The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Talks of Return in July

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it does kind of feel like this would be 'our year' doesn't it? :lol:

I think the logistics are very possible. It could certainly begin with everyone virus-free but man just one case tanks the whole thing. Pretty risky, but the TV revenue will be massive. I bet they go with a pay per view model for the playoffs. 

What about people that already signed up for NHL package (online or cable)? That's not going to sit well with fans. I hope they don't do that, but knowing NHL and the $hitty people that run it, you never know.

Edited by khay
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it does kind of feel like this would be 'our year' doesn't it? :lol:

I think the logistics are very possible. It could certainly begin with everyone virus-free but man just one case tanks the whole thing. Pretty risky, but the TV revenue will be massive. I bet they go with a pay per view model for the playoffs. 

:o..That would suck but I'm sure people will find ways to stream the game. <_<

And yes, If the Blues could do it, any team can! I like this team and think they could cause some damage if we get in.

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, khay said:

What about people that already signed up for NHL package (online or cable)? That's not going to seat well with fans. I hope they don't do that, but knowing NHL and the $hitty people that run it, you never know.

I am certainly not expecting Shaw to refund any of the cash I spent on their centre ice package

• Cheers 2

After viewing this thread.......

And viewing this thread.......

....I felt compelled to post my thoughts on these issues.

Firstly, and most importantly, this all means nothing if medical leaders put the kybosh on any such events in any of those time periods; very much a no brainer.

That being said...........

......On the topic of the Draft.  

There's no way that can happen till after the season's done. Seriously. How can trades/movement be accomplished? Ya' can't do that before teams finish this season. Players with knowledge that they're playing for another team and location next season, while having to finish play with their present team this season, would be an emotional hurdle of monumental proportions to overcome.

.......Finishing the Regular season.

In the event that it's a  99.9% go ahead, needless to say, all Covid-19 precautions will be executed; no exceptions! They can stagger 14 day isolating and such as the teams/NHL see fit with regards to their respective 4 Divisional regions selected.

Looking at this............352930063_GamesPlayed.thumb.png.ded4a728ff31ddcdc3c1d2840200ef3b.png

Okay. I'm just a Canuck fanboy and have been watching hockey since the 'Nucks entered the league in 1970. I'm not an expert. I just have ideas.......

........This is what I think should go down.........

We see the max amount of games played for some teams is 71 while the Canes and Isl's with 68 games played the least.

Staying with the max 71 games played and for example sake, we'll stay with the Metropolitan Division.........

-   Teams with the least games, play each other. So, Isl's vs Cane's play each other.....now they're at 69.

-   With the remaining Four teams at 69 games, these Six are then arranged in regards to their records. Then 3rd vs 4th, 5th vs 6th....You get it...

-   Until such time that all teams have played the maximum games in their respective divisions, in the Metro Div. Rangers and Jackets at 70 games. Then all teams within that division again are arranged via their records, and then 1st vs 2nd, 3rd vs 4th...........blah, blah, blah..............

Then the teams in their divisions are again arranged as such regarding their records, and they do it all over again with this format till the amount of games played set by the NHL big wigs, are done......I don't know what that number will be, but Covid has really been a factor and less games to finish the season, the better. All rules for the regular season apply.

It's interesting to note that since the NHL is proposing four regions felicitous to respective division regular season play, then it's logical to return to one of two Divisional playoff formats

Round 1......12-16 teams

-  Back to old school...2nd vs 3rd  in a multi 3, 5, or 7 game series. Top seed earns a bye.............Or................

-  Top Four, 1st vs 2nd, 3rd vs 4th via multi game series

Round 2......8 teams

-  Top Two Division winners play Quarter Finals via multi game series 

Round 3......4 teams

'This is where it gets tricky regarding Covid-19 issues; Two individual teams requiring to play in One region/city/arena only. Another 14 day delay for isolation of one or both teams. Makes most sense for top team to stay while the other travels to that city for the Semi's.'

-   Top Two Division winners in their respective Conference play Semi's via multi game series

With the first two or three rounds, play less games; for reasons below....

Round 4.....2 teams... Stanley Cup Finals!!!!!

-   As per usual format. Same Covid-19 issues as mentioned above. Leave the Finals at a best out of Seven

I'd like to see less games played to shorten an already delayed season. Mostly because of the Covid-19 precautions. I strongly believe those precautions will be in effect at that time and long after a 2019-2020 Stanley Cup Champ is crowned..........

Wait at least Two Weeks after the SC to do the virtual expansion/entry draft. 

It was mentioned somewhere the concern of Arena Ice Integrity with hockey going on in the warm summer months. Without live spectators in the stands to raise rink temps, I don't think it's an issue.

The TV and stream viewing will be off the charts! I'm sure everyone involved will make some serious money from all this effort..........If this happens at all..........aroo........

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, NexusRift said:

After viewing this thread.......

And viewing this thread.......

....I felt compelled to post my thoughts on these issues.

Firstly, and most importantly, this all means nothing if medical leaders put the kybosh on any such events in any of those time periods; very much a no brainer.

That being said...........

......On the topic of the Draft.  

There's no way that can happen till after the season's done. Seriously. How can trades/movement be accomplished? Ya' can't do that before teams finish this season. Players with knowledge that they're playing for another team and location next season, while having to finish play with their present team this season, would be an emotional hurdle of monumental proportions to overcome.

.......Finishing the Regular season.

In the event that it's a  99.9% go ahead, needless to say, all Covid-19 precautions will be executed; no exceptions! They can stagger 14 day isolating and such as the teams/NHL see fit with regards to their respective 4 Divisional regions selected.

Looking at this............352930063_GamesPlayed.thumb.png.ded4a728ff31ddcdc3c1d2840200ef3b.png

Okay. I'm just a Canuck fanboy and have been watching hockey since the 'Nucks entered the league in 1970. I'm not an expert. I just have ideas.......

........This is what I think should go down.........

We see the max amount of games played for some teams is 71 while the Canes and Isl's with 68 games played the least.

Staying with the max 71 games played and for example sake, we'll stay with the Metropolitan Division.........

-   Teams with the least games, play each other. So, Isl's vs Cane's play each other.....now they're at 69.

-   With the remaining Four teams at 69 games, these Six are then arranged in regards to their records. Then 3rd vs 4th, 5th vs 6th....You get it...

-   Until such time that all teams have played the maximum games in their respective divisions, in the Metro Div. Rangers and Jackets at 70 games. Then all teams within that division again are arranged via their records, and then 1st vs 2nd, 3rd vs 4th...........blah, blah, blah..............

Then the teams in their divisions are again arranged as such regarding their records, and they do it all over again with this format till the amount of games played set by the NHL big wigs, are done......I don't know what that number will be, but Covid has really been a factor and less games to finish the season, the better. All rules for the regular season apply.

It's interesting to note that since the NHL is proposing four regions felicitous to respective division regular season play, then it's logical to return to one of two Divisional playoff formats

Round 1......12-16 teams

-  Back to old school...2nd vs 3rd  in a multi 3, 5, or 7 game series. Top seed earns a bye.............Or................

-  Top Four, 1st vs 2nd, 3rd vs 4th via multi game series

Round 2......8 teams

-  Top Two Division winners play Quarter Finals via multi game series 

Round 3......4 teams

'This is where it gets tricky regarding Covid-19 issues; Two individual teams requiring to play in One region/city/arena only. Another 14 day delay for isolation of one or both teams. Makes most sense for top team to stay while the other travels to that city for the Semi's.'

-   Top Two Division winners in their respective Conference play Semi's via multi game series

With the first two or three rounds, play less games; for reasons below....

Round 4.....2 teams... Stanley Cup Finals!!!!!

-   As per usual format. Same Covid-19 issues as mentioned above. Leave the Finals at a best out of Seven

I'd like to see less games played to shorten an already delayed season. Mostly because of the Covid-19 precautions. I strongly believe those precautions will be in effect at that time and long after a 2019-2020 Stanley Cup Champ is crowned..........

Wait at least Two Weeks after the SC to do the virtual expansion/entry draft. 

It was mentioned somewhere the concern of Arena Ice Integrity with hockey going on in the warm summer months. Without live spectators in the stands to raise rink temps, I don't think it's an issue.

The TV and stream viewing will be off the charts! I'm sure everyone involved will make some serious money from all this effort..........If this happens at all..........aroo........

Seattle Expansion is 21-22 season..  otherwise that would be another debacle..

i think the ice integrity is a concern because of the amount of practices and games played daily on a limited amount of rinks.

You can’t have 1 game a night on a single surface in Condensed Arena Usability..  Summer adds to the problem.

Hypothetically,       4-5 arenas holding 2 games a day is 8-10 games per day..  

2 games per arena =  incl. warm up / pregame / ice maintenance, a day is roughly 6-8 hrs of ice time . per arena.

then teams would need practice time. ..   3 teams per day?

=  2 hrs each practice ?     that’s another 6 hrs of ice time per arena. 

Hypothetically ..   12 -14 hrs of continuous ice usage by professionals averaging 200 lbs and above average power.

Expand on Arenas used to 10. ?     Dial that in with Basketballs needs?   

I say pull pull the plug and address the draft / trade issues and CBA implications..    allow a few more buy outs so teams can reconstruct at both ends.

Interesting times.

2 hours ago, khay said:

What about people that already signed up for NHL package (online or cable)? That's not going to sit well with fans. I hope they don't do that, but knowing NHL and the $hitty people that run it, you never know.

I think they could justify it tbh, if it means league survival. Depends on how bad thing are and how much the package would be.

9 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

i think the ice integrity is a concern because of the amount of practices and games played daily on a limited amount of rinks.

You can’t have 1 game a night on a single surface in Condensed Arena Usability..  Summer adds to the problem.

2 games per arena =  incl. warm up / pregame / ice maintenance, a day is roughly 6-8 hrs of ice time . per arena.

Hypothetically ..   12 -14 hrs of continuous ice usage by professionals averaging 200 lbs and above average power.

I say pull pull the plug and address the draft / trade issues and CBA implications..    allow a few more buy outs so teams can reconstruct at both ends.

Interesting times.

Thanks for the up on the Seattle Expansion Draft.

I don't know if this was posted in another thread but..............

https://www.nhl.com/news/commissioner-gary-bettman-on-scenario-to-resume-nhl-season/c-316699898

I know much of what's discussed in that piece is still up in the air. I'm not an ice arena expert, but you seem to know more that me. So.........

"As many as four NHL arenas would host three games each per day without fans in one of the scenarios the League is considering to finish the season, Commissioner Gary Bettman told Sportsnet on Wednesday."

Three games per day. Obviously the NHL big wigs thinks it's okay. I dunno. Like I said. I'm no expert. 

Truth be told, I've resigned myself to the fact that the season is done. I'm hopeful. I believe for the health of our communities is important and NHL Hockey on TV would aid in the mental and emotional states of many individuals in our country. (Canada.) However, I'm okay with whatever is decided.

I agree with your last paragraph; just go with the things that can be done off the ice. A virtual draft and free agent broadcast might quell some anxiety from the absence of Hockey. At least it'll be something.

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Interesting times.

Ice quality is way down their list of concerns right now.

They’ll address that if/when they get to that point. At which point they’ll consult the ice maintenance experts.

Somehow I don’t think that will be the sticking point in a return however. They’ll likely choose only newer arenas like Edmonton’s which has state of the art ice making and temperature control.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Ice quality is way down their list of concerns right now.

They’ll address that if/when they get to that point. At which point they’ll consult the ice maintenance experts.

Somehow I don’t think that will be the sticking point in a return however. They’ll likely choose only newer arenas like Edmonton’s which has state of the art ice making and temperature control.

Also a lot easier to deal with when you don't have 18000 breathing, sweating fans in the building.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Also a lot easier to deal with when you don't have 18000 breathing, sweating fans in the building.

Exactly, that’s a big factor too.

Not to mention the constant switch over from hockey to basketball/lacrosse/concerts wouldn’t be happening. 

Arenas have already shown they can play 3 games a day during olympics/world juniors. Likely means we’ll see more morning/afternoon games.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

First. Get everyone equal to the 72 game mark.

Final standings, to see who gets in.

Shortened schedule for playoffs:

Best of 5 series.

All 15 minute periods, of 5 on 5.

Any OT 3 on 3 (eliminates long games)

Stanley Cup 7 game series.

No

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Hairy,  the more Hockey Season can push into the Baseball Season is a gift from the Gods !   

... given the the overall situation, perhaps it’s better to wait as long as they can to finish the 19-20 season, 

and have a shortened “off season” (4 week ? ),  before starting the 20-22 season.

OF course, Science and common sense  leading any decisions.

i can see that training and practices before anything starts should be mandatory for at least 3 weeks.. I’m sure that would allow management to deal with player and personnel itineraries..

but the thought of all of those needs being met is to realize the incredible endeavour in itself.

The league is right to think of it as the end of season and playoffs being showcased as a “Giant Hockey Town” or it’s own DisneyLand,

but even then,  3-4- or 5 games a day on one sheet of ice ?

If it happens,  There will be at least **** 4 asterisks besides this Cup win,   hiding the favourite cuss word of anyone’s choice.

8 Rinks arena like set up. A centralized spot. 

1 hour ago, falcon45ca said:

No

Last year the playoffs went from April 10 to June 12. Which is approximately 2 months. There's no way the NHL can go that long. Plus a shortened playoff schedule  reduces chances for infection. 

(2018 NHL playoffs went from  April 11 to June 7)

A 3 on 3 OT would guarantee teams could be back to their hotel's  before midnight to rest if they have a game the next day. More rest and more recovery means a 5 game series can be done in a week.

Edited by Hairy Kneel

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

8 Rinks arena like set up. A centralized spot. 

You practically need the full size venues just to televise properly...

I can’t see us finishing this season.

Let it go unfinished and stand as its own monument in respect of Life and Life Lost..  Leave that portion of Silver bare and un-engraved where a Team and Names would have been placed.

By July 1st Hockey should be gearing up for the start of September Camps.

i would hate to see the pressure of finishing the 19-20 season become the deeper regret at a time where this entire Pandemic could become detrimentaly worse for any body, in any way over Entertainment and Sport.

This comment is not only including players..  it’s everyone in its entire Buisness and Industry.

What does or doesn't happen over the next 3 months holds the balance of the Following Season by 2 fingers.. 

as it does for so many others everywhere.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Like 1

I see your point Sammy.

But IF they wanted to finish off the season. A set of games at 8 rinks could finish off the season to 72-74 games fairly easily.

Then do the 1st round at 8 rinks in a week, AHL style TV.

Then move to pro arenas for 2nd round and TV capability. Finish by end of July. Delay the next season by a month. Shorten to another 70-80 game schedule.

SC done by June 15- July 23 approximately. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I see your point Sammy.

But IF they wanted to finish off the season. A set of games at 8 rinks could finish off the season to 72-74 games fairly easily.

Then do the 1st round at 8 rinks in a week, AHL style TV.

Then move to pro arenas for 2nd round and TV capability. Finish by end of July. Delay the next season by a month. Shorten to another 70-80 game schedule.

SC done by June 15- July 23 approximately. 

Like wise Hairy,.  I too want to see this season finished..       as much of an optimist I am..   “Murphy’s Law”  is one to shed light on in this type of predicament,.   Just too many variables and unknowns..    

If the practice of patience is truly a virtue ,  it is one I would be grateful to look at in hindsight, and dwell on all of everything  that could have gone wrong.  

Than to be wrong and wish we would have had a little more patience in this matter.

• Cheers 1