The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

For those of you who really love music, I bring you Christian Hand

Rate this topic

Kragar

I like Rick Beato on YT, he does some good breakdowns on "What makes this song Great.'  It adds another level when these guys isolate tracks and you get to hear things that are practically unaudible, ex. there's a clean guitar track in the intro of Rush's Limelight that I never noticed.  I'll check this out when I get home, thanks.  

Edited by Tre Mac
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

I like Rick Beato on YT, he does some good breakdowns on "What makes this song Great.'  It adds another level when these guys isolate tracks and you get to hear things that are practically unaudible, ex. there's a clean guitar track in the intro of Rush's Limelight that I never noticed.  I'll check this out when I get home, thanks.  

I’ve watched both of these guys and no offence to Christian Hand, but Rick Beato’s long running YouTube series is sheer absolute brilliance in its detail and analysis while Hand sounds like he’s delivering a podcast in his extra bedroom. And this is not to disparage Hand’s passion and expertise! It’s just that when you experience Beato’s break downs, topical discussions, guest hosts/players, and little kid like joy in hearing and sharing the songs you’ll be hooked forever! (And he’s a kick ass player to boot). The last two songs he has hi lighted in the past month are Superstition by Stevie Wonder and Carry On Wayward Son by Kansas. Start with those two and then try not to binge watch the rest of his catalogue of casts. 

• Cheers 1

Thank you. i'm going to check it out tonight. Reminds me of Brave New Waves on CBC radio. I don't know if that show is still going but i used to listen to it regularly 20-25 years ago when Patti Schmidt was the host, they had a team of researchers and had an hour long profile of an artist or band mid way through the show. At the end of the show they played an entire album. She would do interviews now and then too. This show came on at midnight and played mostly non-commercial underground music, hip hop, jazz, improvisational and electro. You'd hear things like Ennio Morricone (Legendary Composer that scored hundreds of movies including the Spaghetti westerns with Clint Eastwood.) in the Italian Improvisers Group. You'd hear things like Sun Ra, John Zorn, Bill Laswell and some great hip hop like Jungle Bros and De La Soul. That was an educational show like this one. Definately going to check this out tonight.

Edited by Timbermen