The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Boston Bruins | Feb. 04, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

not sure we've really had a feared physical presence for a very long time Phil. Who's the last one? 

The last player who really made players adjust their entry into the Canucks zone was Erik Gudbranson. I remember watching games when he was paired with Edler, and the forwards for the opposing team would do their best to avoid going into the corners, as Edler helped back up Guddy positionally, and Guddy emboldened Edler to play with an edge more.

I seem to remember Vancouver manhandling Boston, especially the top line to the 8-2 a couple of seasons ago.

• Cheers 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

The last player who really made players adjust their entry into the Canucks zone was Erik Gudbranson. I remember watching games when he was paired with Edler, and the forwards for the opposing team would do their best to avoid going into the corners, as Edler helped back up Guddy positionally, and Guddy emboldened Edler to play with an edge more.

I seem to remember Vancouver manhandling Boston, especially the top line to the 8-2 a couple of seasons ago.

true, but I remember a lot of complaining about Guddy to that he wasn't being physical enough! we're a fickle fan base.

I just don't know who Jim can bring in... we have no one in the system thats a deterrent, so its not from within. Schaller is a waste of space, he easily could have stepped up but didn't. Dunno Phil, with Green's approach I just don't see a solution. 

14 minutes ago, Darius said:

You thinking Green is at fault?  Not sure about that....the guy was pretty hard nosed when he played.  Not saying you are wrong...just thinking its not in most of these guys' dna to be the guy that stirs up the hornets nest in response to a cheap play.

Green is clearly doing some things very well, as indicated by where the Canucks are standings wise. He's no slouch.

That being said, there needs to be a team mentality to support each other when threatened or attacked on the ice. How many players outside of Chara are really the type to stir the hornet's nest either? Most of the real brutes from the 2011 team are gone.

14 minutes ago, Darius said:

Edit: looked up Benn and Meyer's career fights just out of curiosity

Benn 32 years old 5 career fights

Meyers 30 years old 7 career fights

These guys fight sparsely .... at his rate Bo Horvat will probably have as many when he hits his 30s.

They do fight though. Didn't say they were Lucic or Colton Orr, but they have the capacity and wherewithal to do so if called upon. Same with Horvat. It's not even about fighting though. Why did no one return the favor and slam Grlyzkzksj into the boards enough to send him to the bench? That, to me, would have been more than adequate. Or how about crushing Marchand or Pastrnak? One simple, brutally effective hit, and it wouldn't even have to be a late on like the scumbag kid made.

• Cheers 2

I was hoping for a bit of tweaks in the lines. Who knows though Greens done this before and the lines are different come game time.

Im ok with the first PP line staying the same. Those are our best players, they’d  gotta figure it out again. They just are not quick enough.. It’s just a matter off time I think.  I’m sure they’re frustrated as much as anyone. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Green is clearly doing some things very well, as indicated by where the Canucks are standings wise. He's no slouch.

That being said, there needs to be a team mentality to support each other when threatened or attacked on the ice. How many players outside of Chara are really the type to stir the hornet's nest either? Most of the real brutes from the 2011 team are gone.

They do fight though. Didn't say they were Lucic or Colton Orr, but they have the capacity and wherewithal to do so if called upon. Same with Horvat. It's not even about fighting though. Why did no one return the favor and slam Grlyzkzksj into the boards enough to send him to the bench? That, to me, would have been more than adequate. Or how about crushing Marchand or Pastrnak? One simple, brutally effective hit, and it wouldn't even have to be a late on like the scumbag kid made.

Virtanen did smoke him a couple times right after. If anyone missed it.. I know not the response some like to see but it wasn’t totally forgotten about either 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

yeah im not sure if we can rely on Meyrs/Benn etc to be the counter to teams like boston...other than that  agree on a lot of your points.  another guy id like to see step up is jake.  He doesnt have to fight, but he has the ability to deliver punishing clean hits.  again, no excuse for not at leasting giving the five foot nine 175lb gryz a face wash or two after delivering the late hit.

• Upvote 1

I'm glad to see that more and more of the fanbase are getting fed up with this "turn the other cheek" philosophy that has tortured this team for years now.
I remember last season after the Matheson hit on Petey, I along with many others were outraged with the teams lack of push back and lack of guts to do anything about it... Yet there were still many on here that defended the team and coaching staff and actually bought into their excuse that they "didn't see what happened". It seems there are fewer and fewer of those same fans jumping to the defense of the team and coaching staff today.

When does the team and ownership say "enough is enough"? The idea that the the league and the refs will do the right thing and protect its players is an absolute joke. We see inconsistent reffing and inconsistent disciplinary decisions on a nightly basis. There comes a time where you have to take destiny into your own hands as a team. You have to protect yourselves and not expect others to do it for you. I liken it to my experience with bullying as an ESL kid... Did teachers or the school do anything that would stop kids from picking on me? Going to them put a bigger target on my back. What solved it was my parents signing me up for martial arts, teaching me to defend myself. I shut down any bullying and any future bullying relatively quickly and never worried about it again. I took my destiny into my own hands. I didn't depend on others to protect me. 
The team needs to do the same (obv not take martial arts lol) and learn to defend themselves by sticking up for eachother. All for one and one for all. 

The canucks reputation around the league is that you can play dirty and try and hurt their best players and in response there will be NOTHING. Not even in an uptick in clean physical play. Just a continuance of soft flag football style play. Take a penalty? No worries, you'll probably get a couple breakaways shorthanded while this team fails to get a shot on net. THIS HAS TO CHANGE if we hope to have any success in the playoffs.
I dont want to hear excuses about us not having the players to fight.. We have more than enough guys with the size and grit to at the very least up the physicality and throw weight around when needed. Charlie mcavoy mugged beagle for running into rask.. We glare and cry post game when some puny punk takes out our franchise young centre. Pathetic.

I dont know who is pushing this passive philosophy But i have a hard time believing aquallini or benning are okay with this lack of response. Travis Ghandi needs a reality check, or he can gtfo this team. 

/rant 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

true, but I remember a lot of complaining about Guddy to that he wasn't being physical enough! we're a fickle fan base.

At times, he was very effective (aforementioned Boston game, Calgary home opener, taking on Martin, managing and manhandling a Tom Wilson attempting to mug him). Guddy brought it enough, but was seemingly the only one at times. It seems that players are more likely to react with truculence when they themselves are hit or attacked rather than when one of the young stars are. That's what was great about Schenn. He was always standing up for the kids.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I just don't know who Jim can bring in... we have no one in the system thats a deterrent, so its not from within. Schaller is a waste of space, he easily could have stepped up but didn't. Dunno Phil, with Green's approach I just don't see a solution. 

It seems that there is an issue somewhere in between Benning bringing someone on to the team, to what they do on the ice.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Darius said:

yeah im not sure if we can rely on Meyrs/Benn etc to be the counter to teams like boston...other than that  agree on a lot of your points.  another guy id like to see step up is jake.  He doesnt have to fight, but he has the ability to deliver punishing clean hits.  again, no excuse for not at leasting giving the five foot nine 175lb gryz a face wash or two after delivering the late hit.

Virtanen did hit him twice fairly hard. He didn’t go out of position to do it. And he also gave him a good shot it the back after. Am I the only one that saw this lol

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

At times, he was very effective (aforementioned Boston game, Calgary home opener, taking on Martin, managing and manhandling a Tom Wilson attempting to mug him). Guddy brought it enough, but was seemingly the only one at times. It seems that players are more likely to react with truculence when they themselves are hit or attacked rather than when one of the young stars are. That's what was great about Schenn. He was always standing up for the kids.

It seems that there is an issue somewhere in between Benning bringing someone on to the team, to what they do on the ice.

I liked Guddy, so if you can convince ANA to retain 50% of his contract in a deal for Stecher I'm all in! 

• Cheers 3

36 minutes ago, Kushman said:

I'm glad to see that more and more of the fanbase are getting fed up with this "turn the other cheek" philosophy that has tortured this team for years now.
I remember last season after the Matheson hit on Petey, I along with many others were outraged with the teams lack of push back and lack of guts to do anything about it... Yet there were still many on here that defended the team and coaching staff and actually bought into their excuse that they "didn't see what happened". It seems there are fewer and fewer of those same fans jumping to the defense of the team and coaching staff today.

When does the team and ownership say "enough is enough"? The idea that the the league and the refs will do the right thing and protect its players is an absolute joke. We see inconsistent reffing and inconsistent disciplinary decisions on a nightly basis. There comes a time where you have to take destiny into your own hands as a team. You have to protect yourselves and not expect others to do it for you. I liken it to my experience with bullying as an ESL kid... Did teachers or the school do anything that would stop kids from picking on me? Going to them put a bigger target on my back. What solved it was my parents signing me up for martial arts, teaching me to defend myself. I shut down any bullying and any future bullying relatively quickly and never worried about it again. I took my destiny into my own hands. I didn't depend on others to protect me. 
The team needs to do the same (obv not take martial arts lol) and learn to defend themselves by sticking up for eachother. All for one and one for all. 

The canucks reputation around the league is that you can play dirty and try and hurt their best players and in response there will be NOTHING. Not even in an uptick in clean physical play. Just a continuance of soft flag football style play. Take a penalty? No worries, you'll probably get a couple breakaways shorthanded while this team fails to get a shot on net. THIS HAS TO CHANGE if we hope to have any success in the playoffs.
I dont want to hear excuses about us not having the players to fight.. We have more than enough guys with the size and grit to at the very least up the physicality and throw weight around when needed. Charlie mcavoy mugged beagle for running into rask.. We glare and cry post game when some puny punk takes out our franchise young centre. Pathetic.

I dont know who is pushing this passive philosophy But i have a hard time believing aquallini or benning are okay with this lack of response. Travis Ghandi needs a reality check, or he can gtfo this team. 

/rant 

Not sure where u get that idea.

Coaches can't just tell a guy to go after someone in today's hockey.

He looked disgusted at the hit and addressed it in the post-game interview. 

He was prolly calling out the team to show some response. 

Coaches don't preach players to not look after each other out there... lol

Before u start believing something with so much zeal, at least have some proof and understanding. 

There were some underwhelming response afterwards but ya I do think a little more push back would be nice. 

But our team isn't really built like that. One key guy like Bo or even Myers get injured at this point of the season, we can kiss playoffs goodbye.

And some fans will be quick to turn against the team, have their pitchforks up high and support firing of everyone in the organization. 

I do agree tho. Our pushback was lackadaisical. But blaming coaching for that lack of response, u don't understand pro hockey. 

It is quite convenient tho to dump everything on a single person to make the problem look like an easy fix. 

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

Okay, I'll take a stab at it.

they lose we win ..we gain 2 points = better playoff chance ---- Right.

they lose, we lose ..we gain zero points = no change in playoff chance --- Right, and we don't lose ground, and they don't gain any ground. On to the next game.

However, if they win and the Canucks lose = downturn in the team's playoff chances which makes either of the other two options preferable to this third option.

regards,  G.

it is February 5th 

So the whole point is moot

if we go on a 5 game slide and Minnesota (currently 12th in the conference) goes on a 5 games streak we will be tied with Minnesota

I'm win 2288 on this one------ time to ditch the loser mentality

Seems to still be a lot of Canucks fans suffering from PTSD from 2011.

What happened last night was a rested team taking advantage of a tired team on the road. Happens all the time. We don’t need to make it into some big thing about toughness or the “big bad Bruins”.

If they do this to us at home and there’s no response then I’ll be concerned. But until then people need to relax and stop dumping on the team. You’re making our fan base look bad.

• Cheers 3

20 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

What happened last night was a rested team taking advantage of a tired team on the road. Happens all the time. We don’t need to make it into some big thing about toughness or the “big bad Bruins”.

If they do this to us at home and there’s no response then I’ll be concerned. But until then people need to relax and stop dumping on the team. You’re making our fan base look bad.

Too exhausted to stick up for EP?! 

:picard:

• Cheers 3

“I’m not getting into that. I said what I had to say about the hit last night. I’m not going to talk about it anymore.” - Travis Green when asked if his expectations will change for the way his team responds if hits on Pettersson continue to go uncalled

Why not talk about it, Green? 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

“I’m not getting into that. I said what I had to say about the hit last night. I’m not going to talk about it anymore.” - Travis Green when asked if his expectations will change for the way his team responds if hits on Pettersson continue to go uncalled

Why not talk about it, Green? 

Probably doesn’t want to get fined. Can’t say anything about the league or the refs. Look what happened to Torts

26 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Nice try, but no. You respond when it happens, not at a home game. That’s ridiculous. 

What is with the defensive fans that take such umbrage to other fans asking questions about deficiencies in the teams game? You realize that people are free to do so, right?

The tired trope that what’s said on the CDC makes the fan base look bad is laughable. You honestly think they’re are thousands of fans of other teams checking out CDC? Now if someone lost it on camera at a game, or tipped over some cop cars in their downtown core, yeah I’d say that’s a bad look on the fan base. What’s said here isn’t. 

• Upvote 1