The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Mikael Granlund Available

aGENT

On 1/21/2020 at 11:09 AM, the grinder said:

no to granlund   a cap hit of 5.75  that's not happening   unless preds are taking loui back  

He's a UFA, they'll retain to make a trade work. If he can play RW, which his less talented brother could, he'd be well worth looking into on the cheap.

With that said Benning seems to be looking for more "long term" options in regards to a top 6 winger. Can't see us re-signing Granlund with our cap situation. Could see Arizona take another swing at a trade. They are still having trouble scoring even after acquiring Hall.

44 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Funny, this is why I figured Stecher for a good fit. He's capable enough to play 2nd pair in spurts (like when Fabbro is struggling) and isn't bound to be too expensive to be a 2nd/3rd pair tweener (cost controlled RFA). Especially with Fabbro still making ELC cash. They can shuffle them between those pairs as required (Fabbro likely seeing the lion's share of 2nd pair minutes).

Add Dillon (or similar) on the left to replace Hammer and that's a sizable improvement where they need it IMO.

Baer at 50% gives them a warm body to replace Granlund's poor fit/disappointing production at F and allow them to ease in/make Tolvanen/Tomasino earn it over him. If he get's waived, he's only a +/- $500k hit (short term/1 more year) with that retention. All while offering them injury depth as well.

All season there's been so much written about their struggling goalies.  Their 3rd pairing is sheltered and they barely play.  Before the Ellis injury Weber was averaging 11 minutes of ice time.  Do they really want to pay someone more than league minimum? 

Dillon is a 3.3M cap hit and plays 19 minutes a night in SJS - no idea if interested but he does bring physicality which they lack.   Fabbro Dillon 38 minutes.  Josi, Ellis, Ekholm 75minutes.  113minutes on 120 available.   So about 10 minutes left.  It seems like poorly allocated cap to add someone at over 2M for that little minutes.  They have more pressing issues than the D.   

Nashville is not going to have a lot of cap next season so they need to use it wisely.  I think they are more likely to want to invest in getting size in that top-6 and on D.   Who knows also if their goalies continue to struggle - new system.  They might have to go after a goalie before anything else.  

The team is clearly not doing well but they made the coaching change to give the opportunity to players to rebound - Poile talks of clean slate.  

They're unlikely to make the playoffs and changes are kind of expected.  I think that they will want to retain cap flexibility and make moves in the off-season rather than tie themselves up at the TDL before they even have a good assessment of the team under Hynes.  They are adjusting systems and have also issues like confidence, consistency to solve.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, mll said:

All season there's been so much written about their struggling goalies.  Their 3rd pairing is sheltered and they barely play.  Before the Ellis injury Weber was averaging 11 minutes of ice time.  Do they really want to pay someone more than league minimum? 

Dillon is a 3.3M cap hit and plays 19 minutes a night in SJS - no idea if interested but he does bring physicality which they lack.   Fabbro Dillon 38 minutes.  Josi, Ellis, Ekholm 75minutes.  113minutes on 120 available.   So about 10 minutes left.  It seems like poorly allocated cap to add someone at over 2M for that little minutes.  They have more pressing issues than the D.   

Nashville is not going to have a lot of cap next season so they need to use it wisely.  I think they are more likely to want to invest in getting size in that top-6 and on D.   Who knows also if their goalies continue to struggle - new system.  They might have to go after a goalie before anything else.  

The team is clearly not doing well but they made the coaching change to give the opportunity to players to rebound - Poile talks of clean slate.  

They're unlikely to make the playoffs and changes are kind of expected.  I think that they will want to retain cap flexibility and make moves in the off-season rather than tie themselves up at the TDL before they even have a good assessment of the team under Hynes.  They are adjusting systems and have also issues like confidence, consistency to solve.  

Point being they're already basically paying Fabbro league minimum. Spending +/- $2.5m on Stecher hardly seems a stretch. And again, you said yourself, Fabbro's been hard pressed to actually play those minutes. Stecher would be a highly capable insurance piece to split 2nd/3rd pair minutes with him when he stumbles.

They're not going to be able to add a top 6 PWF for Granlund's hit. The answer isn't likely to be another free agent.

No comment on my Bennett +/- for Granlund to Calgary either? He would bring some additional grit to their middle 6 but I'm afraid offensive production would still be an issue.

You sure have trouble shaking yourself out of that one track of thinking MLL :lol:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611b373f86a69ac58c943

Edited by aGENT

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Point being they're already basically paying Fabbro league minimum. Spending +/- $2.5m on Stecher hardly seems a stretch. And again, you said yourself, Fabbro's been hard pressed to actually play those minutes. Stecher would be a highly capable insurance piece to split 2nd/3rd pair minutes with him when he stumbles.

They're not going to be able to add a top 6 PWF for Granlund's hit. The answer isn't likely to be another free agent.

You sure have trouble shaking yourself out of that one track of thinking MLL :lol:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611b373f86a69ac58c943

Don't see how Stecher can play those minutes either.   If he's that good against opponents top lines why wouldn't the Canucks keep him.  

Edited by mll
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, mll said:

Stecher has averaged just under 15 minutes a night this year. If they get a better 3rd pairing, they could ease some of the minutes from the top 4 keeping them fresh and effective during a game and a season. Having a pairing of Dillon and Stecher would mean not needing to shelter them as much which is what they are doing with their D now and getting exposed for it. A couple of BC boys that Nashville seems to acquire plenty of.

Perhaps the deal isn't around Granlund, Baertschi or Sutter, but Stecher would certainly be a nice fit there IMO. I think they can afford the 2.5 million for the upgrade as I think they're unlikely to make a big splash with their cap space next year without moving out more cap than the expiring Granlund and Smith. They are already in their window, so they need to figure out something fast before that window closes.

• Cheers 1

I remember he had a terrific playoffs back in 2015 or something like that. He blocked a few big shots in the dying seconds in one of Minny's opening round games vs. the Avs. And he also scored an EPIC OT winner. I remember thinking that I'd kill to acquire a player like that. However, it's as if his game has dwindled over the last couple of years, and I'm not sure why. He's a paradoxical player, but one of his best assests is that he has plenty of experience playing in all three forward positions. Depending on the price, he's someone I would seriously consider, but there's definite risk there...

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

He's a UFA, they'll retain to make a trade work. If he can play RW, which his less talented brother could, he'd be well worth looking into on the cheap.

With that said Benning seems to be looking for more "long term" options in regards to a top 6 winger. Can't see us re-signing Granlund with our cap situation. Could see Arizona take another swing at a trade. They are still having trouble scoring even after acquiring Hall.

You know what a sh*t rope is 'Zona?

If Granlund gets traded I think Pittsburgh is the most likely landing spot.

They have lost Guentzel for 4-6 months. His $6m could be put onto LTIR and easily create the cap space for Granny to add to their top 6.

The Penguins seem to be considered a perennial contender, so it may make sense for them to trade say a 3rd rounder to rent a pending UFA.

19 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Stecher has averaged just under 15 minutes a night this year. If they get a better 3rd pairing, they could ease some of the minutes from the top 4 keeping them fresh and effective during a game and a season. Having a pairing of Dillon and Stecher would mean not needing to shelter them as much which is what they are doing with their D now and getting exposed for it. A couple of BC boys that Nashville seems to acquire plenty of.

Perhaps the deal isn't around Granlund, Baertschi or Sutter, but Stecher would certainly be a nice fit there IMO. I think they can afford the 2.5 million for the upgrade as I think they're unlikely to make a big splash with their cap space next year without moving out more cap than the expiring Granlund and Smith. They are already in their window, so they need to figure out something fast before that window closes.

They don't have that much cap space.  The 3rd pairing issue seems somewhat negligible in the scheme of things - they have so many other issues. Not just roster.  

In the playoffs they had trouble dislodging players from their crease.  If they have to invest in a D - its probably more in someone with size who can help there.  It's not like cap space is infinite.  

At the Worlds Stecher wasn't even able to keep his minutes above Fabbro's - Stecher ended D7 under Vigneault.  Those are games that Poile watched because he wanted to make sure that he could indeed move Subban and still feel comfortable with their Ds.  

Stats this season have been showing that Rinne Saros are well below expected save percentage despite a rather favourable environment - the Ds are still doing a  decent job at keeping shots on the outside.  Poile listed the goalie as guys that need to be better.   Can a change in system help them - who knows.  

21 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

They have lost Guentzel for 4-6 months. His $6m could be put onto LTIR and easily create the cap space for Granny to add to their top 6.

The Penguins seem to be considered a perennial contender, so it may make sense for them to trade say a 3rd rounder to rent a pending UFA.

Crosby or Malkin could just be what Granny needs to get his scoring going again...

27 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Hope so, I have him in Fantasy :lol:

10 minutes ago, mll said:

They don't have that much cap space.  The 3rd pairing issue seems somewhat negligible in the scheme of things - they have so many other issues. Not just roster.  

In the playoffs they had trouble dislodging players from their crease.  If they have to invest in a D - its probably more in someone with size who can help there.  It's not like cap space is infinite.  

At the Worlds Stecher wasn't even able to keep his minutes above Fabbro's - Stecher ended D7 under Vigneault.  Those are games that Poile watched because he wanted to make sure that he could indeed move Subban and still feel comfortable with their Ds.  

Stats this season have been showing that Rinne Saros are well below expected save percentage despite a rather favourable environment - the Ds are still doing a  decent job at keeping shots on the outside.  Poile listed the goalie as guys that need to be better.   Can a change in system help them - who knows.  

You were the one that suggested they would try to target Hall or Kreider and suddenly they don't have much cap space (which is what I've been saying all along)?

Right now they need to get back in the playoffs to worry about that. You agreed that Stecher is an upgrade to Weber and Irwin, so it's an improvement on the team. I've explained why 2.5 million is maybe 500k too high, but still reasonable for what he provides and he could always renegotiate a deal that is cheaper (in which case, I might be comfortable hanging onto Stecher if he's willing to go this route anyway).

Fabbro may simply be going through that rookie grind. We have seen this from guys like Boeser and EP where in the 2nd half of the year, they get burned out over the long season. I expect Fabbro to be better next year, but instead of targetting a top 4 dman which would cost more than Stecher's 2.5 million or bargain binning for some aging vet, they could get a younger player that could ease Fabbro's minutes until he's ready to take back the top 4 spot full time and bump Stecher back to his regular minutes. If Stecher shows well, they could surely offload him to a team needing defense for a pick or whatever. Stecher was good enough to make team Canada, so surely that puts him on Poile's radar. Stecher wasn't horrible, just wasn't favoured in a short tournament, so I doubt all of Poile's assessment is relied on that.

It may seem inconsequential to bolster the 3rd pairing, but it can create a ripple effect. When our 4th line wasn't clicking, the minutes were dumped on the top 3 lines. When Motte returned and made the 4th line a dependable line, suddenly we could roll 4 lines. You're the one mentioned that they have been sheltering their 3rd pairing, so what if they don't have to as much? It only makes the top 4 that much more effective within games and over a season. You also said that it's unlikely to have a major shakeup to the roster, so unlikely they will make a big move under new coaching, but adding a "3rd pairing dman" to see if it adds enough to the team to get them going doesn't seem like much of a risk or a shakeup.

They are the ones that should be more desperate as we are above them while being an up and coming team and they are out of the playoff picture while being in their window. They want to part with Granlund, but have no viable solution to replace him and not much cap to work with, so what else can they do?

On 1/21/2020 at 11:44 AM, aGENT said:

TOT is likely an abbreviation of 'total' as in the 'total' between the two teams he split time between...

No it's not. You can tell because he's 26 that year... his age actually ascends.

• Wat 1

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Daffuq are you going on about Daz? :lol:

EOuz_AMWkAAY4Qs?format=png&name=360x360

Oh, so I was really confused until I looked at what happened. He played 63 games with MIN, and 16 games with NSH. This equal 79 games.

TOT is a strange title to combine what he did between those two teams.

I also had to re-read your post again to see what you ACTUALLY said. So now I get it. You were right in the original post.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, oldnews said:

You're weak on the facts once again. 

Gaudette hasn't played a whiff with Motte.  Zero.

He hasn't played a whiff with Schaller over the period you claim.  Zero.

Who has Gaudette actually played with as Virtanen stepped off that line and up in the lineup?   Boeser.

The Gaudtte, Roussel, Virtanen line is 4 x as frequent a combination as any other Gaudette has seen this season.

Look at the actual context of Gaudette's play recently:

100% ozone starts in the SJ game, with Boeser, not Schaller or Motte on his wing.  2 pts.

71% ozons starts vs Arizona, with Boeser.

Played with Virtanen vs Buffalo.  1 pt.

Again start from a basis of facts or there's not much to see here.

Yes but you are ignoring facts like quality of linemates.

JV and roussel are not the same offensive weapons as Petey/boes/horvat/miller/pearson

Boeser has been struggling, we all know why and understand.

JV didn't outplay Boeser.

Boeser was bumped down due to his struggles/ dads health.

100% ozone starts to get boeser going?

Avoid being against most teams top pairings/checkers.

Gaudette has a more important role than a Winger. 

If Gaudette puts up close to the same point totals how does he not get the close to if not the same cap as JV?

AG & JV will have the sameish cap hit, 3-3.5per.

Slight bumps to put them ahead of Roussel,Beagle and Ferland.

It took jv 200+ nhl games to get to where he is today.

It took AG 100 nhl games to get to where he is today.

Who's worth more?

A player that takes twice as long to develop in the nhl or a 5th rounder working his tail off through every league he's played in? 

Same age and almost same points per game.

Center's are usually worth more $

Thanks for the "Facts" but i disagree.

The original opinion was about JV/AG future contracts and progression.

Not game logs that don't tell the whole story, like plus/minus.

• Wat 1

If the Canucks added anything, it would be some big Snarl to the 6th D . Maybe Tryamkin could slide in or maybe Brendan Dyllon is a good price. 

It would be nice to dump a fringe winger like Schaller, I was so high on his play early in the season, but he reverted back to last seasons player. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Yes but you are ignoring facts like quality of linemates.

JV and roussel are not the same offensive weapons as Petey/boes/horvat/miller/pearson

100% ozone starts to get boeser going?

Avoid being against most teams top pairings/checkers.

Gaudette has a more important role than a Winger. 

If Gaudette puts up close to the same point totals how does he not get the close to if not the same cap as JV?

AG & JV will have the sameish cap hit, 3-3.5per.

Slight bumps to put them ahead of Roussel,Beagle and Ferland.

It took jv 200+ nhl games to get to where he is today.

It took AG 100 nhl games to get to where he is today.

Who's worth more?

A player that takes twice as long to develop in the nhl or a 5th rounder working his tail off through every league he's played in? 

Same age and almost same points per game.

Center's are usually worth more $

Thanks for the "Facts" but i disagree.

The original opinion was about JV/AG future contracts and progression.

Not game logs that don't tell the whole story, like plus/minus.

I think I disagree the most with the bolded.

Boeser has absolutely been outplayed by JV. JV is a much better skater, and it shows. While JV has been contributing to the scoresheet, while being defensively sound, Boeser has been making risky passes (ala Goldobin) and being unable to take away sticks that end up scoring the net. I think Boeser needs to work on his skating again.