The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 27, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

10 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

ewww,gross. boeser is no way a shut down player, and sutter is no way a scoring centre. but thanks for playing

I feel like a valley girl just critiqued my proposal.

Thanks for adding flavour to the forum.  And thanks again, I learned a lot.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, oldnews said:

EP Miller Virtanen

Pearson Horvat Boeser

Roussel Sutter Gaudette

Motte Beagle LE

(LE can still rack up the empty net points!)

I'm wondering if maybe this helps to create some more balanced chances for Brock's line:

EP - Miller - Virtanen

Pearson - Horvat - LE

Motte or Sutter - Gaudette - BB

Roussel Beagle Motte or Sutter

On the whole maybe this gives AG and Brock more chances to get out of their zone? 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Its about balance....

Sutter as a centre on the third line is to have a face off winning centre on the third line. 
And since when have we become a team with just one scoring line?

what are you implying? one scoring line i never said. 

i get it gaudette is BAD at faceoffs,and we are stacked at C. but hockey isnt won at the faceoff dot or miller would be a ten million dollar player. we NEED two shudown lines and weakening our shutdown line and weakening our scoring line to just win some dots is not the way to go.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm wondering if maybe this helps to create some more balanced chances for Brock's line:

EP - Miller - Virtanen

Pearson - Horvat - LE

Roussel Beagle LE

I guess Motte would have to sit out potentially which isn't ideal but on the whole maybe this gives AG and Brock more chances to get out of their zone? 

And LE gets double shifted? ::D

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

eriksson.thumb.png.6a2bcef90f938c1ea2e291016fbdf1c0.png

It's alive!!!!! It's alive!!!!!!!!

"Stay Hot Lu!"

Loved hearing Jake say that in his mic'd up... or was it Tanner?

Loui is playing his best hockey yet. Four years into the contract! Better late than never.

STAY HOT LU! I smell a goal coming up this week.

Luuuuuuuuuuuuu

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Exactly why I was concerned about a long, expensive contract for a pretty one dimensional player.  I still think he's a prime candidate to be moved.

Imagine thinking this like 3 or 4 years ago. Man we are turning into a spoiled bunch 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

EP - Miller - Virtanen

Pearson - Horvat - LE

Roussel Beagle LE

I guess Motte would have to sit out potentially which isn't ideal but on the whole maybe this gives AG and Brock more chances to get out of their zone? 

I think that, as good as he is, Roussel isn't quite enough on the wing with both Gaudette and Boeser to 'drive' that line.  For me, those two aren't the most developed 'possession' players among the forward group - having them together is a 'good' idea when you can 'shelter' them, get them good opportunities - but against a deep team like St Louis, that wasn't really possible.  I like them as a secondary scoring line - and they were at home so I could see why Green would look to take advantage of that - but otherwise they are the one line that is somewhat vulnerable imo.

Regarding your lineup proposal, I think getting a bit more speed than Roussel might help - and I think Motte is also harder on the puck, a bit heavier and more effective on the forecheck - while having just as much upside as Roussel imo -  perhaps that helps make the difference as you suggest.  My only hesitation would be in separating Beagle and Motte - I've got quite a shine for how effective they are together, but certainly that line you propose could also be very effective.

I like the idea of going back to Sutter at 3C with Gaudette on the wing but I have noticed that Sutter is taking virtually no draws - and that may have something to do with the shoulder problems he has had - so I'm not going to question Green's decisions - I have pretty good faith that he knows far better/ far more informing what he's doing than my armchair observations.  I like the Gaudette line when it can be sheltered/given tilted ice - but I also like to see Sutter at 3C as a second matchup option, so that the team could. for example, move LE down the lineup and get Boeser onto Horvat's line where I think he, and that line, could be more productive?   I hope Sutter can get fully healthy - because when they have the 5 line option rolling, they are an extremely deep and versatile group.

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

12 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

what are you implying? one scoring line i never said. 

i get it gaudette is BAD at faceoffs,and we are stacked at C. but hockey isnt won at the faceoff dot or miller would be a ten million dollar player. we NEED two shudown lines and weakening our shutdown line and weakening our scoring line to just win some dots is not the way to go.

you did not understand the lineup you were critiquing.

First - Horvat's line only needs to be a 'shutdown' line when Sutter and/or Beagle are absent.  That was the reason LE was moved up to that line - because it was serving matchup duties in the long absence of Sutter (and Beagle).   Through that period Horvat was a workhorse - to what was likely an unsustainable degree - and he has appeared to be flagging at times.

The point is this"

1)  You move Sutter to 3C - with Roussel - a line that is and was a high end shutdown line.  It's not a secondary scoring line simply because Gaudette is on the wing - he's on that wing to provide counterpunching secondary scoring while learning the 'little things' - playing two-way defensive hockey.  At this point he's somewhat in over his head at C at the NHL level - whether he's sheltered or not.  If you want to make that line even more effective in shutdown, you move Virtanen there, but Virtanen and Miller are providing EP some real heaviness and speed - and it seems to be serving EP's line well - as well as Boeser was.  A '3rd' line, btw is typically a 'matchup' line.

2) The Horvat line does not need to remain a matchup line when there are Beagle and Sutter line - they can be weighted back to being a 2nd line - ie a secondary scoring line - and provide more upside than you are going to get out of Gaudette's line regardless of their deployment.  Horvat's line does not need tilted ice to produce.  Like the dynamic on the 1st line, playing with a pair of heavier, two way forwards like Pearson and Horvat could serve Boeser well.

The Sutter and Beagle lines should, somewhat, speak for themselves.

You seem to be confusing what a 2nd and 3rd line are.  A second line is not typically a shutdown line and a 3rd is not typically a scoring line.  As it is, I'd consider the Gaudette line an unconventional 4th line - getting 4th line minutes, as a secondary scoring line (ala the Oiler's "kid line" of their contending years.  Last night that line played the least.  I'd like to see Boeser further up the lineup with a couple linemates that can drive play for him - getting more minutes and more quality opportunities - something Gaudettte cannot provide.  And likewise, Gaudette on the wing plays more to his strengths at this stage of his development - he also appears to be flagging, and has notable difficulty when he has to handle strong opposition lines.   Get him a couple veteran linemates that, like the top two lines, drive play for him.

That would be my "base" formation - which I'd alter if/when I'm able to get a Gaudette line some tilted ice/sheltered conditions - (they'd be my 5th line - used situationally). 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, apollo said:

"Stay Hot Lu!"

Loved hearing Jake say that in his mic'd up... or was it Tanner?

Loui is playing his best hockey yet. Four years into the contract! Better late than never.

STAY HOT LU! I smell a goal coming up this week.

Luuuuuuuuuuuuu

beginning the play for his next contract

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's such an irksome statement........no one is even remotely hating on BB.

Sorry Stawns. Maybe critique is a better word, my bad. Just seems like there's always a cloud of 'criticism' following Boeser around no matter what.

I didn't have time to read all the posts before I just know this has been a topic today. That ignorance is on me.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

I actually think Sutter centering the 3rd line would be better. Gaudette has gone back into a funk lately which is not surprising as he is a young player. Boes and Roussel should be playing better and it may be because of Gaudette's slump. 

Maybe TG is waiting for guys to come back from injury but I really think Sutter is a better fit for Boes right now. 

Sutter is better at face offs, can pass on experience to Boes as he did Jake and provided a little more offense to that 3rd line. 

As it is a year of developing the young guys, why not shift around the lines to see what works and what doesn't, and I am not talking about the shuffle which sometimes occurs in the third period of some games either. ::D

I could really see that when Ferland comes back and Gaudette going to the press box for a while but would Ferland play with Beagle and Mott or would they move Roussel down to the 4th line and have Ferland playing with Sutter and Boeser

• Upvote 1