The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] NHL Return To Play Thread (24 team play off, 15 team draft lottery)

Rate this topic

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

I honestly can't believe theyre even contemplating playing games in the US and Vegas to boot.  

Vegas seems unlikely to be a hub city.  Not enough ice as the plan is to go with only 2 hubs - so 12 teams in each.    

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, BPA said:

Canucks vs Minnesota!!!!

Bring it on!!!!!

I predict Vancouver in best of 5 series, Vancouver wins series in 4 games...

Vancouver  - forwards  much better

Minnesota -  slight edge on defence

Vancouver  - Edge Goaltender -Solid wall with Marky,  edge to Vancouver...

Best of 5 =  3 - 1 Vancouver

Really excited about healthy forward group will be so exciting to watch them fill the net against Minnesota...

Pettersson, Miller, Taffoli, Boeser, Horvat, Pearson, Virtanen, Gaudette, that is 8 exciting forward, Ferland ? Leivo ? MacEwen, Roussel special team Beagle, Sutter, Motte.....

GO CANUCKS GO !!

Healthy Vancouver can beat Vegas....

Edited by wildcam
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Petey40 said:

Why? It’s still gonna be a lot of fun to watch. This is an unprecedented situation and we don’t get to have the same things we did before this. It’s gonna be exciting to have hockey back in these unexciting times. Go Canucks Go!

I for sure will be excited to see what these guys can do amidst all this turmoil.

• Upvote 1

Just now, wildcam said:

I predict Vancouver in best of 5 series Vancouver wins series in 4 games...

Vancouver forward much better

Minnesota -  slight edge on defence

Vancouver  - Edge Goaltender -Solid wall with Marky edge to Vancouver...

Best of 5 =  3 - 1 Vancouver

Really excited about healthy forward group will be so exciting to watch them fill the net against Minnesota...

Pettersson, Miller, Taffoli, Boeser, Horvat, Pearson, Virtanen, Gaudette, that is 8 exciting forward, Ferland ? Leivo ? MacEwen, Roussel special team Beagle, Sutter, Motte.....

GO CANUCKS GO !!

Healthy Vancouver can beat Vegas....

Minnesota are one if not the best defensive team in the league.   They have received well below average goal tending.  Canucks are one of the worst defensive teams in the league but are saved by stellar goaltending.  Thomas Drance was telling Russo again today: "The Canucks are potent offensively with bad defense and stellar goaltending."

Numbers agree with him - whether video tracking, heat maps or more traditional advanced stats.  Goaltending is going to make a huge difference.  Markstrom is in Sweden and rinks are open there.  

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, mll said:

Not equal odds for the 2nd lottery:

The odds for each losing team in the Qualifying Round for the first drawing of the Second Phase, determined by inverse order of regular-season point percentage, will be as follows:

Team A -- 24.5 percent

Team B -- 20.4 percent

Team C -- 14.3 percent

Team D -- 12.2 percent

Team E -- 10.2 percent

Team F -- 8.2 percent

Team G -- 6.1 percent

Team H -- 4.1 percent

Bettman literally said the odds of winning the second lottery are evenly divided between the teams that lost the play in.

12 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Bettman literally said the odds of winning the second lottery are evenly divided between the teams that lost the play in.

It was from the NHL website describing the lottery.  Just noticed that they changed the wording.  12.5% for each team now and no scale.

https://www.nhl.com/news/2020-nhl-draft-lottery-procedure/c-317026602

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Toews said:

If I am understanding the lottery correctly they are going to use placeholders for picks 8-15, if a placeholder pick wins a top 3 pick then a separate lottery will be held with equal odds for all the teams that lost in the play-in. There is a very real possibility that losing would give you a 1/8 chance at a top 3 pick. Imagine if one of the placeholder picks win 1st overall, Habs fans would want to tank for a 1/8 chance at Lafraniere than an improbable run to the end.

This is exactly why it makes no sense to do lottery until the play in is done. If a we got a shot at a top 3 pick I'd honestly want to lose to the Wild. Are our chances really that good at the cup this year? I like the youthful energy the team has but if I'm being realistic I'd rather take a 1 in 8 shot at a top 3 pick

2 minutes ago, mll said:

That's from the NHL website describing the lottery.  

https://www.nhl.com/news/2020-nhl-draft-lottery-procedure/c-317026602

This is from that link

The odds for each losing team in the Qualifying Round for the first drawing of the Second Phase are 12.5 percent.

Still no idea where you got those numbers from before.

57 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

wait i thought i heard equal odds from bettman talking. maybe im just crazy

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Where did you get that from?

That is even worse in terms of the fringe teams benefitting from tanking.  Montreal knows it is Team A if it loses right?

If they know a placeholder is in 1st overall, and possibly another placeholder in the top 3 as well... those are incredible odds compared with the odds of winning 5 playoff rounds.

37 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

this is different than what the NHL showed

They changed the wording.  I took the scale from the NHL website.  It now shows 12.5% across the board.  

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

Just now, mll said:

They changed the wording.  I took the scale from their website.  It now shows 12.5% across the board.  

Ok. So the NHL &^@#ed up in their own report. Why am I not surprised? 

Could you edit your post from before so people don't get confused?

2 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Ok. So the NHL &^@#ed up in their own report. Why am I not surprised? 

Could you edit your post from before so people don't get confused?

I did.  Thanks.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StealthNuck said:

1. What tone-deaf, entitled statement. 

2. Given the dumpster fire the US is, I'm ok with this. 

I’ve kind of thought all along that a place like Columbus would get it in the East and that either Minny or Edmonton would get it in the west. I’d be fine with a Minnesota/Columbus hub arrangement.

38 minutes ago, mll said:

Minnesota are one if not the best defensive team in the league.   They have received well below average goal tending.  Canucks are one of the worst defensive teams in the league but are saved by stellar goaltending.  Thomas Drance was telling Russo again today: "The Canucks are potent offensively with bad defense and stellar goaltending."

Numbers agree with him - whether video tracking, heat maps or more traditional advanced stats.  Goaltending is going to make a huge difference.  Markstrom is in Sweden and rinks are open there.  

thinking that Elias has been practicing the whole time :wub:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

have you heard any word on signing ELCs to be able to join teams for the playoffs?

Russo from last week - really doesn't sound like they will allow it:  

And as The Athletic reported last week, a well-placed league source said there’s likely “zero chance” that the NHL will change its mind if the season resumes.

Deputy commissioner Bill Daly has made that clear to the Wild, sources say.

• Cheers 1