The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Climate experts call for ‘dangerous’ Michael Moore film to be taken down

Ryan Strome

How many are actually calling for the film to be censored? It seems like some just want it taken off a particular website that advocates for a particular cause. That isn't censorship. If Michael Moore started his own website, hosted the video, and people called for it to be taken down, then that is censorship. 

This is just going to be used for PR. Let's make people think the video is being banned so that more will watch it. 

Edited by Down by the River

The best thing you can do to combat this, is make a response video and go over why his facts are skewed (the source is biased, unreliable, etc...) and bring your own findings to the table. There was a video that Doctor Mike from youtube did in response to someone else's video (would post, but I'm at work and we don't have YT access right now), and it demonstrated a good way to bring up your own points and ideas while refuting (without attacking the opposition) those the originator presented.

This is no different than pretty much every persuasive documentary, you state your position on a specific topic then find facts to back it up with, while ignoring any facts that contradict your stance. Its up to the viewer to form their own view and pretty easy to fact check these days.      

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

The biggest concern to me in society these days is not someone making a movie... it is CENSORSHIP. What the HELL Is wrong with people these days and censorship? "Take it down"? Why!!! Free speech should let us all be able to make up our own minds. This isn't communist China, this is a free land. Today I read that a school board in Alaska banned The Great Gatsby from their list of approved books because it has too much sexual content. Give me a break. Also, all the banning of Nazi/Hitler stuff is ridiculous. I read that Mein Kampf is being banned and removed from libraries. Anything with Nazi content in it, including historical stuff, is being removed from youtube. There were professors at a university who teach HISTORY that had their lectures and videos removed from youtube because they talked about Hitler.

No folks, climate change isn't the biggest threat to us as a society... I would say a far bigger threat is censorship.

• Cheers 3

31 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

This is no different than pretty much every persuasive documentary, you state your position on a specific topic then find facts to back it up with, while ignoring any facts that contradict your stance. Its up to the viewer to form their own view and pretty easy to fact check these days.      

Exactly!

7 minutes ago, DonaldBrashear said:

The biggest concern to me in society these days is not someone making a movie... it is CENSORSHIP. What the HELL Is wrong with people these days and censorship? "Take it down"? Why!!! Free speech should let us all be able to make up our own minds. This isn't communist China, this is a free land. Today I read that a school board in Alaska banned The Great Gatsby from their list of approved books because it has too much sexual content. Give me a break. Also, all the banning of Nazi/Hitler stuff is ridiculous. I read that Mein Kampf is being banned and removed from libraries. Anything with Nazi content in it, including historical stuff, is being removed from youtube. There were professors at a university who teach HISTORY that had their lectures and videos removed from youtube because they talked about Hitler.

No folks, climate change isn't the biggest threat to us as a society... I would say a far bigger threat is censorship.

Censorship is not an existential threat. Climate change is. Key word, existential, as in, threat to your literal existence. 

• Cheers 2

I support the move away from fossil fuels, but this film does make some interesting points regarding the use of fossil fuels to create other power sources that create very little energy to abate the use of fossil fuels. The mechanical structures of both solar and wind power also have a very short life. 

I think we have a much better chance slowing the erosion of the ozone by conservation. Walk and bike more if you can, or take public transit when possible (during non COVID times of course) use less power at home etc. We as a society over consume in so many ways beyond over use of energy.

Until technology improves, wind and solar are not the answer imho.

7 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

The climate change community are very cult like. Like a religion. Agree with us or else. Not all of them. But many are. Too many. This helps to establish that notion. 

This is how I feel also. Most never seem open to a discussion. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, aliboy said:

Blair King is a Ph.D Environmental Scientist who is pretty much spot on IMO, here is his review.

Yep. Well explained and fairly consistent with what I surmised from looking at people's initial reactions.

I've always been an advocate of Wind and Solar and a skeptic on BioFuel, so i feel a bit vindicated by reading this.

Would have been nice if he provided details on the "high profile" people benefiting from the BioFuel industry, but I suppose I can watch the doc and see for myself.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

The climate change community are very cult like. Like a religion. Agree with us or else. Not all of them. But many are. Too many. This helps to establish that notion. 

And they insist on a, say no to everything approach, which they sometimes back up with bad science. Misrepresenting BC LNG as having the same carbon footprint as coal, which it does not, unwilling to acknowledge the reductions it could help achieve in other nations like China, etc. One of my favorites is those who oppose the Site C dam, but then want all EV's on the road, not realizing that we must have Site C to have the power for the EV's and that still won't be enough, so they shoot themselves in the foot seemingly without realizing it.

5 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Censorship is a huge problem... but people are getting riled up about a non-event. In what sense has censorship taken place?

This is a good point. Some people are calling for it, but it hasn't happened as of yet.

• Upvote 1