The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nova Scotia shooter dead after killing 22 people/CDN Govt "assault style" weapons ban.

nuckin_futz

Sorry @Jimmy McGill one more post. See you in court.

• 117.15 (1) Subject to subsection (2), the Governor in Council may make regulations prescribing anything that by this Part is to be or may be prescribed.

• Marginal note:Restriction

(2) In making regulations, the Governor in Council may not prescribe any thing to be a prohibited firearm, a restricted firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device or prohibited ammunition if, in the opinion of the Governor in Council, the thing to be prescribed is reasonable for use in Canada for hunting or sporting purposes.

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

And the award for largest possible reach goes to...

Don't quote me I'm taking the day off. Use this time to educate yourself on the trans Canada. 

I'll be in the Trump thread if u need me.

Edited by Ryan Strome

52 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

One thing I have noticed.

I have a lot of friends and family that own guns. I enjoy shooting myself, but procrastinated getting my PAL earlier this year. I have ordered a cool crossbow though.

Anyway, the thing I have noticed is that I don't know any gun owner that only has one or two guns. Every single person I know have multiples.

Any gun owners on here that only own one or two? 

Me.  I have me two muzzle loaders and had a nice bolt action.  But I never used my Ruger so I sold it to a local outdoors store (that was annoying by the way, look in to transfer of ownership to a business)

I can literally only shoot one gun at a time.  My remmies are just fine and they'll put a round through a bull elk without issue.  The idea of owning more than I can shoot is like owning extra cars.  It makes no sense to me

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Don't quote me I'm taking the day off. Use this time to educate yourself on the trans Canada. 

I'll be in the Trump thread if u need me.

No you're not.  You're addicted to attention.

If you're going away though, brush up on equalization and your claims that you have never spoken ill of Canada.

I'm still waiting for your "educating" response on how all of that works.

• Cheers 1

I was reading a comment earlier online about someone saying the ban should have happened years ago. How it would have prevented the shooting in Nova Scotia.  I told him that the firearms used were obtained illegally, mostly from the USA.  He still said this legislation would have prevented it.   That's the logic of many who are anit gun. 

This will do very little to prevent shootings when we have the USA below us with the worlds longest unprotected border.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grapefruits said:

I was reading a comment earlier online about someone saying the ban should have happened years ago. How it would have prevented the shooting in Nova Scotia.  I told him that the firearms used were obtained illegally, mostly from the USA.  He still said this legislation would have prevented it.   That's the logic of many who are anit gun. 

This will do very little to prevent shootings when we have the USA below us with the worlds longest unprotected border.

There are plenty of us who are not anti gun, yet we want this.   Even in the US, the majority of NRA members are for increased gun control measures like universal background checks.   Do no assume that people who support this ban are anti gun.  I have shot and possessed plenty of guns. 

I have no problems with traditional platforms like bolt, lever, pump, single and double shot.  Where the line should be is in the semi-auto area and hand guns.  As far as I'm concerned, ban all of those.  But then you will have a percentage of gun owners who turn into temper tantrum toddlers cause their toys got taken away.   Boo hoo.

And again, criminals gonna criminal is not an argument against bans/regulations/legislation.   Period. 

• Wat 1

4 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Giving yourself dictatorial power is dumb so I guess you're saying Hitler wasn't wrong when he tried it?

Thread has officially been Godwin'd. 

Congrats. 

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

You need different guns based on what you are hunting. And for the most part if you hunt you eat all sorts of wild game not just deer or waterfowl, so you need a different firearm for each. 

It’s illegal to hunt the wrong type of game with the wrong type of firearm and for good reason.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of this as I don't hunt, but makes total sense.

I understand avid hunters having a lot of guns. I think the average hobbyist would have around 5. Kinda like my guitar collection, I use different ones for different applications. Beyond that I would start calling it an arsenal. I know a few dudes that have a ridiculous amount. In fact as I mentioned, most people seem to have quite a few.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Sorry @Jimmy McGill one more post. See you in court.

• 117.15 (1) Subject to subsection (2), the Governor in Council may make regulations prescribing anything that by this Part is to be or may be prescribed.

• Marginal note:Restriction

(2) In making regulations, the Governor in Council may not prescribe any thing to be a prohibited firearm, a restricted firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device or prohibited ammunition if, in the opinion of the Governor in Council, the thing to be prescribed is reasonable for use in Canada for hunting or sporting purposes.

you need to stop doing this to yourself. 

1 hour ago, Grapefruits said:

It may have prevented the one that saw 3 RCMP officers killed in Moncton a few years ago that occurred with legal firearms. 

This legislation is just one leg of a stool, we still need to track gun purchases, buy back dangerous ones and bring in much stricter border control. 

You're never going to bring it to zero gun crime, but you can try. 

I'm open to hearing more about new smart gun technology in lieu of buybacks or databases, that could be a good middle ground. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

It may have prevented the one that saw 3 RCMP officers killed in Moncton a few years ago that occurred with legal firearms. 

This legislation is just one leg of a stool, we still need to track gun purchases, buy back dangerous ones and bring in much stricter border control. 

You're never going to bring it to zero gun crime, but you can try. 

I'm open to hearing more about new smart gun technology in lieu of buybacks or databases, that could be a good middle ground. 

Lol what sound reasoning, very compelling. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats cold, even for you. 

No it's not it's troubling how quick you are to jump on something you admit may not work. I feel if we pass legislation saying no muslim can own a van or have a license we may stop some deaths but it's likely not fair to law abiding muslims is it?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

No kidding. 

How hard can it be? We have thumb and/or face recognition for cell phones. What a crazy idea it would be to implement that for products designed to kill. 

Seems simple. Grab the grip, it recognises your thumb print, if you're the owner ..you're go to go. 

• Cheers 1