The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wet'suwet'en Protests and Blockades in BC

DonLever

22 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Well i did spend 5 years working with at risk aborginal youth......and various outside agencies they were involved with.......

I was involved with  at risk  teen walking  tours of the DTES for a few years as well.   I agree that we all need to find ways to contribute. 

How old are you again

• Wat 1

7 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I don't understand your point.

Do you want to live in a country that does not allow peaceful protest ? Really... maybe you should move to China .......

how in the hell are these peaceful. blocking roads so people cant go to work, school appointments, pushing news journalist at the legislature, showing a feather in the face of a MP. 

10 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

I don't understand your point.

Do you want to live in a country that does not allow peaceful protest ? Really... maybe you should move to China .......

Peaceful?  News last night was saying police were having difficulty having ambulances get in and out of VGH because of some of the problems.  Get the **** out of the way of emergency vehicles, that could be lives being hanging on by seconds that need to get to VGH.  Move off to the side which many did which I appreciate and that was better but just need to stop getting in the way of emergency vehicles. 

They are blocking many roads and train tracks.  You're not only causing animosity, but grid locks, endangering trains, etc. 

Edited by Russ

9 hours ago, Squamfan said:

@kingofsurrey

many of the protestors are white. do these people have jobs to go to ?

I'd like to know where the 85% number comes from. I don't dispute it, just curious how its so accurate.

This has to be the dumbest protest I've seen in my lifetime. There's so much good that can come from this project, not the least of which is 2,800 band members and their futures impacted. Actual reconciliation and self governance can't happen until people have real economic prospects. I'd love to see a dozen projects like this and in other resource areas that provides real futures for BC first nations people. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, BPA said:

I heard they were kicking cars for getting too close or trying to squeeze through the protest line.

Not sure if true or not. 

true. My wife had to abandon her car on 8th ave last night trying to get home, said it was freaky. She also said it looked like most of them were just teenagers. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

true. My wife had to abandon her car on 8th ave last night trying to get home, said it was freaky. She also said it looked like most of them were just teenagers. 

Police should have roadblocks on the outer perimeter to prevent additional cars to the backlog.  Then try to get cars stuck out one by one.

Edit:  sorry to hear your wife got caught in that mess.

Edited by BPA

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

Police should have roadblocks on the outer perimeter to prevent additional cars to the backlog.  Then try to get cars stuck out one by one.

cambie and broadway is so busy and such a small area I don't think that was possible. Luckily we live in false creek so it wasn't a far walk for her to just leave it and we went back for it later and no one hassled her personally so thats good. 

But man did it mess up local traffic and as others pointed out VGH was nearly impossible to get to. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd like to know where the 85% number comes from. I don't dispute it, just curious how its so accurate.

This has to be the dumbest protest I've seen in my lifetime. There's so much good that can come from this project, not the least of which is 2,800 band members and their futures impacted. Actual reconciliation and self governance can't happen until people have real economic prospects. I'd love to see a dozen projects like this and in other resource areas that provides real futures for BC first nations people.

I don't buy into this "paid protester" thing, but unfortunately, there is a segment of society that is only too willing to pick up a sign and protest something in "solidarity" with a group they really know very little about.

While I don't believe American energy companies are paying anyone to block roads or rail lines, I also doubt that a lot of these protesters know that the project has the support of the majority of the peoples affected. In fact, I'm sure they believe the opposite: That the poor natives are (once again) being oppressed by the evil government and if they have to block an intersection 700 miles away to draw attention to it, then that's what they'll do.

The "dispute" is not even to do with the governments vs the First Nations. It's a power struggle between the Hereditary Chiefs, who are tasked with protecting the culture and traditions of their nation and the Band Councils, who are tasked with the everyday governing of the nations and (hopefully) improving the lives of it's members.

I believe that if more of these protesters were aware of this simple fact, there would be a lot less of them.

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't buy into this "paid protester" thing, but unfortunately, there is a segment of society that is only too willing to pick up a sign and protest something in "solidarity" with a group they really know very little about.

While I don't believe American energy companies are paying anyone to block roads or rail lines, I also doubt that a lot of these protesters know that the project has the support of the majority of the peoples affected. In fact, I'm sure they believe the opposite: That the poor natives are (once again) being oppressed by the evil government and if they have to block an intersection 700 miles away to draw attention to it, then that's what they'll do.

The "dispute" is not even to do with the governments vs the First Nations. It's a power struggle between the Hereditary Chiefs, who are tasked with protecting the culture and traditions of their nation and the Band Councils, who are tasked with the everyday governing of the nations and (hopefully) improving the lives of it's members.

I believe that if more of these protesters were aware of this simple fact, there would be a lot less of them.

I don't buy into the paid protestor theory either. Maybe an organizer or two. But the rest of it they get for free. I think there are a lot of people like our friend King that want to have a feel good moment and don't really care about the economic consequences to real people. 

I think people do realize that the elected bands want it, I just don't think they care. Thats why they are harping on the hereditary part so much and distorting what that all means. There's a story in the Globe and Mail this morning with a woman claiming one of the hereditary chiefs stole her great aunts title. So its a pretty messed up situation to say the least. 

BC always has a 'no to everything' crowd. Hopefully the BC and federal governments don't cave into this BS.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't buy into the paid protestor theory either. Maybe an organizer or two. But the rest of it they get for free. I think there are a lot of people like our friend King that want to have a feel good moment and don't really care about the economic consequences to real people. 

I think people do realize that the elected bands want it, I just don't think they care. Thats why they are harping on the hereditary part so much and distorting what that all means. There's a story in the Globe and Mail this morning with a woman claiming one of the hereditary chiefs stole her great aunts title. So its a pretty messed up situation to say the least. 

BC always has a 'no to everything' crowd. Hopefully the BC and federal governments don't cave into this BS.

I suppose an easy way to describe it (although it's a bit simplistic) is a Monarchy vs a Democracy. It's just strange that so many seem to be supporting the Monarchy...:unsure:

22 minutes ago, BPA said:

Edit:  sorry to hear your wife got caught in that mess.

it wasn't that a big deal, just had to leave the car. She was wondering how people would get to VGH tho. 

Apparently it really messed up skytrain service as well. I don't think these kids are going to be generating much support for their cause. 

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I suppose an easy way to describe it (although it's a bit simplistic) is a Monarchy vs a Democracy. It's just strange that so many seem to be supporting the Monarchy...:unsure:

It is odd. But they only support it for the moment because of a temporary alignment with an anti natural gas feeling. They don't care at all about the majority of first nations people that want the project. 

I think its emblematic of how extreme things are getting on the left now. I have a hard time seeing a difference between the unthinking symbolism of being against anything with 'pipeline' in the name and what goes on with the right these days. 

And don't get too excited @Ryan Strome I'm not joining #wexit just yet. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1