The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Montreal Canadiens | Feb. 25, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I also love the footage of Petterson after practice shooting. 

Dude is a fierce competitor. 

Mtl got away with a lot of extra shots and grabs yesterday on him. Instead of throwing up his hands and complaining, hes out there working even harder. 

When he puts on more mass and muscle, it's not gonna be fair for his opposition. 

also this year, I think he was trying new blades...he sure falls down a lot....maybe he should go back to the other blades...

10 hours ago, aGENT said:

While I'm not going to argue that they can be better defensively (they can), I'll take 3 shots from the perimeter to two shots in high danger areas, all day, every day.

The shot clock does not tell the entire story.

Agreed

That’s why I was curious to see scoring chances .... must more telling stat 

4 hours ago, stawns said:

You don't think a top 15 pick, another pick in the 2-3 round, a solid depth player and the cap space to sign TT has some logic to it? 

He's yet to play 70 games in a season and his goals/82 game pace had decreased significantly each year.  His value is still very high right now and it's a big risk to not move him, imo.

No. You sir, are a frolicking funion if you think a pick is better than a successful goal scorer. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Moose Nuckle said:

No. You sir, are a frolicking funion if you think a pick is better than a successful goal scorer. 

A top 15 pick

A 2nd or 3rd rounder

A 5-6 dman

Cap space for toffoli.

Two roster players, one of whom is a better all around player, to help now, a 2-3 rounder down the road a top 15 pick?  The reality is, Boeser has yet to play 70 games, yet to hit 30 goals and his goal scoring has fallen off a cliff since his rookie year. 

His goals per 82 games has gone 38 to 31 to 23 and he can't stay healthy.  Luckily he built a reputation that allows to sell high.  He may very well turn it around, but with his skating and injury issues he may.  I'd prefer to sell high for the big return and be able to keep TT.  I get that I'm in the minority though

• Wat 1

5 hours ago, Pete M said:

physical marks from getting hacked, cross checked and hit....too bad the bottom 6 don't have marks on them from protecting and giving pay back.

Yeah but this is how it’ll be from here on in... Seeing Roussel doing a vanishing act hasn’t helped. Motte has been playing hard, but we could be done with more beef in the line up

• Upvote 1

On 2/25/2020 at 7:31 PM, Dr. Crossbar said:

Exactly! I'm most concerned about games like this. We don't have s problem getting up for the good teams because we need something to overcome and something to shoot for. Hopefully at the base of it all righr now they don't want to let Marky down ... because he'd be giving 150%.

but we do have problems getting up for good teams. Remember getting spanked in Tampa and Boston? They got embarassed in Boston then got up for the rematch, while Boston did not.

The problem is, they get tough when Petey gets roughed up, (which is better than not getting tough when Petey gets roughed up) and they get up after being embarassed, but what really needs to start happening is they need to take it to teams without re -acting. Run them over like Domi did Hughes before Domi runs Hughes, shut down Boston before Boston shuts us out 4-0. 

In this league the worst team can beat the best team, and the Canucks are not either.

Sticking up for each other is one step

and getting up for a team that embarassed you is another step

getting up on teams and putting your foot to their throat is the next step.

59 minutes ago, stawns said:

A top 15 pick

A 2nd or 3rd rounder

A 5-6 dman

Cap space for toffoli.

Two roster players, one of whom is a better all around player, to help now, a 2-3 rounder down the road a top 15 pick?  The reality is, Boeser has yet to play 70 games, yet to hit 30 goals and his goal scoring has fallen off a cliff since his rookie year. 

His goals per 82 games has gone 38 to 31 to 23 and he can't stay healthy.  Luckily he built a reputation that allows to sell high.  He may very well turn it around, but with his skating and injury issues he may.  I'd prefer to sell high for the big return and be able to keep TT.  I get that I'm in the minority though

A crappy defender and 2 maybes or a 23yo ~30 goal scorer?

Jesus you probably wanted to trade virtanen, thought Miller would suck, wish we would have drafted bouchard and thought goldobin should play on our 1st line. 

Edited by Moose Nuckle
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Moose Nuckle said:

A crappy defender and 2 maybes or a 23yo ~30 goal scorer?

Jesus you probably wanted to trade virtanen, thought Miller would suck, wish we would have drafted bouchard and thought goldobin should play on our 1st line. 

I'd say a top 15 is a pretty solid bet with JBs drafting ability and you win with balance and depth players like a dependable 5-6 dman.

I'd counter that it's just as likely injuries are going to hamper Boes' career than it is JB doesn't get a top 6 fwd or top 4 dman with a top 15 pick 

10 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Liked what we saw from Gaudette yesterday. Thought he was in a bit of a lull, in recent weeks. When him & Jake get rolling, they seem like pretty good linemates. Down the road, like to see a bigger body on that line's LW.

I've read that sentiment a few times on this board.

Gaudette has 13 points in 22 games since new years.

he had a 1/7 stint in early january and one other 3 game dry spell. 

Otherwise he has consistently put up points

since mid January he is 12\15

pretty good for a rookie

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, bree2 said:

he is also 27 been in the league a lot longer and was on a Stanley cup team, of course he has more experience than Brock who just turned 23.   really not  fair to compare them, but lets compare this! before Brock got injured  he had 45 points and when Toffoli came here he had 33 points. 

I don't mean to bash Brock, but he also played most of the season with Miller and Petey and on one of the best PP units in the league. This is also a team that plays a fairly wide-open style.  LA has become more of a low-scoring team the past two seasons and I would think playing there when they are as bad as they've gotten after being a regular cup contender made the game harder for everybody. So it makes sense that Brock had eight more points. Honestly playing on that line should have gotten him more. I like Brock and understand he's still developing, just saying that in this case the rental is an improvement. Since this is supposedly the leading edge of our window I wouldn't be crushed if the Canucks gave Toffoli a contract and looked to move Brock.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Darius said:

i would like to see zone entry stats.  Im sure Jake does well.   i dont think Brock is not capable of zone entries etc....

my point i guess is that offensive "eliteness" as you describe above, cannot be taught.

the defensive side of center ice can be worked on.

BB just turned 23...Do you think Miller always looked like the player he is now?  He drove his coaches nuts with his inconsistency and MIA acts during the first few years of his career.

yes but maybe getting traded helped Miller focus

maybe Tampa helped more than AV and the rangers ever would have

lots of good players have been traded

53 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd say a top 15 is a pretty solid bet with JBs drafting ability and you win with balance and depth players like a dependable 5-6 dman.

I'd counter that it's just as likely injuries are going to hamper Boes' career than it is JB doesn't get a top 6 fwd or top 4 dman with a top 15 pick 

So you'd trade boeser for 18yo juolevi and fantenburg?

Do you think juolevi and fantenburg get us a tkachuk?

Edited by Moose Nuckle
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, lmm said:

but we do have problems getting up for good teams. Remember getting spanked in Tampa and Boston? They got embarassed in Boston then got up for the rematch, while Boston did not.

The problem is, they get tough when Petey gets roughed up, (which is better than not getting tough when Petey gets roughed up) and they get up after being embarassed, but what really needs to start happening is they need to take it to teams without re -acting. Run them over like Domi did Hughes before Domi runs Hughes, shut down Boston before Boston shuts us out 4-0. 

In this league the worst team can beat the best team, and the Canucks are not either.

Sticking up for each other is one step

and getting up for a team that embarassed you is another step

getting up on teams and putting your foot to their throat is the next step.

Lol, rough everyone up and win every game, especially against the best teams. What a novel idea. :lol: