The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chucky Cheese

Rate this topic

Timbermen

11 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I am not talking down to people. I just think it's contradictory to crucify Tkachuk for being a dangerous player while condoning another dangerous act. I'm not defending Tkachuk at all here. I just don't think two wrongs make a right. I get why people enjoy seeing someone like Tkachuk get what he "deserves", but that doesn't take away the fact that Kassian was attempting to injure with whatever justification is involved. I guess another way to phrase it is to not stoop to their level.

I'd accept a punch and then a challenge to fight and let him be unwilling and cower. It shows that you aren't going to put up with it and you're the bigger person here while he remains the rat he is. Instead he goes overboard, costs the team the game (didn't fire up the team as some claim this action would and maybe even incites the opposition).

I get that Tkachuk and Marchand types are rats, but I wouldn't wish injury on them, just embarrassment (like Marchand skating over the puck in the shootout, or Matheson cowering all night).

fair enough.

here is where i think we differ the most.

The reason Kassian could have hurt Tkachuk was because MT did not defend himself.  MT is perfectly capable of fighting.  When Kassian dropped the gloves he certainly knew what he was in for.   He did not defend himself because of his strategy to "take one for the team" and to emphasize Kassian's role as the aggressor for the purpose of getting a power play.  At that point he seemed less worried about the consequences of Kassian;s actions (potential injury) than you seem to be since he put up zero defence..

He poked the bear (3 different times to get a reaction) and allowed himself to get beatup on purpose.  Thats how I see it....

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, theo5789 said:

The NHL is a whole different issue. The point I'm trying to make is that people are complaining about how dangerous Tkachuk is, yet support Kassian's dangerous intent to injure actions as well. I'm certain had a Canuck thrown the same hits as Tkachuk did, that player would be getting praised. Probably embarrassed for the turtling, but if it helped the team win the game, then it'll be viewed as simply a player doing what it takes to win. I made a comment earlier this year about Kassian being his own nuclear deterrent and it was a considerably liked comment and this demonstrated it and now Kassian is being praised for it. I just think it's contradictory.

if Tkachuk goes unpunished he could go on to ruin several careers with his reckless play, Kassian on the other hand was trying to remove the problem because the refs did nothing.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, theo5789 said:

The NHL is a whole different issue. The point I'm trying to make is that people are complaining about how dangerous Tkachuk is, yet support Kassian's dangerous intent to injure actions as well. I'm certain had a Canuck thrown the same hits as Tkachuk did, that player would be getting praised. Probably embarrassed for the turtling, but if it helped the team win the game, then it'll be viewed as simply a player doing what it takes to win. I made a comment earlier this year about Kassian being his own nuclear deterrent and it was a considerably liked comment and this demonstrated it and now Kassian is being praised for it. I just think it's contradictory.

I think he's being praised for it due, solely, to who it was at the other end.

There are probably a lot of guys applauding Kass for doing what needed to be done.  Tkachuk HAS to be addressed or he'll get worse, not better.  Guys who start running other guys and getting away with it are the ticking time bombs...not the ones going back at them when they need to.

At least that's how I see it.

A player doing what it takes is one thing but, let's face it, it hasn't always helped his team (even though they won that game).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, the grinder said:

it usually if you take more than 2 strides  and /or jumping  into a hit  

Watching that video, I saw MT take several “strides” looking for the hits, especially on, I think, the first hit. 

How was that not a penalty?

Love what both players did. 

Entertainment. 

- I mean, look at all the chatter. For hockey, this kind of play is the equivalent of “sex sells” in other consumerism or marketing. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Darius said:

fair enough.

here is where i think we differ the most.

The reason Kassian could have hurt Tkachuk was because MT did not defend himself.  MT is perfectly capable of fighting.  When Kassian dropped the gloves he certainly knew what he was in for.   He did not defend himself because of his strategy to "take one for the team" and to emphasize Kassian's role as the aggressor for the purpose of getting a power play.  At that point he seemed less worried about the consequences of Kassian;s actions (potential injury) than you seem to be since he put up zero defence..

He poked the bear (3 different times to get a reaction) and allowed himself to get beatup on purpose.  Thats how I see it....

Well he did protect himself by turtling. He did know what was coming and prevented himself getting a face full of fist and a concussion. He knew if he didn't fight back, there's nothing they could call on him, not even roughing. I think it's an ass move by Tkachuk, but Kassian should have let up when he wasn't willing. Kassian was lucky also in that he didn't get a 5 min major. Poor officiating overall, but that doesn't take away the dangerous actions from both sides.

• Upvote 1

Just now, 189lb enforcers? said:

Watching that video, I saw MT take several “strides” looking for the hits, especially on, I think, the first hit. 

How was that not a penalty?

Love what both players did. 

Entertainment. 

and he jumped as well   the second one MT goes for his head  in a similar fashion , exactly no calls   on 3 clear charging attempts,  like what is Kassian supposed to do ?  3 strikes and get knocked out lol 

1 hour ago, surtur said:

if Tkachuk goes unpunished he could go on to ruin several careers with his reckless play, Kassian on the other hand was trying to remove the problem because the refs did nothing.

The thing is Tkachuk has done much dirtier things than this. It was maybe a charge, but it wasn't a targeted headshot. We have seen worse plays. I get it that it's Tkachuk so everything seems fair game to him, but it doesn't take away that what Kassian did was also a dangerous act and is being applauded for it. I like to see Tkachuk get his dues and the league needs to do a better job, but at the same time, I'm not going to applaud a dangerous act and complain about dangerous acts.

1 minute ago, the grinder said:

and he jumped as well   the second one MT goes for his head  in a similar fashion , exactly no calls   on 3 clear charging attempts,  like what is Kassian supposed to do ?  3 strikes and get knocked out lol 

Bad look for the “officiating”. 

Reminds me of the old WWF ‘promoters/handlers”. 

Gong show. 

Glad Kass demanded a fight, but also glad MT knew he would. 

2 meetings left between the two teams. 

Guys like Reeves, Guddy and Wilson saw that. 

Every up-and-comer knows hurting MT is instant fandom an a ticket to a career now. 

Love MT, but he is wanted, more dead than alive. Look out. :lol:

The NHL blew it here. Failed Kass, IMO, but the NHL players still follow the Code and will deal with it themselves. 

Stay tuned! 

Ratings just went up, I’d say. 

TV Commercial costs during those next games will be expensive... 

Maybe the NHL/officials aren’t so dummmmb? :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I think he's being praised for it due, solely, to who it was at the other end.

There are probably a lot of guys applauding Kass for doing what needed to be done.  Tkachuk HAS to be addressed or he'll get worse, not better.  Guys who start running other guys and getting away with it are the ticking time bombs...not the ones going back at them when they need to.

At least that's how I see it.

A player doing what it takes is one thing but, let's face it, it hasn't always helped his team (even though they won that game).

I would've praised Kassian as well, but I just think he went too far. I guess that's the differing opinions here. It's not about defending Tkachuk or thinking he doesn't "deserve" it. I just think that if the criticism is that Tkachuk is a dangerous player, then praising a dangerous act is contradictory.

Tkachuk needs to be addressed for sure and the league needs to step in. Until then, it's entertainment to most and I'm sure Calgary fans loved the hits (assuming that if he were a Canuck, then we would love those hits as well especially if they weren't penalized and thus having a different justification of the events) and Edmonton fans loved Kassian's reaction. Is the league wanting to do something that fanbases seem to enjoy? If they take Tkachuk out of the equation then people will start saying the league is soft or what not I'm sure.

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I would've praised Kassian as well, but I just think he went too far. I guess that's the differing opinions here. It's not about defending Tkachuk or thinking he doesn't "deserve" it. I just think that if the criticism is that Tkachuk is a dangerous player, then praising a dangerous act is contradictory.

Tkachuk needs to be addressed for sure and the league needs to step in. Until then, it's entertainment to most and I'm sure Calgary fans loved the hits (assuming that if he were a Canuck, then we would love those hits as well especially if they weren't penalized and thus having a different justification of the events) and Edmonton fans loved Kassian's reaction. Is the league wanting to do something that fanbases seem to enjoy? If they take Tkachuk out of the equation then people will start saying the league is soft or what not I'm sure.

The league needs to penalize rats for charging or players will continue to defend themselves.  This is not Kassian’s fault; this is the league’s fault.  

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I'm saying that the NHL certainly has its flaws. But the actions need to be looked at in isolation. Whatever justification is made, the bottom line is people are crucifying Tkachuk for being a dangerous player, but Kassian's actions are also dangerous and being praised. The NHL needs to get their act together, but that doesn't take away Kassian's actions being dangerous and foolish as well. I'm not defending the NHL or Tkachuk. I just think it's contradictory to be praising Kassian for the similar reasons as why Tkachuk is being run down for.

A punch I could understand, but to be swinging away like a mad man on a cowering player doesn't prove anything. Get a lick in and tell him to get up and take it like a man. You then do what it takes to get him to fight like target Gaudreau with a solid clean hit when he's on the ice and force him to answer the bell if challenging him doesn't do anything.

yes sure look at the 3 hits MT  threw  at kassian   those are right out of the DPS no no videos  , predatory , charging , leaving his feet  ,targeting the head  ,  are way more dangerous  . Sure kassian action are deemed dangerous but after taking 3 dangerous hits with no calls , the NHL is leaving him no other choice but to do that . So now we get to targeting other players now  , so like I said before  if MT threw that hits at Mcdavid or RNH  there would of been a call , 5 and a game and at least a suspension  , and if kassian took out johnny hockey with a similar hit  . the same applies  and then your opening up a betuzzi incident 

14 hours ago, luckylager said:

In all honesty

I WONDER WHAT HIS DAD THINKS.

I bet Keith texted him and called him a wimp. I hated his Dad (as a player), but 100% he drops the gloves with Kass there. Gloves woulda been off mid hit actually

keith busy at a all you can eat sale at mcdonalds Image result for keith tkachuk fat

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Bad look for the “officiating”. 

Reminds me of the old WWF ‘promoters/handlers”. 

Gong show. 

Glad Kass demanded a fight, but also glad MT knew he would. 

2 meetings left between the two teams. 

Guys like Reeves, Guddy and Wilson saw that. 

Every up-and-comer knows hurting MT is instant fandom an a ticket to a career now. 

Love MT, but he is wanted, more dead than alive. Look out. :lol:

The NHL blew it here. Failed Kass, IMO, but the NHL players still follow the Code and will deal with it themselves. 

Stay tuned! 

Ratings just went up, I’d say. 

TV Commercial costs during those next games will be expensive... 

Maybe the NHL/officials aren’t so dummmmb? :ph34r:

lol pretty much  ,  ratings will go up . Calgary fans putting up billboards in Edmonton  ,  and then when something really bad happens the nhl will wash its hands of it and blame the players , just like the bertuzzi incident    notice  it was 2 games not 3  just in time for the rematch  lol

Edited by the grinder
  • Upvote 1

At least Kass gets an extra week off before the all star break (except practices). After that, he comes back from suspension to play....Calgary.

That's one I need to pvr. If Rat-fink has integrity at all they will go in the first period and move on.

• Cheers 2

59 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The league needs to penalize rats for charging or players will continue to defend themselves.  This is not Kassian’s fault; this is the league’s fault.  

I never debated who was at fault here. I think it's contradictory to praise a dangerous act and complain about them in the same breath.

6 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I never debated who was at fault here. I think it's contradictory to praise a dangerous act and complain about them in the same breath.

Disagree here. If the said retaliatory dangerous act serves to reduce future inciting dangerous acts, either through league action on penalizing the careless hits or through people like MT finally getting it and not want to get pummeled again, then I think it’s justified. 

• Upvote 1