The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Boston Bruins | Feb. 04, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Probably doesn’t want to get fined. Can’t say anything about the league or the refs. Look what happened to Torts

Those two instances are completely different.

Tortorella, rightfully, went after the officiating and the league for their bush league approach that affected the outcome of a game. 

Green was being asked if his expectations as to how his team should respond to their star player being levelled by an illegal, late hit. Green wasn't being asked to have an opinion on the league or their useless officiating.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Thanks 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Those two instances are completely different. Tortorella, rightfully, went after the officiating and the league for their bush league approach that affected e outcome of a game. 

Green was being asked if his expectations as to how his team should respond to their star player being levelled by an illegal, late hit. Green isn’t being asked to have an opinion on the league. 

Agreed but some things are best left unsaid. 

For example. If Green were to say something about redemption or a physical response to a particular incident. What happens if something on the ice comes out like a bertuzzi incident for example where theirs legal action. The coach will he held liable as well.

That’s the extreme version. 

The league can also fine the coach if this were said and something bad happened on the ice.

Id keep my mouth shut too

3 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Agreed but some things are best left unsaid. 

For example. If Green were to say something about redemption or a physical response to a particular incident. What happens if something on the ice comes out like a bertuzzi incident for example where theirs legal action. The coach will he held liable as well.

Green wouldn't have to offer specifics regarding a response to Boston. Did you read what was written?

"when asked if his expectations will change for the way his team responds if hits on Pettersson continue to go uncalled"

The answer could literally be "Yes." Leave it at that. Is that a fine worthy statement? Is he advocating for beheading Marchand in that?

That’s the extreme version. 

That has almost no bearing here.

The league can also fine the coach if this were said and something bad happened on the ice.

This league is not a fan of freedom of speech. It's disgusting how quickly they react to being called out publicly for their vast inconsistencies, yet move glacially slow on actually ensuring that dirty play is properly penalized.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Makes it worse aganst BOS. Shades of Marchand using Daniel's head like a speed bag. No pushback. BOS has swagger, they have had this for years and years. It's part of the Bruins culture, from the top management down to the coaching staff, down to the players. They hit more, they're faster, they shoot more, they score more, and they have really good D. The Canucks aren't there yet, despite their good record so far. They lack a certain something, is it a lack of passion from their captain? Do they really have a pack mentality? I'm not sure, but do the Canucks allow more shots against than any other team? They seem to give up 40 a game. Poor D IMO. They need an upgrade on Stecher. Would love to sign Big Buf. That is the swagger they need to compete in the playoffs.

imagine how different Jake would play if he were a Bruin

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Green wouldn't have to offer specifics regarding a response to Boston. Did you read what was written?

"when asked if his expectations will change for the way his team responds if hits on Pettersson continue to go uncalled"

The answer could literally be "Yes." Leave it at that. Is that a fine worthy statement? Is he advocating for beheading Marchand in that?

That has almost no bearing here.

This league is not a fan of freedom of speech. It's disgusting how quickly they react to being called out publicly for their vast inconsistencies, yet move glacially slow on actually ensuring that dirty play is properly penalized.

So you were just hoping he would say yes.. Green has now opened the discussion to how and when...

By saying nothing or no comment he closed the loop. 

I know how the question is worded. I read it but why would you open that can of worms with a yes. You know well how the conversation will go from there..

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

So you were just hoping he would say yes.. Green has now opened the discussion to how and when...

No he hasn't. Yes, can just be it. Why you think he has to provide more info is beyond me.

16 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

By saying nothing or no comment he closed the loop. 

I know how the question is worded. I read it but why would you open that can of worms with a yes. You know well how the conversation will go from there..

Again. A simple one word is answer is sufficient.

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Did hank ever do that?

Lu?

Crosby?

Gretzky?

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said it's not one person's job. That being said you cant single out one player.

Gretzky did not, however, Semenko, Lumley,Hunter,Linesman, McSorely, Muni, McLelland,, Messier, Lowe would have

Crosby is a protected Species but he has had players like Ryan Reeves and Tom Sestitio around for regular season games. That team may have won more with more protection

Canucks never won a Cup with Lu so you can put him in the same catagory as Henrik, Naslund and Bo.

I think this arguement is about whether the Canucks EVER get over the hump?

at various points we have had the speed, the skill the goaltending and the toughness, but never been able to put all 4 together to win a cup 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

No he hasn't. Yes, can just be it. Why you think he has to provide more info is beyond me.

Again. A simple one word is answer is sufficient.

Because by answering yes it’s opens up another question.

You asked why and I told you why 

I’m not arguing I’m just telling you why 

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Look up on YouTube. Both Myers and Benn have had numerous fights.  

There's a definite pattern at play. Fact is, the Canucks don't have a pack mentality at all. It's pretty obvious.

and that is why I was not on board with Bo becoming  Captain.

Bo was brought up through the Willie D /Henrik era, its too bad he never got to play for Torts

Beagle while woesfully underskilled, is the only player that brings an edge with regularity

• Cheers 2

People complaining about lack of push back on Petey need to relax and stop being keyboard warriors.

ANYONE that has played competitive contact team sports know that you are always going to play the other teams best players hard.   Players dont get mad about that- its part of whatever sport you play.  However, if someone is playing dirty THEN that pisses off teammates.  the hit on Petey wasn't dirty- it was late.

Honestly, 99% of the crap canuck fans complain about isnt dirty.  Demanding after the whistle 'push back' in a competitive sport is fan obsession more than anything that doesnt reflect whats happening  btw players.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Because by answering yes it’s opens up another question.

Have you seen Green answer every question asked of him by the press? Of course not.

21 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

You asked why and I told you why 

I’m not arguing I’m just telling you why 

I hear you, but like I said, Green is quite adept at shutting a question down whenever he feels like it. One of the more refreshing attributes the guy has.

16 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I hear you, but like I said, Green is quite adept at shutting a question down whenever he feels like it. One of the more refreshing attributes the guy has.

Exactly.  All one has to do is stare at the questioner like they're the idiot they are, and be done with it.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

People complaining about lack of push back on Petey need to relax and stop being keyboard warriors.

ANYONE that has played competitive contact team sports know that you are always going to play the other teams best players hard.   Players dont get mad about that- its part of whatever sport you play.  However, if someone is playing dirty THEN that pisses off teammates.  the hit on Petey wasn't dirty- it was late.

Honestly, 99% of the crap canuck fans complain about isnt dirty.  Demanding after the whistle 'push back' in a competitive sport is fan obsession more than anything that doesnt reflect whats happening  btw players.  

We’ve messed with McDavid pretty good in the past too. So it’s not like we aren’t playing hard against other teams stars.

I think we’d all like to see a little more push back when you see something like that to Petey. Having said that I watched closely after it happened and Virtanen did step up with 2 hits on that guy and a shot to the back. Nobody else did much but then I saw comments about Virtanen not coming to the plate either, which he did without taken a penalty. I think fans sometimes see red and don’t see everything. At the end of the day we are just passionate about Peteys safety but people goto extremes sometimes.

On the other side If we had Boston Refs I’d be all over the retaliations. The Beagle incident- if I was Boston I would have done the same thing but why did that guy get off Scott free? 

I also look back to where Tuuka got a Concussion early in the year. The was no retaliation on that one. So did the Boston players not see it? Did they not see the reply. I’m referencing the Matheson incident here. Even the big bad Bruins pick their spots 

21 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Have you seen Green answer every question asked of him by the press? Of course not.

True enough. It’s Greens style. I don’t hate em for it like other people do. Too much is read into interviews and has nothing to do with what’s said to the players. He doesn’t like to stir the pot or give the media something to munch on. I’m completely fine with that 

Until the Canucks get a real tough guy like Odjick, Brashear,...other teams will continue to take liberties on our star Elias. I hope it's before Elias is taken out seriously like last year when he was slammed down to the ice, the Canucks first priority should be to get tougher! the playoffs will be all about this, too much fancy playing and not near enuf retribution.

Suggestions: 1) Bench Ericsson for good (he only floats around and scores if there's an empty net and won't even try to hit the opponent)

2) Myers should use his size to move the opponnents' offense from the front of the net and to lay crushing checks, he plays like he's not allowed to hit!

3) Virtanen should stop trying to be fancy and giving the puck up more than he should to the opp'n, this gives the opposition many chances they should not get

5 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

True enough. It’s Greens style. I don’t hate em for it like other people do.

It's awesome. High time a coach held the cards to his chest here.

5 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Too much is read into interviews and has nothing to do with what’s said to the players. He doesn’t like to stir the pot or give the media something to munch on. I’m completely fine with that 

Fair enough.

• Cheers 1