than just 'nothing' to say about him?

A player (or person for that matter) can work hard, but not be a great person to be around.  I've known lots of people to be hard workers, but I'd want nothing to do with them, nor would I ever look up to them as a role model.

Nowhere have I stated that Kovy isn't an effective player.  I'm just saying his potential character issues is what probably kept MOST GMs away from signing him... and for league minimum! 

Just now, HKSR said:

When exactly was the last time a coach was asked to comment on a player on his team and said "nothing"??

:lol: Sorry, not that their answer would be "Nothing". That they could essentially choose to say nothing, or the hockey equivalent which is "He's got a great shot and will help out on our powerplay, as well as get our offense going." That would be the safe and expected answer of a player like Kovalchuk. But to highlight specifically his work ethic and that he'll be good for the young guys on the team, that's certainly not expected.

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'm just saying his potential character issues is what probably kept MOST GMs away from signing him... and for league minimum! 

That's fair. However, we'll never truly know how many teams were interested in him. Kovalchuk himself said that he took his time to decide which team he was going to go to, and that money wasn't something he was focused on, but that it was the right fit. Now, that could mean 2 teams were interested, that could mean 5 teams were. Obviously we'll never know. But fit for some of those teams was certainly the main thing. For instance, I remember hearing people say that the Flames, Leafs, and Jets should look into it, and immediately, everyone thought "Why? He's going to be buried in 3rd or 4th line duty on any of those clubs. That makes no sense for him and the team." I sense that's why he chose Montreal. Really was the best fit for him. However, whichever team does decide to trade him for a playoff run (again, not saying anyone should), he won't find the same success as he's had in Montreal. Any playoff team won't use him as a first or second line player. He'd strictly be depth and 2nd unit PP. If I had to guess, the three teams that would look at him the longest would be Pittsburgh, Washington, and Tampa. All have a history of making a bold trade at the deadline, all have minimal cap space to work with.

37 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Canucks could get him and trade for a less effective Motte is what you are proposing?

that would be about right...  but not worth the disruption. Glad Jim passed on this, assuming it was ever even a thing. 

• Cheers 1