The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Boston Bruins | Feb. 04, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Another certainty? Vancouver has it's best player laid out with a late hit (and yes he came back in) and does nothing to send a message to the opposing team that it's unacceptable.

yeah, that bugs me a lot. I don't know what the solution is, the team and coach seem determined to take the high road... problem is the NHL doesn't reward the high road. 

• Upvote 2

Just realized this guy is 5 foot 9 - 175lbs -and looks like my newspaper delivery boy.  Even Stecher should be able to rough this kid up a bit.  Problem is the Canucks cant beat the Bruins in the alley if the game got out of hand with retribution.

Next game vs Bruins is at the end of the next home stand Feb 22. Will be interesting to see the tone of the game after Miller's "they aint nothing special" comment and the hit Petey took.

matt.JPG

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Darius said:

Green usually doesnt spout off about reffing or his players getting run at.  Part of me thinks hes sending a subtle message to benning to better equip his team to deal with these situations.

Benning has equipped the team with more than enough players capable of stepping up for their teammates. Roussel, Benn, Myers, Miller. In the past, Benning had Gudbranson, who went from being a terror to those who went after his teammates, to a player reluctant to do so. This isn't on Benning at all.

I know Benning went out and got Ferland and Roussel etc...but IMHO the days of those guys being the guys that stir the pot when it comes to deterring or roughing up the other team are done. 

Have you watched the Battle of Alberta by chance?

They both have concussion histories and will probably be apprehensive to get involved in situations where the gloves may come off.

Well, then hopefully Benning can make a deal to move them along and acquire more durable players.

Ferland can still be a good player, i just dont expect him to be the guy that keeps the other team honest.

He doesn't have to fight, but if he can't even throw a hit without dealing with symptoms, I'm thinking he'll hang them up.

Dont know what the answer is here. Seems like we have had this problem for years...

No one seems to know. This team has really been reluctant to fight back since Bieksa was traded. Guddy was good for a few heavyweight bouts, but once injuries piled up on the defense, he was way out of his paygrade and was chastised for it.

• Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

We should dress MacEwen and scratch Roussel to send a message. 

Honestly, Roussels job is not even secure on this roster. He could very well be a trade bait in a couple weeks.

I read an article this past week - someone interviewed Roussel - he admitted he hasn't been playing as well as last year - still recovering and conditioning from surgery. Said he felt different now then he did a month ago but still felt he wasn't up to speed. Maybe it was in the Athletic - not sure

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

The hit on Pettersson less than a minute into the game and the lack of a penalty to the Bruins for interference/roughing was absolute crap.  You cannot hit a guy 4 seconds after he passes the puck.

You think that was good reffing?

I beg to differ.

The lack of response from us set the tone for the game and that’s why we lost, they were a heavy team.

20 minutes ago, Darius said:

Just realized this guy is 5 foot 9 - 175lbs -and looks like my newspaper delivery boy.

Monster!

Even Stecher should be able to rough this kid up a bit.  Problem is the Canucks cant beat the Bruins in the alley if the game got out of hand with retribution.

Why is that? The Canucks overall are a larger team on paper than the Bruins. 2011, when Lucic, McQuaid, Boychuk, Ference, Horton, and Chara victimized the team is a long time ago. The only player who physically dominated the Canucks from that timeframe is Chara. He's 42. Is he still that much of a threat?

Next game vs Bruins is at the end of the next home stand Feb 22. Will be interesting to see the tone of the game after Miller's "they aint nothing special" comment and the hit Petey took.

matt.JPG

I expect Green to continue with his "do nothing in the game, and complain to the press after" routine. The fact that a pipsqueak like this clown was able to lay out Pettersson with impunity is embarrassing. I'm sure other teams are watching and will take the same liberties.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

The lack of response from us set the tone for the game and that’s why we lost, they were a heavy team.

Boston gets away with crap like this against every team. Nice having legacy hires in the NHL offices. 

But if Jim could somehow find us our own version of a Tom Wilson, well that would be a nice addition. 

3 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Yet, in actual fact, the Canucks are the larger team overall. The Bruins just have an identity. The Canucks? Hmmm....

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Benning has equipped the team with more than enough players capable of stepping up for their teammates. Roussel, Benn, Myers, Miller. In the past, Benning had Gudbranson, who went from being a terror to those who went after his teammates, to a player reluctant to do so. This isn't on Benning at all.

Have you watched the Battle of Alberta by chance?

Well, then hopefully Benning can make a deal to move them along and acquire more durable players.

He doesn't have to fight, but if he can't even throw a hit without dealing with symptoms, I'm thinking he'll hang them up.

No one seems to know. This team has really been reluctant to fight back since Bieksa was traded. Guddy was good for a few heavyweight bouts, but once injuries piled up on the defense, he was way out of his paygrade and was chastised for it.

Benning has tried to equip the team with players that can step up, but a couple of the main guys Ferland and Rouss, probably arent capable of that anymore.   Both guys are probably a punch away from long term IR.  This isnt Bennings fault.    I dont know where this idea that Benn and Myers are guys that step up when the going gets rough...neither guy is known as that type of player IMHO and probably just as reluctant to drop the gloves as a guy like Pearson or Miller.

But this doesnt excuse the team from not sending some sort of message back after EP got hit. Gryz is smaller than EP, and just as light, someone should have done something.

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

Boston gets away with crap like this against every team. Nice having legacy hires in the NHL offices. 

But if Jim could somehow find us our own version of a Tom Wilson, well that would be a nice addition. 

What would the point be? Every player who's been a hellraiser on their previous team seems neutered when they get here.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Darius said:

Benning has tried to equip the team with players that can step up, but a couple of the main guys Ferland and Rouss, probably arent capable of that anymore.   Both guys are probably a punch away from long term IR.  This isnt Bennings fault.    I dont know where this idea that Benn and Myers are guys that step up when the going gets rough...neither guy is known as that type of player IMHO and probably just as reluctant to drop the gloves as a guy like Pearson or Miller.

Look up on YouTube. Both Myers and Benn have had numerous fights.  

But this doesnt excuse the team from not sending some sort of message back after EP got hit. Gryz is smaller than EP, and just as light, someone should have done something.

There's a definite pattern at play. Fact is, the Canucks don't have a pack mentality at all. It's pretty obvious.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

What would the point be? Every player who's been a hellraiser on their previous team seems neutered when they get here.

not sure we've really had a feared physical presence for a very long time Phil. Who's the last one? 

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Look up on YouTube. Both Myers and Benn have had numerous fights.  

There's a definite pattern at play.

You thinking Green is at fault?  Not sure about that....the guy was pretty hard nosed when he played.  Not saying you are wrong...just thinking its not in most of these guys' dna to be the guy that stirs up the hornets nest in response to a cheap play.

Edit: looked up Benn and Meyer's career fights just out of curiosity

Benn 32 years old 5 career fights

Meyers 30 years old 7 career fights

These guys fight sparsely .... at his rate Bo Horvat will probably have as many when he hits his 30s.

Edited by Darius