The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We Need & Deserve This Final Test

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

7 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

If he doesn't redeem himself, they'd better pay up for JM, pdq.

I think they were going to have to pay JM regardless.  I was hoping that Tying Demko to LE and sending them to Ottawa would be our out.  He is blowing that big time for us right now, along with our entire season.

16 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

The Flamers(2018-19 season) is a pretty good case study/example for our current bunch.

Everyone would agree they had a great reg season. Tonnes of guys lighting it up, Gio wins Norris, etc...Now I believe the PO's left a bitter taste in their fan's mouths. Only guy that showed up seemed to be Smith..& they couldn't even find the bread/cap? to keep the guy.

We could find some similarities with their ordeal, but it goes to show how important it is to finish a season off(even if you lose) playing a decent brand of puck. IF we'd made the PO's with JM healthy(missing no games at all), maybe our play may have been dismal, like the aforementioned Flamers? Can't say, but JM was covering other weaknesses, it would appear.

So I say celebrate the fine individual stats/performance of our top guys(JM, JTM, EP & QH); but we've gotta do our utmost to build a balanced, competitive, hard-working identity.

It may take until next season to put all these lessons to proper use.

I agree with your post 100%.  This is a young team that is learning how to deal with adversity.  JM has already developed this side of his game hence the consistent play he found this year.   To me, we are already playing with house money because we are competing for a playoff spot... As painful as it is, experience is being built right now.  The only reservations I have, are if we don't make PO's, will that lessen our chances of resigning Toffoli/Markstrom?  Not saying resigning either or both is the best thing to do (based on $ and term) but more just having the choice to do so (would they want to?).  Also, though Markstrom has proven to be a high end starter in this league, we haven't yet seen how he performs in the playoffs...

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

I agree with your post 100%.  This is a young team that is learning how to deal with adversity.  JM has already developed this side of his game hence the consistent play he found this year.   To me, we are already playing with house money because we are competing for a playoff spot... As painful as it is, experience is being built right now.  The only reservation I have, is if we don't make PO's, will that lessen our chances of resigning Toffoli/Markstrom?  Not saying resigning either or both is the best thing to do (based on $ and term) but more just having the choice to do so (would they want to?).

Yeah, well-stated. To your last point, I'm optimistic based upon the talent/charisma of our younger core. Saw TT talkin w/EP yesterday, in-game. Would say newer guys must realize not only are our main kids talented, but they're understated & modest blokes. As a Van fan, love this point. Maybe it's just my age, but I've grown rather tired of the blathering, overpaid, arrogant athlete, within this 24/7, all-seeing/knowing & calculated tech-era.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Yeah, well-stated. To your last point, I'm optimistic based upon the talent/charisma of our younger core. Saw TT talkin w/EP yesterday, in-game. Would say newer guys must realize not only are our main kids talented, but they're understated & modest blokes. As a Van fan, love this point. Maybe it's just my age, but I've grown rather tired of the blathering, overpaid, arrogant athlete, within this 24/7, all-seeing/knowing & calculated tech-era.

Again, I agree... I see it takes a curtain mix of personalities to make a great team.  Our 2011 team had a few to many big ego yapping kinda guys... And somewhat overcompensated for our very understated (egoless) Sedins.  Now we have a team of gentlemen with some grit and growing skill... But how many personalities with fire do we have?  JT seems to be that type... Markstrom seems to be as well.  Maybe Roussel but regressing and not part of the core.  Finishing off the season McEwen maybe? Not sure if we have enough yet... Waiting on Podz and maybe Hogs as they to me might really complete the essential makeup to win.

I just prefer the St.Louis model... I know... Convenient right?!  But really, they are a bunch of hard working in your face tough to play against guys that just grind you into the ground WITHOUT the cheap stuff... They play clean AND hard.  

I think our make-up is close to there's except we have more skill but less size and grit at this point.  Not asking for an identical team to theirs just the base fundamentals.

My question to you is... Do you think that Horvat was the right captain choice?  Even if not do you see him growing into a good/great captain?

Edited by Hogs & Podz

4 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Again, I agree... I see it takes a curtain mix of personalities to make a great team.  Our 2011 team had a few to many big ego yapping kinda guys... And somewhat overcompensated for our very understated (egoless) Sedins.  Now we have a team of gentlemen with some grit and growing skill... But how many personalities with fire do we have?  JT seems to be that type... Markstrom seems to be as well.  Maybe Roussel but regressing and not part of the core.  Finishing off the season McEwen maybe? Not sure if we have enough yet... Waiting on Podz and maybe Hogs as they to me might really complete the essential makeup to win.

I just prefer the St.Louis model... I know... Convenient right?!  But really, they are a bunch of hard working in your face tough to play against guys that just grind you into the ground WITHOUT the cheap stuff... They play clean AND hard.  

I think our make-up is close to there's except we have more skill but less size and grit at this point.  Not asking for an identical team to theirs just the base fundamentals.

My question to you is... Do you think that Horvat was the right captain choice?  Even if not do you see him growing into a good/great captain?

I sure don't, would have easier to pin the C on a vet and go through this year and next even to find out who the captain should be.

1 minute ago, Westcoasting said:

I sure don't, would have easier to pin the C on a vet and go through this year and next even to find out who the captain should be.

It appears to be weighing heavy on him.  I think he's done well at times and faltered too.  Right now, I'd love to see him put this team on his shoulders a will this team to the playoffs.  Like he did against Boston... To soon?  In his make-up?  Not sure yet.

I agree they could have waited this season with staying with the A's on his, Tanev, Edler... Even JT but... Well, we'll see if he can take this tough time and rise to the challenge.  

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Yeah, I do. Like how he provides a link to the mentoring of the twins. Doesn't seem to have any unseemly ego. Works hard, & plays the game honestly. Seems to be respected by opponents as much as teammates.

Good honest scrap with Coyle the other night. Waits for the guy to get his gloves off. Doesn't pick lightweights. You'll never feel integrity is compromised, when the team leader carries himself this way.

When Hank & Danny are behind the selection, you have to know it's a solid choice.

edit: One final pt, I feel team is (halfway?) transitioning into the next wave/gen of team. In a yr or two, as this evolution has progressed(perhaps 80-90% done), I'll guess Bo's leadership will become more assertive & forceful. With many older vets on team, he's likely wise enough(despite relatively young) to not overplay that hand, just yet. Perhaps Hank has passed such wisdom to him, along the way?

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
  • Cheers 4

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Yeah, I do. Like how he provides a link to the mentoring of the twins. Doesn't seem to have any unseemly ego. Works hard, & plays the game honestly. Seems to be respected by opponents as much as teammates.

Good honest scrap with Coyle the other night. Waits for the guy to get his gloves off. Doesn't pick lightweights. You'll never feel integrity is compromised, when the team leader carries himself this way.

When Hank & Danny are behind the selection, you have to know it's a solid choice.

Agree here... Maybe an Iginla type of leader... We can hope!

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

edit: One final pt, I feel team is (halfway?) transitioning into the next wave/gen of team. In a yr or two, as this evolution has progressed(perhaps 80-90% done), I'll guess Bo's leadership will become more assertive & forceful. With many older vets on team, he's likely wise enough(despite relatively young) to not overplay that hand, just yet. Perhaps Hank has passed such wisdom to him, along the way?

awesome point!  Never thought of this.  Very interesting... Looking towards the long game.  Yah... That's exciting.  Love the way this team is being built.

• Cheers 1

On 3/3/2020 at 7:51 AM, Westcoasting said:

It was a good time to start putting our key youth in important roles. Bet Bo will be even more comfortable by next Sept

• Cheers 1

On 3/2/2020 at 7:22 AM, Kevin Biestra said:

As for good old Ryan Walter, I also had no clue what he was making.  Pretty forgotten now like Mike Foligno and Reed Larson and Mel Bridgman but those kinds of guys had great careers.

One guy that I think was making peanuts was Ronning though.  Quinn very stupidly let him go a year later because he didn't want to pay him even three quarters of what he was worth.  Quinn's worst decision ever perhaps and Ronning went on to have an entire career post-Canucks.

Never understood this either - he was a great second line center and with our wingers we had a very good top six with him in it.  Maybe because Linden was moved to center and excelled at it?  If you look back at how many goals we scored with him in the lineup those years, we never scored as many after - 346 I think was the high water mark in 92-93.    And he was often close to the leader board for points too.   Reminded me of radar from Mash, was a little water-bug out there and really was built like a little tank for his height.   I'd argue that it was his single best move as well, just as important to our team as picking Bure (Mommesso and Courtnal and Ronning was a giant treasure box for that team).   What a waste letting him go.  Think he scored 85 one year for us....don't think Linden ever did that...and he played on the second line...only the Sedins, Naslund, Bertuzzi,, Mogilny, Bure, Sundstrom, Smyl (once), and Tanti (once 86) managed more.  Went on to play 8 more years mostly for a fledgling PHX team and did quite well with little to work with.   One of the best 7th rounders...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Two things really stand out for me lately. 

One is that JM should really be a lesson for us all especially when Demko is being criticised. Prior to Marky entering the NHL he was touted as the best goaly outside the nhl. Now at 30 and having been in the league 9 yrs he just started breaking out last year. 

Did it take him 9 yrs to develope or did his development just start 3 yrs ago?

The thing that kind of bothers me about this team is this. Let's imagine we miss the playoffs by one point, or we just get in by one point. If we miss the season was a fail right? If we're in a success right? Only one point difference.  

Last time I checked we were on pace for 10 points better than last year. 5 wins. 

We've added Miller and Hughes.  Two very big additions. Marky has been stellar and has carried this team more so than last year. How would you like to remove Myers, fantenburg and benn and put back Pouliot and MDZ. 

Pearson has also been great and we only added him late last year. 

For what 5 wins? 

That's what's been bugging me whether we make the PO or not 

Sum ting Wong. 

Also should mention we have had minimal injuries to Tanev and edler. 

We've had our number one defensive D in CT all year as opposed to him being out in previous years 

Edited by erkayloomeh
  • Upvote 1

The canucks certainly make it hard on themselves. We've beaten the best teams in the league (Caps, Bruins, Pens, Blues) and then no showed on basement teams and lost the gimmes. If we don't make the playoffs, I would say lack of motivation and effort during those games cost us the playoffs (and perhaps Green's job) . That being said, I don't see this team missing the playoffs. They've played with urgency the last 3 games. Beat the AVs in a must win and lost the 2 before that due to sheer bad luck and bounces. It's March and they are playing meaningful games. They've ratcheted up their intensity and will be playing some of their best hockey heading into the playoffs. They will also get some key pieces back for the playoffs. During this anxious couple of weeks, we've seen Roussel and Gaudette go from zero to hero. We've seen Big Mac emerge. We've seen Demko start off shakey to making out of this world saves. Id say these improvements alone is a blessing in disguise heading into the playoffs. Macewan, Roussel and Gaudette combined for 6 pts last game. Imagine if they can even just contribute one goal per game heading into the playoffs? You can then add in BB and Markstrom. 

Although we may lose in the first round this year, i think we have a 50/50 chance against any team in the West amd will give any team a run for their money. This again leads to great experience for our young core.

• Cheers 1

I've enjoyed this year a great deal, no matter what.

That's the point for me.

Go Canucks Go...we're in the race and that makes it a fun time of the year.

Win or lose, behind the boys.  It's not as easy as X and O or every team would be there.  Even IF we don't make it, I will watch every second of the playoffs because I love hockey.  It'll just send it through the roof with our team there and I am happy that we have a shot at it.  Wasn't a given with a team that's really just setting out and making moves to TRY to get there.  There are no guarantees...for any team. 

I've loved watching Quinn, Miller, Jake, Stech (yes), Petey, Bo, Motte, etc. etc.  Marky's been awesome and I have faith in Demko.

Let's do this..sun is shining and there's a hockey game on tonight.   This is a test...getting to/through the playoffs always is. And I love every second of it. 

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Never understood this either - he was a great second line center and with our wingers we had a very good top six with him in it.  Maybe because Linden was moved to center and excelled at it?  If you look back at how many goals we scored with him in the lineup those years, we never scored as many after - 346 I think was the high water mark in 92-93.    And he was often close to the leader board for points too.   Reminded me of radar from Mash, was a little water-bug out there and really was built like a little tank for his height.   I'd argue that it was his single best move as well, just as important to our team as picking Bure (Mommesso and Courtnal and Ronning was a giant treasure box for that team).   What a waste letting him go.  Think he scored 85 one year for us....don't think Linden ever did that...and he played on the second line...only the Sedins, Naslund, Bertuzzi,, Mogilny, Bure, Sundstrom, Smyl (once), and Tanti (once 86) managed more.  Went on to play 8 more years mostly for a fledgling PHX team and did quite well with little to work with.   One of the best 7th rounders...

Ronning actually left the Predators as their all-time scoring leader if I remember right.

I can see the Radar thing.  He reminded me of a short Michael Biehn from The Terminator.

On 3/8/2020 at 7:17 AM, IBatch said:

And yeah Linden topped out at 80 points, just managed it one time but he did get there.  I always felt a little bad for Troy Murray (99 points) and Mario Lemieux (199 points) and Jagr (149 points) just needing one more point.  Heh, Dave Andreychuk had 99 points twice but never 100.

Same with Tony Tanti who just needed one more goal two years in order to have five straight 40 goal seasons and be one of 15 players ever to do that.

But Linden got to his 80 and nobody can take that from him.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

If they can't make the PO's...

LTIR Baer & Fer. Promise Baer some FO opportunity(scouting in Switz, whatever?)

PLEASE buy out BS, if no one will take him!

Pkg(Stecher, Rouss &/or LouiE) to OTT for White. Then do the cheap buyout on him(next 10 yrs), next June 2021.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad