The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks vs Coyotes - Wednesday March 4th 2020 at 7:30 PST - "Please don't lose again" Edition

Rate this topic

Salter

35 minutes ago, rotiman187 said:

Hope he has a better showing than his last 3 starts. Or this is going to go downhill even further. 

Minus a couple soft ones I thought he was good enough for us to win.

Lets not make this about goaltending, that let’s the rest of the team off too easy. They have not been good enough for awhile now and without Markstrom their weaknesses are showing.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I think you missed his point. When teams are down, they try to regain momentum, often through a fight or big hit. ZM fought when he didn't need to and it gave CBJ the momentum they were looking for. It was ill-timed and unnecessary. 

15 minutes ago, IBatch said:

No I didn't miss the point.  He was saying this had something to do with the loss and I disagreed.    He didn't lose the fight, he did fine - neither was hurt everyone's ok.   Why make that a "turning point" in the game when it wasn't.    McEwen did everything he could do to stay relevant - nobody else can even do what he can do - the fact that other guys took two stupid lazy penalties .... was that his fault too? Or maybe Domingues for letting the goals in was his fault too.  Sorry I'm not buying it.  

I think you are both right in a way.

"ZM fought when he didn't need to" √

"Why make that a "turning point" in the game when it wasn't."  √

Staged fighting is a ridiculous unnecessary sideshow.  Maybe when a game is 6 - 1 and the losing team wants to send a message for the next game. But in a close game it does nothing or it does the same for both teams. And at the same time it risks injury for nothing (Ferland).   I'd rather have less staged fighting, and more actual in-game reaction fighting to a dirty hit, supporting team mates.

But no, the fight wasn't a turning point either.  It was a nothing burger, like all staged fights.  It was the two dumb penalties by our "foundational" pieces that killed that game for us.

• Cheers 4

11 minutes ago, J-23 said:

CBJ had no momentum after that fight.

You know when they did get momentum, when Edler left his side wide open, and Sutter and Roussel took those bonehead penalties.

The MacEwen fight take is such a reach.

It not just this and that. There are all the factors that happens in a loss. MacEwen sure didn’t help the cause. He’s young he’ll figure it out but that fight was dumb as much as those penalties.

At the same time nobodies blaming Roussel or Sutter if those penalties are killed off. Just the same as MacEwen Is hero in fans eyes because he fought if the did win. Team game,

everything counts 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I think you are both right in a way.

"ZM fought when he didn't need to" √

"Why make that a "turning point" in the game when it wasn't."  √

Staged fighting is a ridiculous unnecessary sideshow.  Maybe when a game is 6 - 1 and the losing team wants to send a message for the next game. But in a close game it does nothing or it does the same for both teams. And at the same time it risks injury for nothing (Ferland).   I'd rather have less staged fighting, and more actual in-game reaction fighting to a dirty hit, supporting team mates.

But no, the fight wasn't a turning point either.  It was a nothing burger, like all staged fights.  It was the two dumb penalties by our "foundational" pieces that killed that game for us.

Agreed. 

I really don't have much time for Sutter right now tbh. I know he is, for the most part, really responsible. But man he just doesn't seem to have the compete level that Green and Co have talked about. 

I do feel badly for Roussel though. He seems incredibly frustrated with his lack of explosiveness and power after that horrific knee injury. 

1 minute ago, Buzzcock10 said:

Agreed. 

I really don't have much time for Sutter right now tbh. I know he is, for the most part, really responsible. But man he just doesn't seem to have the compete level that Green and Co have talked about. 

I do feel badly for Roussel though. He seems incredibly frustrated with his lack of explosiveness and power after that horrific knee injury. 

Sutter is just way too soft.  He’s a stick reacher.  He’s never on the body.  Unless it’s Petey or Hughes, the team needs to be hard to play against.  And Green needs to insist on nothing less.  But will he?

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sutter is just way too soft.  He’s a stick reacher.  He’s never on the body.  Unless it’s Petey or Hughes, the team needs to be hard to play against.  And Green needs to insist on nothing less.  But will he?

A "stick reacher"  

:lol:  I may just use that.

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Minus a couple soft ones I thought he was good enough for us to win.

Lets not make this about goaltending, that let’s the rest of the team off too easy. They have not been good enough for awhile now and without Markstrom their weaknesses are showing.

It's also about keeping your team in it. I understand the team aneeds to play better starting with the defense. But those goals demkos been giving up at the start of the game and the first minute of the 3rd period are killers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Say what you will about Sutter, but he's had a solid season. 17 points and a plus player, despite starting in the defensive zone twice as often as the offensive zone.

He used to hit more though. Likely the injuries have caught up to him, and limited what he can do game-in, game-out. But he's been far more effective this season than Roussel.

Sutter doesn’t have to hit guys.  He just needs to be on the body more, and do less stick reaching.  He’s s plus only because he’s getting easier matchups.  Bo and Beagle are taking all the hard minutes now.  

7 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Say what you will about Sutter, but he's had a solid season. 17 points and a plus player, despite starting in the defensive zone twice as often as the offensive zone.

He used to hit more though. Likely the injuries have caught up to him, and limited what he can do game-in, game-out. But he's been far more effective this season than Roussel.

Don't get me wrong, I like Sutter. I especially like Sutter with a TOI under 15 mins. I just worry about the way his game will translate down the stretch here. It will be an incredible benefit if he can get up to the next gear for the last stretch and compete harder. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, rotiman187 said:

It's also about keeping your team in it. I understand the team aneeds to play better starting with the defense. But those goals demkos been giving up at the start of the game and the first minute of the 3rd period are killers.

They don’t help for sure but this is a team full of vets that need to step up and rally around their young goalie. It’s a lot of pressure being put on him right now.

If he can keep it to 3 goals or under this team should be able to win. But they need to help him out with rebounds and limiting grade A chances.

25 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

It not just this and that. There are all the factors that happens in a loss. MacEwen sure didn’t help the cause. He’s young he’ll figure it out but that fight was dumb as much as those penalties.

At the same time nobodies blaming Roussel or Sutter if those penalties are killed off. Just the same as MacEwen Is hero in fans eyes because he fought if the did win. Team game,

everything counts 

Yes we would, you have to stay discipline in the final 5 minutes of a game, especially if you have a 1 or 2 goal lead and the other team is yet to have a PP. Veterans should know this already, especially with refs these days. 

Also how did Mac not help the cause? They had 0 momentum after that fight. The momentum started when our veterans forgot hockey fundamentals.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1