The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Montreal Canadiens | Feb. 25, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

18 hours ago, hlinkas wrister said:

The boys started the game half asleep and were behind the 8 ball early. After the time out they won the rest of the game 4-1 for a crucial road victory in a building that they traditionally have had troubles in. Who cares about shot differential, not a lot to complain about after that game imo.

It was their first win against Montreal in their building since December 9th, 2011. 

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Moose Nuckle said:

A crappy defender and 2 maybes or a 23yo ~30 goal scorer?

Jesus you probably wanted to trade virtanen, thought Miller would suck, wish we would have drafted bouchard and thought goldobin should play on our 1st line. 

Stawns is probably JV biggest fan, so that could not be further from the truth...

He and Jan does pose a legit question though. If we can't afford both BB and TT (all depends on TT continuing he great play, and JB not being able to make the roster moves needed), do we carry on with BB, who is only 23 and still developing, but no Toffoli , or do we go with TT who is 27/28 and plays the wing position perfectly + a 1st, a good prospect (maybe a cheap top defence prospect) and even an ad on? 

The question could be asked big time, if the team gets into the play offs, does very well without BB, but struggles defensively.

In that case Benning might not want to pay 7.5M for BB (a player still developing), if he can use the money to get in a player that may get us over the top next year.... 

I think/hope we'll find that JB will find space for both going forward, or at least BB. He has said before, he won't deal any of the youngsters, so I would be surprised, if that wasn't  the case.

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Moose Nuckle said:

So you'd trade boeser for 18yo juolevi and fantenburg?

Do you think juolevi and fantenburg get us a tkachuk?

I'd trade Boeser for a Podkolzin and a Tanev/Tryamkin etc, along with a Demko and the ability to sign Toffoli, absolutely.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, lmm said:

yes but maybe getting traded helped Miller focus

maybe Tampa helped more than AV and the rangers ever would have

lots of good players have been traded

According to Brian Burke, who was a GM in Miller's draft year, everyone loved his physical attributes but he dropped because people questioned his mental makeup such as an inability to accept criticism. Some GMs saw him as kind of uncoachable. He has obviously overcome those faults in his game and become a leader on this young team. It wasn't the trade that made Miller grow up, it was growing up and playing on a championship caliber team with world class players who were a lot better than he was. When Stamkos tells you to get to a spot for a pass, or dump and chase harder, or backcheck harder, you do it.

• Huggy Bear 1

34 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

According to Brian Burke, who was a GM in Miller's draft year, everyone loved his physical attributes but he dropped because people questioned his mental makeup such as an inability to accept criticism. Some GMs saw him as kind of uncoachable. He has obviously overcome those faults in his game and become a leader on this young team. It wasn't the trade that made Miller grow up, it was growing up and playing on a championship caliber team with world class players who were a lot better than he was. When Stamkos tells you to get to a spot for a pass, or dump and chase harder, or backcheck harder, you do it.

I am not sure I am following the dots here.

I heard AV reference difficulty coaching JT in NY

but you seem to be saying that JT just grew up on his own

and 

that Stamkos taught him how to play harder

are you saying he would be the same player he is today if he were never traded from NY?

or 

the different surroundings in Tampa aided his growth?

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

Donald Trump Stable Genius GIF

with a name like Straws, I always thought you would look like that

oh wait , I have been pronouncing your name wrong all this time.

Please accept my apology

Stawns, do you mind if I keep thinking of you as Straws

7 hours ago, spook007 said:

Stawns is probably JV biggest fan, so that could not be further from the truth...

He and Jan does pose a legit question though. If we can't afford both BB and TT (all depends on TT continuing he great play, and JB not being able to make the roster moves needed), do we carry on with BB, who is only 23 and still developing, but no Toffoli , or do we go with TT who is 27/28 and plays the wing position perfectly + a 1st, a good prospect (maybe a cheap top defence prospect) and even an ad on? 

The question could be asked big time, if the team gets into the play offs, does very well without BB, but struggles defensively.

In that case Benning might not want to pay 7.5M for BB (a player still developing), if he can use the money to get in a player that may get us over the top next year.... 

I think/hope we'll find that JB will find space for both going forward, or at least BB. He has said before, he won't deal any of the youngsters, so I would be surprised, if that wasn't  the case.

No it isn't a legitimate question, in fact it's preposterous to insinuate at all that BB should be moved. 

6 hours ago, stawns said:

I'd trade Boeser for a Podkolzin and a Tanev/Tryamkin etc, along with a Demko and the ability to sign Toffoli, absolutely.

So you'd trade him for the best case scenario and ignore the fact that the odds of that happening are probably close to 5%. Glad you aren't in charge Haha.

Would you trade him for Griffin Reinhart and Poolparty? That's what you'll more likely get. 

Hint: The answer is you don't trade him.

Edited by Moose Nuckle

15 minutes ago, Moose Nuckle said:

No it isn't a legitimate question, in fact it's preposterous to insinuate at all that BB should be moved. 

Disagree... If we had cap space and could get Kaapo Kakko +a first + a defender for BB , should it not at least be considered. Or if offered a Dahlin + a 1st + a defender, surely it should be considered, not saying they should take it, but definitely consider it.

Again I don't want BB to be traded, and I don't think at all he will be traded, but nobody is immune NTC's aside... except possibly Hughes and EP

Edited by spook007
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Disagree... If we had cap space and could get Kaapo Kakko +a first + a defender for BB , should it not at least be considered. Or if offered a Dahlin + a 1st + a defender, surely it should be considered, not saying they should take it, but definitely consider it.

Again I don't want BB to be traded, and I don't think at all he will be traded, but nobody is immune NTC's aside... except possibly Hughes and EP

Hahaha what a terrible proposal

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

You are 100% correct.  The only untouchables on our team are Petey and Hughes.  And I’d do Bess for Hiskanen all day, every day.  

• Haha 1