The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wet'suwet'en Protests and Blockades in BC

DonLever

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

so's ignorance.

Whats your economic alternative for the 20 bands? please be specific. 

Those bands have been here for thoussands of years.... why should they risk  permanently poisoning their lands for quick buck.

Handouts are not the answer.   Indigenous owned and run businesses are a much bettter idea. 

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

Those bands have been here for thoussands of years.... why should they risk  permanently poisoning their lands for quick buck.

Handouts are not the answer.   Indigenous owned and run businesses are a much bettter idea. 

and how is that going to be funded King? what kind of project would provide that opportunity? 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

and how is that going to be funded King? what kind of project would provide that opportunity? 

About ITAC

https://indigenoustourism.ca/corporate/about-itac/

The purpose of the Indigenous Tourism Association of Canada (ITAC) is to improve the socio-economic situation of Indigenous people within the 10 provinces and 3 territories of Canada. ITAC does that through the provision of the following services to Indigenous tourism operators and communities, or those looking to start a cultural tourism business:

Fracking will make all of it meaningless with the earthquakes that will follow.  Dots are being connected and we're in a very sensitive earthquake zone.  Playing with fire.

We always think of "economics" as the be all to end all....but $$ matters little if we destroy our planet. 

This isn't about "you use oil so..." because the oil companies get richer and want to increase productivity that paves the way for that.  It's not about needing oil...it's about not increasing things that put our planet at risk and maybe pumping the brakes rather than opening floodgates.

I don't have the answers, but I know how I feel about it. 

And those slamming first nations people truly disgust me.  Wish Gino was here to set them all straight.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm wondering how many people commenting ITT have actually been to Wet'suwet'en territory.

Moricetown Canyon is pretty nice, but it's hardly a tourist mecca. Most folks who travel through are just on their way to PG from points West.

Grew up on western border (not sure if in or out). Can't say I have much desire to return  lol

40 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

About ITAC

https://indigenoustourism.ca/corporate/about-itac/

The purpose of the Indigenous Tourism Association of Canada (ITAC) is to improve the socio-economic situation of Indigenous people within the 10 provinces and 3 territories of Canada. ITAC does that through the provision of the following services to Indigenous tourism operators and communities, or those looking to start a cultural tourism business:

great. thats one thing. Whats next? 

natural resource development is an incredible opportunity for first nations people. You seem to want to kill it for what I see as a very selfish motivation on your part, some kind of misguided feel good moment. 

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I’m curious how the numbers look in each country with respect to aboriginal populations.  Disgraceful numbers in any event.  I’ve refrained from saying too much on this thread mainly because I’m woefully ignorant on the subject.

I have been searching for it but i have not found any side by side comparison as of yet. Good on them for publishing something like that as there are lot of ignorant people around.

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I’m curious how the numbers look in each country with respect to aboriginal populations.  Disgraceful numbers in any event.  I’ve refrained from saying too much on this thread mainly because I’m woefully ignorant on the subject.

Canada actually runs paralell to Australia over the last 25 years for treatment of and abuses against aboriginal/first nations members

I won't sugar coat it.  First nations peoples in canada are absolutely mistreated and a political football.  From band councils, elected and hereditary chiefs lining their pockets, to local views and general racism of a systemic sort and of course political parties paying lip service by "apologizing" for past issues and claiming more needs to be done before writing blank cheques that literally do nothing to solve the issues.

We, the US and Australia have the most mediocre and kind of aborrent records when it comes to how we treat the aboriginal/first nations members of our countries.  Trust me, until you've been to some bands in Northern Ontario, Manitoba and Sask you really just can't believe how bad it is.

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Grew up on western border (not sure if in or out). Can't say I have much desire to return  lol

Wet'suwet'un territory starts to merge with the Gitxsan around the Hazeltons. (My wife's band is in Hagwilget, which is near Old Hazelton. They consider themselves "more Wet'suwet'un than Gitxsan, but it's a mixture)

In fact, the area from Kitwanga in the West to Burns Lake in the East and communities to the North like Kispiox is often referred to a Gitxsan-Wet'suwet'un territory.

General rule of thumb is Gitxsan to the north and Wet'suwet'un to the south, with the Hazeltons as the rough dividing line.

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Wet'suwet'un territory starts to merge with the Gitxsan around the Hazeltons. (My wife's band is in Hagwilget, which is near Old Hazelton. They consider themselves "more Wet'suwet'un than Gitxsan, but it's a mixture)

In fact, the area from Kitwanga in the West to Burns Lake in the East and communities to the North like Kispiox is often referred to a Gitxsan-Wet'suwet'un territory.

General rule of thumb is Gitxsan to the north and Wet'suwet'un to the south, with the Hazeltons as the rough dividing line.

Crap, should have said eastern border  :picard:

Fort Fraser looks to be right around the boundary line on this map.

Image result for wet'suwet'en nation map

14 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Are you in Canada finding it odd the your media is basically ignoring the majority of Wet'suwet'un members who have agreed to the pipeline and stated they don't know who most of the protesters are?   

I have.

The protest lately seems more like an organized, well funded campaign and not some grassroots movement.  I wonder who might be benefiting from the delays?

On 2/10/2020 at 10:18 AM, Warhippy said:

No, no it isn't about money.  It's sad but not shocking people like you still exist when you make these claims.

it's not about money because the land holders have already agreed on land usage.  The money has already been agreed upon.  The fact you don't even know this but assume and state it is about money is ignorant and not even remotely shocking.

Again, educate yourself on who is holding things up and why.  I'll give you a hint, it is NOT the people who have given license to use their titled land to the Coastal Link project.

People like me, a small business owner who lives in Northern BC and see's these kinda disputes first hand constantly. I have first nations in my family and do not have a racist bone in my body. First nation people are getting lots of money and jobs as well as contracts for their businesses out of this deal, remember we have to earn the jobs or contracts they are not just givin to us because of our race. If there was no money in it for them they would all be protesting so don't give me that BS thats its not about the money. I am self educated about these issues I live it all the time. I know who holds up the issues right now and its because they want a bigger piece for themselves and there not happy with the deal there leaders made, well too bad I am rarely happy with the deals my leaders make and not even happy with who my leaders are but I'm not blockading container yards and railways am I? The only thing that is remotely shocking is you calling me ignorant when you have no idea who I am.

13 hours ago, beni said:

Not sure if these have been posted im not checking through 8 pages. Lets be honest, do major players in other countries want our resources to hit the market? Helllllll no. Just my 2c 

Wow what a shock

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Are you in Canada finding it odd the your media is basically ignoring the majority of Wet'suwet'un members who have agreed to the pipeline and stated they don't know who most of the protesters are?   

Not really.

I've seem plenty of articles saying the project has the support of the bands, but protesters are always going to suck up all of the oxygen.

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Fracking will make all of it meaningless with the earthquakes that will follow.  Dots are being connected and we're in a very sensitive earthquake zone.  Playing with fire.

We always think of "economics" as the be all to end all....but $$ matters little if we destroy our planet. 

This isn't about "you use oil so..." because the oil companies get richer and want to increase productivity that paves the way for that.  It's not about needing oil...it's about not increasing things that put our planet at risk and maybe pumping the brakes rather than opening floodgates.

I don't have the answers, but I know how I feel about it. 

And those slamming first nations people truly disgust me.  Wish Gino was here to set them all straight.

considering our neighbour does a lot of fracking in the very sensitive Zone you are talkin about   I guess it really makes little difference..

1 hour ago, goalie13 said:

I have.

The protest lately seems more like an organized, well funded campaign and not some grassroots movement.  I wonder who might be benefiting from the delays?

Actually they have been that way for a while and the Americans love it. Canada is so resource rich and yet the americans have cost Alberta and the rest of Canada so much.