The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Columbus Blue Jackets | Mar. 01, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Maddogy said:

A few points: 

Fans need to stop being mentally weak like the team they are accusing the same of. J.T Miller and the Lightenings lost to Columbus in the playoffs last season. This year he picked himself up and is having his career year.

None of the Pacific Division teams played consistent this season except for maybe Edmonton. All teams in this division had major losing streaks, except for Edmonton. 

Difference between home record and road record is staggering. The coach can’t be exonerated for it.

This game is mostly positive because Canucks played well including the new goalie. They kept pushing in the third and lost on the “little things” that people mock Eriksson for.

Disappointment stems from some veterans.

Travis has to sit Roussel. It has been a couple month of average hockey from him.

May not be a bad thing to sneak into playoffs as an underdog, like Los Angeles and Boston did previously. 

The Canucks are in another down cycle right now. There will be a winning streak in March.

This young core is learning from losing and adversity. The Sedin Kesler team had to lose to Chicage multiple times to figure things out.

I have been vocal about Boeser needing a few more seasons to reach his potential. I hope watching Miller play gives him that ah-ha moment and help him figure out his new identity on the ice.

Since Bailey is called up on an Emergency basis we can't have a healthy scratch at this time so Roussel stays in for now. 

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Since Bailey is called up on an Emergency basis we can't have a healthy scratch at this time so Roussel stays in for now. 

Good point.

I have been defending T.G. decision to retain Eriksson on the 2nd line. I think fans have greatly undersold how average Roussel played during the past couple of months. He tries for sure, but he is not particular fast nor big. His offence has been underwhelming. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Where you are best to use real words, regardless if it is Harvard or not. 

Always though it was a strange word, why wouldn't you just say Regardless? It is a word used a lot though and it is in the dictionary so it's debatable wether it's a real word or just a nonsensical one. Irregardless of that, i'm not going to let it bother me or shame anyone for using it.  

• Cheers 1

3-1 lead in the 3rd period Sutter in an odd man rush decided not to shoot to bury it but back passed to create a turnover. He then took a penalty to start the meltdown. This is how it sucks and this team can never protect a lead. Can they ever learn?

28 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I’m not formal, I’m not politically correct, I’m and old school grumpy, hey you kids get off of my lawn, beer drinking fart but I’d love to see the only team I have ever cheered for since they entered the league win a cup and irregardless of whether irregardless is or isn’t a word (which the dictionary shows it is) Green will not get us there and the longer he is our coach the longer I have to wait, the more beer I drink and the grumpier I get.

if you type irregardless on Word it highlights it as incorrect.  I am old school grumpy as well and had to read 'Elements of Style' which was written in 1918.   Quote form modified  version below.   

Irregardless. There is no such word! The word is regardless. True, some dictionaries list irregardless as an option. If you read closely, however, you’ll notice it is typically indicated as being slang or colloquial (These dictionaries also list the word “crap” as well). Keep in mind, most dictionaries are descriptive, not proscriptive. Just because a word is listed, does not make you exempt from being considered an ignoramus if you use it in formal scientific writing.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Maddogy said:

Good point.

I have been defending T.G. decision to retain Eriksson on the 2nd line. I think fans have greatly undersold how average Roussel played during the past couple of months. He tries for sure, but he is not particular fast nor big. His offence has been underwhelming. 

Can’t point the fingers at Roussel.   Anyone coming into a season mid season without regular summer training will be hard pressed.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Wow, that’s what you’re picking on? Irregardless:

Is it correct to say irregardless?
Irregardless is a nonstandard synonym for regardless, which means “without concern as to advice, warning, or hardship,” or “heedless.” Its nonstandard status is due to the double negative construction of the prefix ir- with the suffix -less. ... The bottom line is that irregardless is indeed a word, albeit a clunky one.

This is for you.  Modified from Elements of Style - heard of it?    

Irregardless. There is no such word! The word is regardless. True, some dictionaries list irregardless as an option. If you read closely, however, you’ll notice it is typically indicated as being slang or colloquial (These dictionaries also list the word “crap” as well). Keep in mind, most dictionaries are descriptive, not proscriptive. Just because a word is listed, does not make you exempt from being considered an ignoramus if you use it in formal scientific writing.

11 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Where you are best to use real words, regardless if it is Harvard or not. 

So I’m being blasted for thinking irregardless is a real word and Green is a bad coach, I’ve proven irregardless is a real word, still you argue and Green is digging his own grave, quit trying so hard to be wrong and accept reality

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Can’t point the fingers at Roussel.   Anyone coming into a season mid season without regular summer training will be hard pressed.

Unfortunately Roussel is what he is this year and we just have to hope he picks up speed come playoff time if we make it in. 

2 minutes ago, samurai said:

if you type irregardless on Word it highlights it as incorrect.  I am old school grumpy as well and had to read 'Elements of Style' which was written in 1918.   Quote form modified  version below.   

Ok, this has now become a Green metaphor, irregardless irregardless is a word.

3 minutes ago, samurai said:

That was e really scientific post about hockey and beer.

• Haha 1

We must confess that of the charges leveled against irregardless, the one asserting that it is not actually a word puzzles us most. If irregardless is not a word, then what is it, and why is it exciting so many people who care about words? Of course it is a word. You may, if you like, refer to it as a bad word, a silly word, a word you don't like, or by any one of a number of other descriptors, but to deny that a specific collection of letters used by many people for hundreds of years to mean a definite thing is a word is to deny the obvious.