The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Who Would Give The Most For Demko? Markstrom?

Lazurus

At some point the decision has to be made, Demko or Markstrom.

The rules of the Seattle expansion require the Canucks to make one available if they are on the roster.

This is a decision that may need to made very soon regardless that the expansion draft is still 15 months away.

The reason is that Markstrom needs a new contract this year, if the Canucks can meet his demands, a raise, a big one, which impacts the cap significantly, long term, which at age 30 does the team want a 6+ mil 36 yr old goalie and a NMC, which he has stated already he wants stability for his family, the NMC means Demko is exposed.

Right now there many teams looking for either a new starter or very good backup to be a starter in the future, that's Demko. Markstrom is a goalie of the now and his value is massive, even as a coming FA. Moving him might or will have an effect on this group of players and game results, maybe.

While that is very important for this season, next year has to be considered at some time as well as the following season. The Seattle expansion will not have an effect on the cap because the NHL has that money outside of hockey revenues and the NHLPA might not increase the amount of esgrow the players are paying by increasing the cap.

No matter what the "if"s are out there the cap plays a major role in the team's make up, Eriksson retires after his bonus, still leaves a big cap hit. If the team got Ottawa to take him they will want a sweetener, TO gave up a 1rst to make cap space that has happened 5 or 6 times where the price was the player and a 1rst and more to make cap space. So the Canucks cost could be the bonus - 3 mil, retention - 2 mil, a draft pick, by the market at least a 2nd or a "A" prospect/player, maybe if Guadette the 2nd isn't in there.

However the cap is managed it will still come down to Seattle selecting a minimum of 3 goalies and which are better than Demko that will be available?

Should the team wait and then just react and claim it was a surprise? Trade some draft picks or players to prevent Seattle from drafting him? This is a scenario that can or will happen.

Besides If Markstrom is resigned will Demko even want to be here anymore? If he demands a trade then return plummets and the team cannot have another 10+ mil tied up in goalies or at least they shouldn't, resigning Markstrom also indicates that the Canucks will have to move Demko.

Posters will respond with "don't worry about it just enjoy the moment" I am, but I want more than a moment and this is just one issue, a big one for the future, this is not being negative it is being thoughtful about the team's future, like so many post about future prospects that might play, this is a situation that isn't a guess, it is a reality.

This forum is for Armchair GMing, my thought is to wait another week, of course I cannot talk to Demko's or Markstrom's people but this team cannot spend more of the future for the status quo. IMO, Demko is the goalie of the future, Markstrom is playing so well there are issues being covered up by his play but even as a rental I would put him on the market with conditional escalating returns, prospect and a pick, the pick goes up if that team makes the conference finals/playoffs and if he signs with that team.

Start playing Demko as the starter for the remainder of the season and maybe take a goalie back as part of the trade to be his backup.

I am not sure the Canucks will have enough cap space to sign Markstrom anyway without giving away more sweetners, they are only under the cap now thanks to LTIR and next year the bonuses hit reducing the cap even more.

There a lot of teams relying on high paid 35+ goalies that have an open window now and cap space, their stars are aging and their markets are very win oriented.

Minnesota, San Jose, Los Angeles, New Jersey, Nashville, maybe Vegas 5 mil there is like 7 mil here, Edmonton will have cap space, Calgary, Buffalo. Some of these are competitors for Markstrom in FA, some could be trade partners now, all will have more cap space than the Canucks several do now or have tax advantages, Buffalo might give up an arm now, it is an out of conference trade too, Still Detroit, Ottawa or Dallas.

This is not being negative, it is what it is. Demko or Markstrom. If the Canucks re-sign Markstrom then they will have most of next season to arrange a trade of Demko if they do not do one at the TDL.

Edited by Lazurus
  • Cheers 3

20 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

The rules of the Seattle expansion require the Canucks to make one available if they are on the roster.

This is a decision that may need to made very soon regardless that the expansion draft is still 15 months away.

The reason is that Markstrom needs a new contract this year, if the Canucks can meet his demands, a raise, a big one, which impacts the cap significantly, long term, which at age 30 does the team want a 6+ mil 36 yr old goalie and a NMC, which he has stated already he wants stability for his family, the NMC means Demko is exposed.

Right now there many teams looking for either a new starter or very good backup to be a starter in the future, that's Demko. Markstrom is a goalie of the now and his value is massive, even as a coming FA. Moving him might or will have an effect on this group of players and game results, maybe.

While that is very important for this season, next year has to be considered at some time as well as the following season. The Seattle expansion will not have an effect on the cap because the NHL has that money outside of hockey revenues and the NHLPA might not increase the amount of esgrow the players are paying by increasing the cap.

No matter what the "if"s are out there the cap plays a major role in the team's make up, Eriksson retires after his bonus, still leaves a big cap hit. If the team got Ottawa to take him they will want a sweetener, TO gave up a 1rst to make cap space that has happened 5 or 6 times where the price was the player and a 1rst and more to make cap space. So the Canucks cost could be the bonus - 3 mil, retention - 2 mil, a draft pick, by the market at least a 2nd or a "A" prospect/player, maybe if Guadette the 2nd isn't in there.

However the cap is managed it will still come down to Seattle selecting a minimum of 3 goalies and which are better than Demko that will be available?

Should the wait and then just react and claim it was a surprise? Trade some draft picks or players to prevent Seattle from drafting him? What because the is a senario that will happen.

Besides If Markstrom is resigned will Demko even want to be here anymore? If he demands a trade the return plummets and the team cannot have another 10+ mil tied up in goalies or at least they shouldn't.

Posters will respond with "don't worry about it just enjoy the moment" I am, but I want more than a moment and this is just one issue, a big one for the future, this is not being negative it is being thoughtful about the team's future, like so many post about future prospects that might play, this is a situation that isn't a guess, it is a reality.

This forum is for Armchair GMing, my thought is to wait another week, of course I cannot talk to Demko's or Markstrom's people but this team cannot spend more of the future for the status quo. IMO, Demko is the goalie of the future, Markstrom is playing so well there are issues being covered up by his play but even as a rental I would put him on the market with conditional escalating returns, prospect and a pick, the pick goes up if that team makes the conference finals/playoffs and if he signs with that team.

Start playing Demko as the starter for the remainder of the season and maybe take a goaile back as part of the trade to be his backup.

I am not sure the Canucks have enough cap space to sign Markstrom anyway, they are only under the cap now thanks to LTIR and next year the bonuses hit reducing the cap even more.

There a lot of teams relying on high paid 35+ goalies that have an open window now and cap space, their stars are aging and their markets are very win oriented.

Minnesota, San Jose, Los Angeles, New Jersey, Nashville, maybe Vegas 5 mil there is like 7 mil here, Edmonton will have cap space, Calgary, Buffalo. Some of these are competitors for Markstrom in FA, some could be trade partners now, all will have more cap space than the Canucks several do now or have tax advantages, Buffalo might give up an arm now, it is an out of conference trade too, Still Detroit, Ottawa or Dallas.

This is not being negative, it is what it is. Demko or Markstrom. If the Canucks re-sign Markstrom then they will have most of next season to arrange a trade of Demko if they do not do one at the TDL.

When Benning negotiates new contract for Markstrom say 4 years x 5.5 million..

Very important to have trade clause in Markstroms  new contract for Seattle expansion draft..By May 2021 Vancouver will have to decide on the goalie they choose to trade... Either Demko 24 or Markstrom 30 will bring back a top draft pick and prospect... We have Dipietro 20 that will backup either guy for 2022 season..

Edited by wildcam
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Very important to have trade clause in Markstroms  new contract for Seattle expansion draft..By May 2021 Vancouver will have to decide on the goalie they choose to trade... Either Demko 24 or Markstrom 30 will bring back a top draft pick and prospect... We have Dipietro 20 that will backup either guy for 2022 season..

Marky will want to hit on his last contract, minimum over 6 mil with term and clause, too many other teams can offer that and if he gets the clause the decision is made on Demko right then so other teams will know they have to trade him. It is too bad but anything other than trading Markstrom puts the Canucks in a bad or weak trade position after the TDL.

I agree DiPietro is the future backup for ? But he is not at risk of losing for nothing.

It's a nearly impossible situation.

Hypothatically, you could sign Markstrom and hold on to Demko and Seattle takes someone else in the expansion draft.  You could trade Demko and he could go on to win the Conn Smythe, or he could have his game come apart like Schneider.  You could sign Markstrom and trade Demko, but Markstrom declines after this season.  You just never know.  Goalies are the hardest position to predict.  Rarely is there a sure bet. 

Personally, I lean towards signing Markstrom (as long as the deal is affordable enough) and then let the chips fall where they may with the expansion draft.  Rarely can you get full value for a goalie on the trade market.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Canucks need to sign Markstrom before the trade deadline, or they loose most of their leverage. 

1 minute ago, goalie13 said:

It's a nearly impossible situation.

Hypothatically, you could sign Markstrom and hold on to Demko and Seattle takes someone else in the expansion draft.  You could trade Demko and he could go on to win the Conn Smythe, or he could have his game come apart like Schneider.  You could sign Markstrom and trade Demko, but Markstrom declines after this season.  You just never know.  Goalies are the hardest position to predict.  Rarely is there a sure bet. 

Personally, I lean towards signing Markstrom (as long as the deal is affordable enough) and then let the chips fall where they may with the expansion draft.  Rarely can you get full value for a goalie on the trade market.

The Seattle expansion will be who is better out there? Demko is sure to be one of the youngest top 3 available and who else would Seattle take from Vancouver?

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Canucks need to sign Markstrom before the trade deadline, or they loose most of their leverage. 

On both goalies for possible trades, damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Just cannot think of anyway the Canucks get out of this without costing a fortune, even if Seattle gets bought off, why would Demko want to stay? Another 4 or 5 years as a backup making millions less?

This was going to happen at some time anyway but the timing is now.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

The Seattle expansion will be who is better out there? Demko is sure to be one of the youngest top 3 available and who else would Seattle take from Vancouver?

On both goalies for possible trades, damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Just cannot think of anyway the Canucks get out of this without costing a fortune, even if Seattle gets bought off, why would Demko want to stay? Another 4 or 5 years as a backup making millions less?

This was going to happen at some time anyway but the timing is now.

In an ideal world, we sign Markstrom to a reasonable cap hit and expose him in the ED, if he gets claimed we go with Demko and Dipietro for the next 4-5 years. A full summer of Demko working with Ian clark and I think I would be confortable with Demko taking over the reigns as early as next year, with bringing in a solid backup.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

I hear ya, but if Seattle does take Demko then at least they aren't taking any one else.  The Canucks have to expose at least one goalie who is under contract in 2021-22.  Bachman and McIntyre are UFA at the end of the year.  I don't think Silovs, Kielly or DiPietro will count.  Maybe Kielly?

This situation sort of reminds me of the '93 draft when the Canucks traded for Vanbiesbrouck in order to protect both McLean and Whitmore.

I think the poster brings up an interesting debate and one, IMO, that should be dealt with sooner than later...…….

Today, Markstrom is playing lights out, but earlier this month Demko back stopped the Canucks to a 3 -1 victory over St. Louis

and looked perfectly in control of a hard fought game.

It is a perfect problem to have, if not for an unknown Cap and the Expansion draft.

To trade Markstrom or sign him, is only part of the question, as Demko's new contract, next year will still be up in the air,

and if Markstrom is traded, then Demko has new leverage, being the only true goalie on the club.

So, either way, we have a goaltending controversy!  LOL

To me, all things being equal, there are 2 questions...……….

1. Is 5 years of Markstrom worth more than 10 years of Demko?

2. Who gives us better cap control?

For me it is easy......for Benning, I am sure it is not!

the third question that comes to my mind, is...………..

3. Which goalie brings in the most return on a trade today? Because ultimately, we can not afford both goalies and

IMO, if you are going to trade a goalie, Trading him while he is doing well, gives us the biggest bang. 

The other thing that should be considered is, exactly what kind of return, does each goalie return? Obviously Markstrom brings more

than Demko, but Demko's contract being RFA, he guarantees a certain amount of control, as he can't just walk.

Value wise...……..Markstrom's value is a 1st and an prospect and Demko being a 1st, or a late first and a prospect, with Marky's return being a little 

more, being that he is having such an excellent season.

To me, Demko gives us the better advantage, long term, and I believe he is good enough to be a starter. I would eat this year, if I had to, to bring in the best return.

That is about it for me...……….

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

Should the team wait and then just react and claim it was a surprise? Trade some draft picks or players to prevent Seattle from drafting him? This is a scenario that can or will happen.

Besides If Markstrom is resigned will Demko even want to be here anymore? If he demands a trade then return plummets and the team cannot have another 10+ mil tied up in goalies or at least they shouldn't, resigning Markstrom also indicates that the Canucks will have to move Demko.

Start playing Demko as the starter for the remainder of the season and maybe take a goalie back as part of the trade to be his backup.

I am not sure the Canucks will have enough cap space to sign Markstrom anyway without giving away more sweetners, they are only under the cap now thanks to LTIR and next year the bonuses hit reducing the cap even more.

Decision won't be made till next summer. I think its most likely, that Benning will offer Seattle an extra draft pick to take the player that we want them to take.

As a note, Capfriendly.com has a really good simulator, where you can see exactly who is eligible vs exempt. We have LOTS of guys that we can "suggest" that Seattle take, and remember, we're not the only team that is going to have to expose a good up and coming goalie.

I would suggest that we try and give Markstrom a 1 year contract, perhaps inflated, so that he would be a UFA 3 weeks after the expansion draft. Would allow us to leave him exposed and protect Demko. I would think that Markstrom wants longer term security, but if we offered him 1 season at 7.5 million or even 8 million, with the understanding that we would negotiate a new deal for him after, closer to a 6 million overall cap hit? Tricky, but might be able to be done.

In terms of cap space, yes, we absolutely have the room to do this for next year, Benning has stated that he's comfortable with the cap space that we have. There will be other people who will be leaving this team during the summer.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Decision won't be made till next summer. I think its most likely, that Benning will offer Seattle an extra draft pick to take the player that we want them to take.

As a note, Capfriendly.com has a really good simulator, where you can see exactly who is eligible vs exempt. We have LOTS of guys that we can "suggest" that Seattle take, and remember, we're not the only team that is going to have to expose a good up and coming goalie.

I would suggest that we try and give Markstrom a 1 year contract, perhaps inflated, so that he would be a UFA 3 weeks after the expansion draft. Would allow us to leave him exposed and protect Demko. I would think that Markstrom wants longer term security, but if we offered him 1 season at 7.5 million or even 8 million, with the understanding that we would negotiate a new deal for him after, closer to a 6 million overall cap hit? Tricky, but might be able to be done.

In terms of cap space, yes, we absolutely have the room to do this for next year, Benning has stated that he's comfortable with the cap space that we have. There will be other people who will be leaving this team during the summer.

I am not so sure about this Vegas, as we know the cap now...………..

This is the perfect storm, I would be afraid of, if I was Benning...…...

1. a flat cap...……….no increase

2. Markstrom wanting more than 6.00 Million...………………...an 2.333 Million increase

3. Demko wanting more than 3.00 Million...…………………….an 2.000 Million increase

4. Virtanen wanting more than 3.50 Million...…………………...an 2.250 Million increase

5. Gaudette wanting more than 2.50 Million...………………….an 1.400 Million increase

6. Tanev wanting more than 6.00 Million...……………………...an 1.500 Million increase

7. Tryamkin wanting more than 2.5 Million...……………………an 2.500 Million increase

Total Increase   $11,900,000 Million increase

So even with a $500,000 per year variance on all contracts, and every contract is out by that $500,000

That is still...……..$8,900,000 Million increase

In a year that we should be saving some cap, for the next year, when Pettersson and Hughes contracts are up

This is not as simple as Benning or some on CDC are saying....something will have to give...…………………...

Eriksson's 6.00 million

Stecher's  2.325 million

Baertschi's 2.29 million

Schaller's 1.90 million....gone for sure

Total...………….12.500 Million

So yes, it could be done, but to are still stuck loosing something to move Eriksson's contract and something to protect Demko?

And then you are going to need another 12 to 14 Million the next year for Pettersson and Hughes...………….

It will be tight! and it will cost!...….but, yes, it could happen!

It will be interesting!

• Upvote 1

The way I see it is there are 62 goalies in the league

Marky I would say in the top 10 atm. Every team protects 1 goalie, and leaves one unprotected

Now that means 31 goalies available? is Demko a top 3 goalie in that lower class... only reason he gets picked up is due to him being a younger goalie and could be promising for their future

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Marky I would say in the top 10 atm. Every team protects 1 goalie, and leaves one unprotected

Now that means 31 goalies available? is Demko a top 3 goalie in that lower class... only reason he gets picked up is due to him being a younger goalie and could be promising for their future

In terms of value I would say he is definitely top 3 for backups in the NHL. Based on his age, performance, and potential. 

• Cheers 1

I feel that Markstrom is going to cost us in the ballpark of 5 years 7-7.5 million.  I see us keeping him and Demko through next season, and dealing Demko before the Expansion draft.  I expect that he will return a quality pick (25-35 range) or a quality prospect.  DiPietro gets the back up role , and When Markstrom is done at the end of his deal, he becomes the starter.  

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

I am not so sure about this Vegas, as we know the cap now...………..

This is the perfect storm, I would be afraid of, if I was Benning...…...

1. a flat cap...……….no increase

2. Markstrom wanting more than 6.00 Million...………………...an 2.333 Million increase

3. Demko wanting more than 3.00 Million...…………………….an 2.000 Million increase

4. Virtanen wanting more than 3.50 Million...…………………...an 2.250 Million increase

5. Gaudette wanting more than 2.50 Million...………………….an 1.400 Million increase

6. Tanev wanting more than 6.00 Million...……………………...an 1.500 Million increase

7. Tryamkin wanting more than 2.5 Million...……………………an 2.500 Million increase

Total Increase   $11,900,000 Million increase

So even with a $500,000 per year variance on all contracts, and every contract is out by that $500,000

That is still...……..$8,900,000 Million increase

In a year that we should be saving some cap, for the next year, when Pettersson and Hughes contracts are up

This is not as simple as Benning or some on CDC are saying....something will have to give...…………………...

Eriksson's 6.00 million

Stecher's  2.325 million

Baertschi's 2.29 million

Schaller's 1.90 million....gone for sure

Total...………….12.500 Million

So yes, it could be done, but to are still stuck loosing something to move Eriksson's contract and something to protect Demko?

And then you are going to need another 12 to 14 Million the next year for Pettersson and Hughes...………….

It will be tight! and it will cost!...….but, yes, it could happen!

It will be interesting!

No question that it will be tight, but I really believe that Eriksson will retire after this season. He didn't really make this team this year, and although he's had a few stretches where he looks competent out there, they don't last. No other team is going to take Eriksson on trade as we saw last summer, especially with it expected that the cap will remain fairly flat. Personally on this, I think it will rise by about 1 million, I think the NHL will do that to pacify teams.

Schaller won't be back, but is UFA anyway, so doesn't factor into next season's cap.

Baerstchi won't be back (either traded during summer or bought out, but I think he has some value during summer when teams are experimenting with improvements to their lineup.

Stecher I think gets traded during summer, but might also be around for camp as competition. If we put him on the market, there are enough teams out there who will see his speed and puck moving abilities as an upgrade, I don't think we would have trouble moving him.

As it sits right now, we have about 18 million next season without any moves 

Markstrom - I agree with you, about 6 million. I think he will sign for that to stay with Vancouver

Demko - still signed for another season, no need to do anything there

Virtanen - I think you and I are pretty close, I think he signs about 2.5 million bridge / show me deal.

Gaudette - I think signs a 2 million bridge / show me deal. He is not eligible for offer sheet, he doesn't have that much leverage.

Tanev - I agree with you at 6 million. I think he likes it here and will likely stay.

Tryamkin - I think 2.5 - 3 million is a fair range for him as well

That puts us at 19 million on just resigning existing players. If I'm right about the 1 million increase, that would put us about right.

Now, Subtract Eriksson, hopefully retires freeing up 6 million, worst case, to Utica for 1.075 break

Subtract Baerstchi 3.366 million

That gives us about 4.5 million (9.6 if Eriksson does retire) for call ups etc, not including LTIR, which we ALWAYS have, can't remember the last season we didn't.

And, that's not including that fact that if we bring Tryamkin in, either someone will get traded unless the inevitable LTIR strikes our defense as well.

Yes, tight, but workable.

• Cheers 1

Spring 2020 - Markstrom re-signs, Canucks make the 2nd round of the playoffs and give TB the 1st

2020/21 season - Markstrom/Demko tandem, Hoglander and Tryamkin join, Canucks make the conference finals

Summer 2021 - Benning makes a deal with SEA to leave Demko in VAN

Fall 2021 - Seattle team originates, Podkolzin and Woo join

Summer 2022 - Canucks win the Cup

Draft 2022 - Demko traded for a 1st

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, the grinder said:

maybe Benning will give up a pick , a prospect or a roster player to seattle to pick someone else off the team ,instead of the one of goalies , there is thread once a month about this already 

This will be the plan.  It might hurt a little bit but I could see something like Lind or a pick to make them take a player like Stecher (Assuming he is still here).  Yes that sounds like it would hurt but in reality, we have Joulevi, Tryamkin, Woo, Rafferty, Rathbone, FA that could take Stecher's place and Podkolzin, Hoglander, PA that could take Lind's spot if he keeps developing.  Keeping Markstrom and Demko should be a top priority. 

Personally as much as I like DiPietro, I don't think a goalie without size will last in the NHL these days.  Maybe I actually answered my own question that we would just offer them DiPietro to take nobody else.

Edited by Kobayashi Maru
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, goalie13 said:

I hear ya, but if Seattle does take Demko then at least they aren't taking any one else.  The Canucks have to expose at least one goalie who is under contract in 2021-22.  Bachman and McIntyre are UFA at the end of the year.  I don't think Silovs, Kielly or DiPietro will count.  Maybe Kielly?

This situation sort of reminds me of the '93 draft when the Canucks traded for Vanbiesbrouck in order to protect both McLean and Whitmore.

After the protected who is there for them to take that the team can't live without?

1 hour ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

There are about 20 teams right now that would not mind an upgrade in goal, either as a starter or backup. TO's playoffs chances just might depend on a good backup, the guy they got isn't up Demko or Markstrom standards.

Even if Eriksson retires the cap hit is over 5 mil for next year much lower the year after.

One other thing is the bonuses, claw backs and buyouts on the books, - 9+ mil off the cap before adding one player to it.

Demko will be the best player option from the Canucks for Seattle, the rest can be protected.

The big salary dump to make it under the cap is another thread all by itself, ie; Now - 30,000.00+ cap space, 14 mil on LTIR