The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Season Suspended

Rate this topic

6 hours ago, Filthy McNasty said:

Imagine this

middle of May or June hockey comes back no season, straight to playoffs, playoffs become best  of 3 instead of 7 

Vancouver finally wins its first cup but never respected by media or other teams for it as it Was not won traditionally like all other teams 

calling it now

Well I wouldn't respect it either tbh.. that's why any kind of March Madness type solution is stupid 

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Just saw TSN post Raptors players all tested negative. It'd be cool if all teams started doing that and played empty arenas. Granted, not the best use of resources nor should they really be priority. But we get hockey back sooner. 

Hate to say it but I think hockey is done this year. They can play in empty arenas but there are several problems to it, for example

teams are still travelling city to city with a chance of contracting the disease and further spreading among players if they’re asymptotic and don’t know they have it. Even knowing early might be too late for other players in the same locker room because of how it easy it spreads. 

another reason is, the playoffs are a way to generate revenue. Without fans coming to the arenas a significant portion of revenue is hindered. Yes they’ll still have TV money and all that. While it may be better than 0 total profit/revenue it then becomes a question of is the benefit of having some profit over none greater than the risk by travelling and playing while there’s no vaccine or any signs of containment? 

The US is still in the early stages of testing and I fully expect the number of cases to rise dramatically, it only makes it harder to see a season/playoffs any time soon.

this is really only the start of this virus and with no vaccines coming for another year or two cities might be on lockdown for while, unless by X date the majority of the population has already contracted the disease and recovered and therefore have built immunity to it. 

Edited by freshhprince95

55 minutes ago, freshhprince95 said:

Hate to say it but I think hockey is done this year. They can play in empty arenas but there are several problems to it, for example

teams are still travelling city to city with a chance of contracting the disease and further spreading among players if they’re asymptotic and don’t know they have it. Even knowing early might be too late for other players in the same locker room because of how it easy it spreads. 

another reason is, the playoffs are a way to generate revenue. Without fans coming to the arenas a significant portion of revenue is hindered. Yes they’ll still have TV money and all that. While it may be better than 0 total profit/revenue it then becomes a question of is the benefit of having some profit over none greater than the risk by travelling and playing while there’s no vaccine or any signs of containment? 

The US is still in the early stages of testing and I fully expect the number of cases to rise dramatically, it only makes it harder to see a season/playoffs any time soon.

this is really only the start of this virus and with no vaccines coming for another year or two cities might be on lockdown for while, unless by X date the majority of the population has already contracted the disease and recovered and therefore have built immunity to it. 

Yeah the NHL is largely still a gate driven league.  The NFL might be able to get away with playing to empty arenas for example (TV contract revenue is huge for them) but not hockey imho.

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Russian source, seems outlandish:

Pretty much what I was thinking makes the most sense except it would be 20 teams.

Order the standings by points percentage and then have the two wildcard teams and the next two teams battle it out for the final two spots. Either a 1 game elimination or a 3 game series depending on time.

That would mean in the West:

Nashville vs Minnesota 

Calgary vs Winnipeg 

In the East it would be:

Carolina vs Florida

NYI vs Columbus

Then playoffs continue like normal. Not sure how adding 8 extra teams would work because then you’d have an additional 2 teams in each conference.

30 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Stupid.

Why would teams that are mathematically eliminated get a chance at playoffs?

Much simpler and fairer formats than that.

They are probably thinking the idea is to help build revenue for each team on all the missed games. 

Could you imagine if Detroit or someone like that pulled through and won the cup ha 

Edited by Whale Tail

Just now, Whale Tail said:

They are probably thinking the idea is to help build revenue for each team on all the missed games. 

Playoff revenue is much higher and it’s not fair to the teams that have earned spots.

If they want teams to recoup revenue they would have to implement some form of revenue sharing.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Playoff revenue is much higher and it’s not fair to the teams that have earned spots.

If they want teams to recoup revenue they would have to implement some form of revenue sharing.

Well from that proposal all the teams currently in a playoff spot are in the 2nd round. More playoff team owners probably like this than the confirmed playoff teams sharing their $$  

If anything its a little unfair to the Canucks since we had a better winning % than the Jets. 

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Stupid.

Why would teams that are mathematically eliminated get a chance at playoffs?

Much simpler and fairer formats than that.

I like the 24 team model the best, covers all the teams technically in the wild card race.  Top 8 get first round bye.  Keep the conferences apart

37 minutes ago, Whale Tail said:

Well from that proposal all the teams currently in a playoff spot are in the 2nd round. More playoff team owners probably like this than the confirmed playoff teams sharing their $$  

If anything its a little unfair to the Canucks since we had a better winning % than the Jets. 

So the teams that did well miss out on a whole round of revenue?

Not sure why they’d go for that. The revenue from 3 or 4 home games in the playoffs vastly outweighs the revenue from the last 5 or 6 regular season home games.

Too much reward for teams that were clearly going to miss and would have had almost empty buildings anyways.

58 minutes ago, High and Inside said:

After listening to Jay and Dan and reports saying minimum of 2 months but more then likely looking at 4-6 months before a return I think the NHL should also pull the plug on the season and turn the focus onto next season. 

The virus may 'disappear' for a bit but it will be back in the fall - you can take that to the bank.  This is what happened with SARS.  People need to get used to living with this for the next few years.  SARS which i went through went from Nov 2002 until July 2003.  

I am here in Japan and things appear to be at a manageable state ( yesterday 30 new cases and i think there may have been one death in the last 2 weeks).  We have been in official shutdown for 2 weeks.  Some schools are starting to go back - why cause of the burden on kids and parents.  And things look to be manageable.  The economy is getting slammed hard here.   My friend's school starts tomorrow.

The Japanese gov't identified 15 clusters here.  All were live houses, drinking establishments, gyms, care facilities for elderly, and conference symposium settings.  The largest infection was just over 50.  The average is 10-15 ish.  Gyms here are heavily used by the elderly.   So not large sporting events or other events have been found to be clusters - yet.  The cluster spots as you can guess share common features.  

People are thinking first week of April but the word on the street is that around the 3rd week of April that will mean close to 8 weeks here.  Teams are still practicing here.  I went to a uni game this week.  I think the sports will start here in early April with no fans until later.

Lastly you can have games by making the right planning

refunds for people who might be sick so they don't feel they need to go

Stagger arriving and leaving and using toilets

extensive and sustained cleaning

hand sanitizer everywhere

limited food and drink sales to avoid toilet use

only allow for half filled games and creating some kind of spaced sitting