The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #1

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #1  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the Greatest Canuck of All-Time?

• D. Sedin
    • H. Sedin
    • K. McLean
    • M. Naslund
    • P. Bure
    • R. Luongo
    • S. Smyl
    • T. Bertuzzi
    • T. Gradin
    • T. Linden

This poll is closed to new votes

Bure was a unique talent.  Hank was a great Canuck too, but Pavel was the best.  No one could electrify the building (home and away) like Pavel.  He was the “Russian Rocket”.  Love Hank, but does he have a hockey nickname of Pavel’s level?  

• Upvote 1

I don’t know if it’s possible but if everyone had 5 votes for different players we’d get a better list, this way won’t we just end up with a whole bunch of nominees with zero votes. Or maybe name the top 10 then we all re-vote with the top 10 removed, rinse/repeat 3 more times.

9 minutes ago, J-23 said:

In terms of what skill? Or everything?

Exactly. 

That's why I chose Linden, and Smyl would be very close behind. 

Those are the kind of guys you want to go to war with. Look at what Linden went through in game 7 against the Rangers... AND scored 2 goals. 

Bure's electrifying, no doubt. The Sedins sorcery is epic. But I want guys who will fight tooth and nail, and do whatever it takes to win. (in a hard hitting, good way) 

• Huggy Bear 1

5 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Exactly. 

That's why I chose Linden, and Smyl would be very close behind. 

Those are the kind of guys you want to go to war with. Look at what Linden went through in game 7 against the Rangers... AND scored 2 goals. 

Bure's electrifying, no doubt. The Sedins sorcery is epic. But I want guys who will fight tooth and nail, and do whatever it takes to win. (in a hard hitting, good way) 

If it’s skill only I’m going with Bure.

If it was everything like legacy, points, off the ice, Playoff performance, being clutch, it’s a whole different ball game.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, J-23 said:

If it’s skill only I’m going with Bure.

If it was everything like legacy, points, off the ice, Playoff performance, being clutch, it’s a whole different ball game.

Yeah, and that's right. Top 50 Canucks of All-Time, based on what? 

All I'm saying is if I'm picking a team, I'm going to choose Linden or Smyl before Bure or the Sedins. 

It's my opinion, but those are the guys I want leading the way.

Edit: AJ explained earlier that it's up to our own interpretation of what we think constitutes the best.

Edited by BarnBurner
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

He's even higher then that skill wise.

Top 5 at least.   I nominate as well 

A lot of people say he’s more talented than Bure was. The only thing Bure had over Mogilny was his skating.

19 minutes ago, shiznak said:

A lot of people say he’s more talented than Bure was. The only thing Bure had over Mogilny was his skating.

Bure had a mean streak, I so miss that. He was just so exciting to watch. 

I based my vote on who I enjoyed watching the most and hands down it was Bure.

Edited by Dumb Nuck
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Bure had a mean streak, I so miss that. He was just so exciting to watch. 

I based my vote on who I enjoyed watching the most and hands down it was Bure.

Mean streak?

I’ve rarely seen Bure throw a hit.

Now Mogilny had a mean streak. When motivate, no one could stop Almo. This what Aucoin had to say about Mogilny when they were teammates, here in Vancouver.

“Alex, he was not the most motivated guy because he was so &^@#ing good. He was so good it was scary.

“He could pass, he could shoot, he could skate, he could even play really physical. I’ve seen him bury guys in the corner, take the puck and go and score because he was pissed off – at will.

“(One time) we’re in the locker room and Keenan is all over him. We were like holy $&!# – normally he’s not on Mogilny like that.

“Mogilny looks up, he’s like, ‘Mike, have you ever heard of how I defected, how they &^@#ing threatened my family, how they wanted to kill everybody? You think you’re &^@#ing scaring me?’

“We were like, ‘Holy $&!#.’ It was pretty crazy. Mike didn’t know what to say – he normally gets the last word.”

He also said in this interview, if he had a choice between Bure, Almo, or Mess to start a franchise. He would take Mogilny over the other two.

Edited by shiznak

What the heck, since we're all stuck around twiddling our thumbs, I'll give a shot at an actual top 50 here and maybe it will bring up a few names for people to consider, that they may have forgotten about...

1-10 (no particular order)

Trevor Linden, Stan Smyl, Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin, Kirk McLean, Richard Brodeur, Roberto Luongo, Markus Naslund, Pavel Bure, Thomas Gradin

11-20 (npo)

Harold Snepsts, Tony Tanti, Cliff Ronning, Doug Lidster, Alex Burrows, Tiger Williams, Dave Babych, Gary Smith, Orland Kurtenbach, Alex Edler

21-30 (npo)

Gino Odjick, Petri Skriko, Ryan Kesler, Andre Boudrias, Alexander Mogilny, Elias Petterson, Patrik Sundstrom, Don Lever, Mattias Ohlund, Todd Bertuzzi

31-40 (npo)

Barry Pederson, Dennis Kearns, Dale Tallon, Chris Oddleifson, Jyrki Lumme, Kevin McCarthy, Geoff Courtnall, Brendan Morrison, Dennis Ververgaert, Greg Adams

41-50 (npo)

Ron Sedlbauer, Brock Boeser, Jakob Markstrom, Curt Fraser, Glen Hanlon, Bo Horvat, Igor Larionov, Ed Jovanovski, Sami Salo, Kevin Bieksa

51-62

John Garrett, Rick Lanz, Doug Halward, Ivan Hlinka, Ivan Boldirev, Jannik Hansen, Gerald Diduck, Dana Murzyn, Garth Butcher, Chris Tanev, Murray Craven, Christian Ehrhoff

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I mean...we don't really have to look much further than Shane Churla for evidence, do we?

Or Mogilny's Byng.   I watched most of the games with both them in the lineup - but saying Bure was a better skater and Mogilny was a better everything else including mean streak (Bure did crunch or hit so I'm not sure where this is coming from - and best yes I've read Acuions funny comments before) - other then a personal preference which is understandable.

They were both otherworldly talents for sure - and from a pure skill perspective they would go one and  two on most lists - Bure/Mogilny followed by the Sedins and Naslund (for now)...

• Vintage 1