The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Conservative Party of Canada Holds Annual Convention

DonLever

11 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

really? I'm honestly surprised that you'd be OK with a pro life candidate or someone who doesn't mind conversion therapy. 

The last 3 Conservative leaders have all had foibles to deal with.

But aside from her views on abortion and get conversion beliefs she's quite smart and actually forward thinking.

At least from what I've been reading and hearing of her.  Compared to otoole or MacKay she'd have been head and shoulder's above scheer and Harper in terms of being progressive comparatively

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The last 3 Conservative leaders have all had foibles to deal with.

But aside from her views on abortion and get conversion beliefs she's quite smart and actually forward thinking.

At least from what I've been reading and hearing of her.  Compared to otoole or MacKay she'd have been head and shoulder's above scheer and Harper in terms of being progressive comparatively

I'm not sure how you can call someone with those views "forward thinking" or progressive? she's new and sort of interesting from a diversity pov (at least for conservatives) but she's just another con willing to step on a certain segment of the population to be popular. The only difference between her and Scheer is she had the balls to be open about her beliefs. 

She also knew she had no real chance of wining so she could play those cards. 

Edited by Robert Long

6 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Haha thanks but I got way too many skeletons in the closet.  As a conservative it's so frustrating to watch, drop the social fight, focus on the issues that can actually help Canadians.  I know I rag on the left a lot but man the right is just as bad.

This is pretty much it.

Watching BNN right now and I believe they just said that O'toole would scrap the carbon tax and apply a tax to all fossil fuels.. did I hear that right?

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Haha thanks but I got way too many skeletons in the closet.  As a conservative it's so frustrating to watch, drop the social fight, focus on the issues that can actually help Canadians.  I know I rag on the left a lot but man the right is just as bad.

I knew Lewis was a long shot but would have gave her support.  Mackay is too much of a slim ball.  O'toole is just that a tool.  Politics is such a joke.  Ugh monday morning and i'm already cracking a beer. 

I gave up on eastern conservative 3 years ago. I see no cultural or economic connect anymore. Either you can explain your philosophical commitment or you cannot. The CPC cannot or fear that if they do it will sink them. The left dwell on subjective BS and when exposed simply move onto the next issue. Canada as a country has critical issues facing it and I don't see a leader of any party that is even talking about them. I guess Bernier is the closest and since I won't vote for another easterner he is out. 

I am still voting Wexit, yesterday doesn't change anything. Outside the box? O'Toole is able to coax Bernier back into the CPC. Not very likely. The issue Bernier is faced with is most of his support is in AB & Sask. If those people moved to Wexit then Bernier is toast. That is the likely outcome.  

I just saw this statement that O'Toole put out and it seems to be a step in the right direction with a more clear stance on social issues... accepting.. hopefully he is a more confident speaker than Scheer, I haven't watched him speak much at all 

Acknowledging the party needs to broaden its base to win the next election, O'Toole reached out to all Canadians in all regions of the country and from diverse backgrounds.

"I believe that whether you are Black, white, brown or from any race or creed, whether you are LGBT or straight, whether you are an Indigenous Canadian or have joined the Canadian family three weeks ago or three generations ago," he said.

"Whether you're doing well or barely getting by. Whether you worship on Friday, Saturday, Sunday or not at all … you are an important part of Canada and you have a home in the Conservative Party of Canada."

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

I just saw this statement that O'Toole put out and it seems to be a step in the right direction with a more clear stance on social issues... accepting.. hopefully he is a more confident speaker than Scheer, I haven't watched him speak much at all 

Acknowledging the party needs to broaden its base to win the next election, O'Toole reached out to all Canadians in all regions of the country and from diverse backgrounds.

"I believe that whether you are Black, white, brown or from any race or creed, whether you are LGBT or straight, whether you are an Indigenous Canadian or have joined the Canadian family three weeks ago or three generations ago," he said.

"Whether you're doing well or barely getting by. Whether you worship on Friday, Saturday, Sunday or not at all … you are an important part of Canada and you have a home in the Conservative Party of Canada."

nice statement, too bad the people that voted him in don't believe it. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

That's nice and all, but we'll see if he backs those words up with policies or not.

34 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I gave up on eastern conservative 3 years ago. I see no cultural or economic connect anymore. Either you can explain your philosophical commitment or you cannot. The CPC cannot or fear that if they do it will sink them. The left dwell on subjective BS and when exposed simply move onto the next issue. Canada as a country has critical issues facing it and I don't see a leader of any party that is even talking about them. I guess Bernier is the closest and since I won't vote for another easterner he is out. 

I am still voting Wexit, yesterday doesn't change anything. Outside the box? O'Toole is able to coax Bernier back into the CPC. Not very likely. The issue Bernier is faced with is most of his support is in AB & Sask. If those people moved to Wexit then Bernier is toast. That is the likely outcome.  

wexit is just a protest vote, its the kind of thinking thats brought the CPC to the state its in today. If you really want a part that tries to focus on the issues that matter most to the country, they need to drop the social conservative intolerance, because thats the glue that holds social con's together. 

I suppose if it gains enough momentum you could have a sort of weaker version of the Bloc.... is that really what you want? 

Just now, Robert Long said:

nice statement, too bad the people that voted him in don't believe it. 

That's quite a blanket statement... it is too bad there's all sorts of characters on either side all we can hope for is that leaders lead by example rather than appeal to fringe types

3 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

That's nice and all, but we'll see if he backs those words up with policies or not.

We'll see, hard to be worse than the Scheer weakness we saw last go around... at least we know he won't be faking his insurance broker exp... 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

That's quite a blanket statement... it is too bad there's all sorts of characters on either side all we can hope for is that leaders lead by example rather than appeal to fringe types

its not blanket at all. If you believe in social conservative ideas like conversion therapy, you have chosen intolerance. Its not even a question. 

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

its not blanket at all. If you believe in social conservative ideas like conversion therapy, you have chosen intolerance. Its not even a question. 

Define conversion therapy.  There's two view points regarding it but people like you only seems to call out one area.  

If we're talking about forcing an unwilling persons of any age to be involved in it, then the answer is no it's wrong, but very few people are on that side of it. 

Where as if we are talking about WILLING people who are giving consent over 18, then I see nothing wrong with that and that's what most politicians align with.  

This is one of those smear tactics the left love you use, play ignorant so that you can paint the other side as evil.  It leaves zero room for discussion on the matter which is.......intolerant....

45 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

sadly, there's nothing fiscally conservative about the CPC.  

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Define conversion therapy.  There's two view points regarding it but people like you only seems to call out one area.  

If we're talking about forcing an unwilling persons of any age to be involved in it, then the answer is no it's wrong, but very few people are on that side of it. 

Where as if we are talking about WILLING people who are giving consent over 18, then I see nothing wrong with that and that's what most politicians align with.  

This is one of those smear tactics the left love you use, play ignorant so that you can paint the other side as evil.  It leaves zero room for discussion on the matter which is.......intolerant....

it's disgusting, no matter what angle you look at it from, sorry

• Cheers 1

Once this 'Tool' under performs in the next election the Conservatives will have no other choice but to enlist Jason Kenney. If he wants the gig, it'll be his. Then they just hope he doesn't become a Canadian version of the one man show we've south of the border. Because they know (and so will Kenney) that they will all have to pledge fealty to him.

Still stunned they replaced their version of Stephane Dion with their version of Michael Ignatief. Guess they weren't paying attention to what happened to the Liberals when they tried that routine.

• Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

it's disgusting, no matter what angle you look at it from, sorry

its not a debate, its a denial of a part of human existence. Its pretty pathetic. There are not "two sides" thats some weak tea there and a waste of time. Anyone that bites on that fake debate is wasting time. 

The social con's obsession with gay people is really odd, but they like to pick people who they think they can push around and/or have no consequence to their lives.

The difference between social cons and other political groups in Canada is the social cons want to define how we all should live, vs. letting people live their lives. Its fundamental, for lack of a better word. They chose a certain belief and want to force it on others. They claim thats what "the left" does but the reality is things like the Charter are the tools that give us actual freedom vs. so-called social con values. 

Edited by Robert Long
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

19 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

its not a debate, its a denial of a part of human existence. Its pretty pathetic. There are not "two sides" thats some weak tea there and a waste of time. Anyone that bites on that fake debate is wasting time. 

Pathetic is you thinking you are morally superior than others.  Pathetic is forcing a person to struggle with something THEY don't want to live with. 

Part of the biggest thing wrong with politics today is the thought that the gov't needs to play the role of the moral arbitrator. The Gov't should protect people from being forced to do something, not enforce all people to have the same beliefs. Two different areas.  

The fact that you aren't wiling to debate or at the very least have a discussion, clearly demonstrates your ignorance on the matter.  

The difference between social cons and other political groups in Canada is the social cons want to define how we all should live, vs. letting people live their lives. Its fundamental, for lack of a better word. They chose a certain belief and want to force it on others. They claim thats what "the left" does but the reality is things like the Charter are the tools that give us actual freedom vs. so-called social con values. 

Oh the irony of this paragraph.  

You state.  "social cons want to define how we all should live, vs. letting people live their lives"

Yet here you are saying people should not be allowed to WILLINGLY go to therapy. 

Who's trying to force a belief?  Oh yes that's YOU....

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Chicken. said:

Sadly, with an estimated 60% of O'Tooles votes coming from the so-called social conservative side. I do not think his base will be as accepting or believing of his statements I see maybe when he says them