The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Conservative Party of Canada Holds Annual Convention

DonLever

3 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

that assumes that being gay is a choice, when all the evidence is to the contrary. Its looked at as a harmful practice for a reason.

I know there are phrases thrown about "being born gay".  I just don't see it that way.  I'm under the "Nature vs Nurture" type of philosophy.  Unless science is able to genetically identify the "gay" gene then I'm leaning towards it being Nurture.  And it's perfectly OK with me with how others want to grow up..  As long as they grow up to be good honest productive members of society.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, nuckin_futz said:

Everyone is so excited about O'Toole's prospects, the thread has devolved into a debate on gay conversion therapy.

That does not bode well for Conservatives.

Read the post before you. Also please don't label all conservatives as social conservatives.

• Thanks 1

Just now, BPA said:

I know there are phrases thrown about "being born gay".  I just don't see it that way.  I'm under the "Nature vs Nurture" type of philosophy.  Unless science is able to genetically identify the "gay" gene then I'm leaning towards it being Nurture.  And it's perfectly OK with me with how others want to grow up..  As long as they grow up to be good honest productive members of society.

This is gonna go from a gay conversion to debate about free will real quick.

22 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

I find it amusing that the snake oil that is conversion therapy is even being defended, but here we are.

I'm amused that you are on a Canucks HOCKEY board.  I mean in your last 1500 posts, no one single post in the Canucks hockey discussion section.  Is your life that pathetic that you need to come onto a hockey forum to be able to rant about orange man bad?  No friends to be able to to talk to?  Need to come online to let random strangers fill that hole?  Just sad really.  

Anger is an addiction, don't let the media fill that outrage to that point that it consumes your life.  Take a break from politics, it accomplished nothing other than adding gas to the fire, make some friends and invest in yourself. focus on finding joy.  Your life will be that much better off......

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat

27 minutes ago, BPA said:

I get that running a mental hospital is a big loss (ie. no revenue) but probably a good portion of the DTES should be in a mental hospital getting the help they need to turn their lives around.  Instead, we kicked them to the curb/streets leaving them to fend for themselves.

I think cheaper than the police having to deal with it all day long.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

This is gonna go from a gay conversion to debate about free will real quick.

Yeah.  Sorry for the derail.

OK back to the Conservative Party discussion.  Don't think the guy will do any better for the Conservatives than Scheer.  But I guess time will tell.

36 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

In the original post you replied to, I stated I dont think it works.

Oh, sorry, just wasn't clear the way you had written it in your response, but in that case, I agree. I had someone misunderstand me the other day (YouTube) and I came to my own conclusion that with sensitive topics, clarity is paramount. (Don't want to put it on you tho, just a general thought) Cheers man!

Edit: I think the idea of "conversion therapy" just pushes repression of desires, a dangerous thing as that energy can be focused in very negative ways including harming ones self.

Edited by VanIsleNuckFan

3 minutes ago, BPA said:

Yeah.  Sorry for the derail.

OK back to the Conservative Party discussion.  Don't think the guy will do any better for the Conservatives than Scheer.  But I guess time will tell.

No worries. It's okay to go off-road sometimes. Just don't want to go off-road while we are already off-road.

3 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I'm amused that you are on a Canucks HOCKEY board.  I mean in your last 1500 posts, no one single post in the Canucks hockey discussion section.  Is your life that pathetic that you need to come onto a hockey forum to be able to rant about orange man bad?  No friends to be able to to talk to?  Need to come online to let random strangers fill that hole?  Just sad really.  

Anger is an addiction, don't let the media fill that outrage to that point that it consumes your life.  Take a break from politics, it accomplished nothing other than adding gas to the fire, make some friends and invest in yourself. focus on finding joy.  Your life will be that much better off......

Par for the course.  Got no leg to stand on, so personal attack.  What I choose to post on is MY CHOICE.  Your uninformed opinion on me is is an unpolished turd.  It's something a number of banned users did.  Sad.  Really sad.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

@thedestroyerofworlds @ForsbergTheGreat

Lets pick our next words a lot better. Be the better person.

Would rather not see either of you banned.

haha I like the mediating. 

image.png.fc607d617524d0f4dd0c8be99c0c3345.png

/\  I'm clearly the canucks fan  

Meh. If I got banned my life would continue. I just wouldn't get to share any hockey insights

I don't think I could say the same about thedestroyer, he seems to need this board a lot more than I.   

14 minutes ago, BPA said:

It's hard to grow up a good honest member of society when you are ostracized by your family and community. As someone who works with children it's a story I've heard far too many times. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, BPA said:

Genetics don't work that way. You are unlikely to find a single "gay gene"; the genome is way too complex. There are literally millions of factors that comprise a genome. The sum of many genetic factors contribute to the propensity to be homosexual but there is individual variance in this as well. There is undeniably a genetic component but each individual has different influences, sometimes there are environmental and social factors. The answer for everyone is different. It's not necessarily Nature OR Nurture, it's more so a varying amount of nature + a varying amount of nurture.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

haha I like the mediating. 

image.png.fc607d617524d0f4dd0c8be99c0c3345.png

/\  I'm clearly the canucks fan  

Meh. If I got banned my life would continue. I just wouldn't get to share any hockey insights

I don't think I could say the same about thedestroyer, he seems to need this board a lot more than I.   

I am just saying,

You can spend your energy a lot better than arguing an unproductive argument on the internet.

I would rather you both stay on these forums than get Ryan Stromed. Don't let negativity get the better of you.

Even though we sometimes forget... We are all Canucks here.

1 minute ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Genetics don't work that way. You are unlikely to find a single "gay gene"; the genome is way too complex. There are literally millions of factors that comprise a genome. The sum of many genetic factors contribute to the propensity to be homosexual but there is individual variance in this as well. There is undeniably a genetic component but each individual has different influences, sometimes there are environmental and social factors. The answer for everyone is different. It's not necessarily Nature OR Nurture, it's more so a varying amount of nature + a varying amount of nurture.

Could it be the chemicals in your brain?  There's been gay animals before that's nature.